Author Topic: Any Ideas??  (Read 2184 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Know where you are coming from.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 01:53:23 AM »
I sort of know where you are coming from but I guess my question for you is what kind of money are you thinking of spending on a mortar or cannon? I too have a stong desire to own a mortar and am still having a hard time getting my wife to agree to letting me buy one but that's mainly because I want one that will cost a ton of money. For me it comes down to choices of buying nessesities like a new used car, a new couch, new kitchen floor, just paying the bills, etc etc,  or forking out $10,000 for a 10 inch mortar. Guess which one comes first? My wife is a local historian and loves the civil war and would be tickled pink if all I wanted was a $200 Coehorn but alas that just won't do it for me. More than likely I will never see a 10 incher in my yard and will have to settle on a small scaled down version but for now I dream of owning a full scale 10 incher. I even have looked into getting a lathe and making one myself but that can get very expensive as well.I guess my advice is to take her to a cannon shoot to inspire her interest in cannons and then start with a small inexpensive cannon ? Then work up to bigger ones. It is interesting how many folks on this forum have multiple cannons. All I can figure is that they make a heck of alot more money than I do?

Scott

Offline Artilleryman

Any Ideas??
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 02:12:47 AM »
If the cost is too much think about going partners with someone.  My brother and I are partners and are able to purchase guns that we would not be able to afford on our own.  I went partners with two other fellows years ago on a full scale Parrott, since then I have bought them out.  Form an organization that buys the gun.  You need a crew for the big guns anyway especially if you are going to a 10 inch mortar.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Any Ideas??
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 02:43:44 AM »
Look into joining a reenacting group.  There are lots of them around.  I havenÂ’t met any yet that werenÂ’t willing to help out someone new.  You can play with their guns until you get your own.

Offline Meatball

Any Ideas??
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 02:57:48 AM »
entsminger - I am also in the same boat as you for finances. I wish that I could afford a large mortar or a nice full sized cannon. I can really justify spending 10,000 on a toy when I need a new truck among other things. That is why I have been looking to start out small in the $300 -$500 price range. I know that really limits my options but like I said I want to start out small. Also because of my work schedule I have alot of free time so during the summer I make extra money working for a guy doing landscaping so that may increase my price range a bit.

Artilleryman I had never thought of that before thanks for the idea. Now that I have read what you posted it got me thinking. One of the guys I work with does WWII re enactments and has been wanting to get into CW re enactments. I'll have to talk to him and see if he's interested.

Kuntrykouple Thanks for your concern. If I do build one safety will be my number 1 concern. I am sure that I will be spending alot of time reading past posts and asking several questions. I assure you I will not be building one out of pipe. After everyting I have read here it will deffinately be machined from a solid piece of good steel.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. When my girlfriend looked over my shoulder and read some of the posts she realized that I was very serious about wanting one. These past two days she has really softened up and has pretty much told me that I can have one when the money permits. When the time comes for me to either buy one or build one I hope that you won't mind the numerous questions despite how dumb some may sound.

Offline Artilleryman

Any Ideas??
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 05:25:15 AM »
Looking forward to hearing how you are progressing.  Don't worry there is no such thing as a dumb question.  The dumb thing would be not asking a question when you need to.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Any Ideas??
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:22 AM »
The reality of building versus buying is that you are spending your time and skill making a cannon versus spending your time and skill at what you do to earn money and exchanging the money for someone else's time and skill at making cannons. 

This works out well when you have the skill to make one but not the excess money, you have the excess money and not the skill, or you make it for the pleasure of making it (I have less than $100 cash in my 1/5 scale 24 pounder

but at least 100 hours of time.) 

A couple of years ago, I taught a two week class on cannon making at Lassen College in northern California (a long way from New York) and most students were able to complete a half scale mountain howitzer barrel with some carriage pieces (wheels were the parts that most people didn't get to/finish) or a half scale Coehorn mortar including either a block mount or a sled mount.  It's not clear if the class will be given again or not.

I don't know what you do for a living but you might consider spending some of your personal time off working some extra overtime specifically towards buying a cannon.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannon_Lady

From a Wife's point of view
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »
My Husband and I have only been married for a month, but I knew about the cannon/mortar obession before that.  He has tried to make excuses for having them, it helps that we use them in civil war reenactments.  He always asks if i would like to fire them first and I have.  The more that he gets into them the more I want to participate.  I also have horses, it is never good to tell a woman that something of yours is better than something of hers.  My husband does an excellent job of trying to include me in the descion making.  He says that he has finally wore me down.  Maybe it will be the same with your girlfriend.  Good luck!
Husband builds mortars

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Any Ideas??
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2006, 11:11:44 AM »
Cannon_Lady -

WELCOME to the forum!  Thinking about it, it's definately getting to be a 'family' oriented forum.  It is indeed a pleasure to have your company and we'd love to see pictures of your 'toys' in action.

And congratulations to you and your husband as newlyweds!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
Re: From a Wife's point of view
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2006, 02:35:07 PM »
Quote from: Cannon_Lady
My husband does an excellent job of trying to include me in the descion making.

So do I. When I bought a pair of six pounders on eBay my wife got to decide whether she wanted a fight :-D

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Any Ideas??
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »
I have a fairly large walk-in gun safe I built in the basement. When I got another gun, it would just kinda blend in with the rest of them and I could claim I always had it, and that she just doesn't pay much attention to what I do.

So, now I order a mortar barrel from Hern Iron Works. I already figure that it won't just blend in, and, since she is home all day (like when the UPS guy comes), a 92# crate won't go unnoticed. Still, I figured I had a coupla weeks before it shows up to think of somethin.

Anyway, I start to realize that keepin 25# or so of black powder in the basement would be a bad thing so, during a warm weekend in January I start unloading concrete bags from my pickup and driving them out into the woods in my camo painted, jacked up golf-cart.

My wife thinks this is odd behaviour, even for me, so she sends my 4 year old son down back to investigate. An hour later he returns, covered with mud, and tells her that it is "top secret", and he won't tell her anything (good boy :-).

A coupla minutes later, there I am shoveling concrette into a 5x5 hole inthe ground out in the woods and she wanders up and asks "What are ya doin?"

I tell her I am building a storage shed for dangerous stuff cuz the kid is startin to get into things. Se says "Your building a dynamite shed, arn't you?". I say... "well, ya... I guess". She is happy, because she had one as a kid (it belonged to her grandpa) and now we will have one too.

So, a coupla days later, on Presidents day (I had the day off), she calls to me and tells me the UPS guy is standing in the driveway looking into the back of his truck and doesn't look happy. I go out, help him move it, and open the crate in the kitchen. By this time, she has been so confused about all the strange happenings (like building a dynamite shack in the middle of the winter), that a little 13 inch chunk of cast iron isn't all that big a deal, and it is possibly a better explaination for the strange behaviour than whatever she was thinkin was happening.

She was even nice enough to pick the barrel up from the machine shop that EDM'ed the fuse hole for me, so I guess she has gotten over it by now.

So, I guess make her think somethin much, much, much, much worse is about to happen, and then she will be relieved cuz all you are getting is a little tiny cannon.

The next one will  be only a little bigger. Maybe someday I'll have so many that a new one will just blend in.

BTW, she has a horse too (and I have 10 llamas), so a pattern of commonality may exist between you and me... i.e.   ... start pouring some concrete in the woods yourself, as winter is almost over. Offer no good explaination for it... maybe giggle alot for no apparent reason. (The real reason is that the UPS guy will be here any day now).

Good luck.