Author Topic: HELP MISFIRES!!  (Read 613 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
HELP MISFIRES!!
« on: February 08, 2006, 11:27:50 AM »
Hey all I have a sb2 ultra slugger 12 ga. and the 10 gauge turkey barrel with it. So far after mabe 35 or 40 shots I have had 2 different  shells not go off. It almost looks like the primer is not dented enough.  Should I file the hammer a tad  at the stop to make the fireing pin come out a little further?? Any help will be greayly appreciated. Thanks all and
                          GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 12:18:37 PM »
Need more info.  Are these 'Factory Fitted' barrels to this receiver?  Have you checked the 'Head Spacing' of the barrel?  How is the fit of the barrel at the barrel lug?  Doses it lock up tight without the forearm installed?

There are other questions, I am sure that others would ask.  These are just the first ones that came to my mind.  I wouldn't go filing anything until you are absolutely sure of what the problem is.  Just my $02.

I am far from the expert on this stuff.  Come guys, y'all chime in here!

Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Ocsamschainsaw

• http://www.myspace.com/tsm002
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
Are the shells from the same lot?
Do other shells detonate?
WECSOG Madness-Hide Your Dremels!

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:33:14 AM »
Hey all, the 12 ultra slugger was bought at dicks and the turkey barrel was fitted at nef. As for head spaceing I dont know how to check, but lock up is tight with no noticeable wobble. The shells were 12 gauge remmington core loc and 10 gauge winchester turkey load, one of each did not fire. I thought by taking a little off the hammer where it meets the reciever would make the fire pin protrude a little more and fire the shells? Ill check back for any answers in a little while. Thanks all and
                 GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
Before you file on anything, make sure your firing pin has room to protrude more. Could be a problem with your transfer bar, seems that there has been a rash of bad ones lately. I would look close at the transfer bar before doing anything to the hammer. Just my $.02.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »
Hey Busta, thanks for the reply. I put a temporary .005 piece of shim stock between the hammer and the transfer bar and the fire pin seems to protrude more  [ about .005]. That leads me to believe that removing a little from the hammer stop will let the hammer move closer to the transfer bar and do the same thing. Please correct me if I am wrong. I wont do any fileing till I am sure its ok. Thanks!!
                  GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:40:53 PM »
Before I would do any filing anywhere I would take the gun apart and give it a very good cleaning.  If its a new gun there could be filings from the mill work that is gumimng up the works.   Take the forearm and barrel off and then take the stock off and get a good type of brake cleaner and spray the heck out of the reciever.  Then take a old tooth brush(one that you don't want to use anymore)  and scub the hech out of all the ares you can get too.  I have had a few of this gun that misfired because of junk down in the reciever that was jammimg things up.  If that is your case and you file off some of the hammer stop you could end up breaking your transfer bar or the firing pin.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »
Thanks Dave Ill give it a try.

Offline sman

• Trade Count: (1)
misfire ultra 12
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:02:04 PM »
I had the same problem with my ultra slug hunter 12 ga.  I had many remingtons not fire.  All other brands were fine.  I did file the face of my hammer, and now have no problem shooting any brand.

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
HELP MISFIRES!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 07:20:37 AM »
Thanks sman, After looking very carefully I am certain thats what needs done. Thanks and GOOD HUNTIN

Filed a little on the hammer face and it shot both shells that  it would not before.!! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: LOOK OUT DEER AND TURKEY!! Thanks all and GOOD HUNTIN!!