Author Topic: Has anyone tried . . .  (Read 409 times)

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Has anyone tried . . .
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:08:56 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried applying an anti-fog compund to scope lense surfaces.  I believe that Rain-X makes an anti-fog liquid similar to their normal Rain-X product.  Anyone ever try this on a scope?

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Has anyone tried . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:23:53 AM »
I have never tried it, but I have heard other people try it, but I don't know the outcome.  To me, I think that it would lower your quality of your lenses, by adding a film to the lenses reducing the quality and the light transmission.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Has anyone tried . . .
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 05:39:33 AM »
How timely.  I did just that last night.  First time I have ever actually had the guts to do it.  I used a product called "Scope Dope."

First, I brushed off all surface dust with a scope pen.  I then used the cleaning pad of the scope pen and cleaned the glass.  After that, I took a new chamois cloth, dabbed a VERY small amount of the scope dope on the cloth and rubbed it onto the eye glass and objective.  Then buffed it out with the chamois.  

I haven't taken the rifle hunting yet.  Tomorrow morning will be my first chance.  We've got fresh snow, and a near full moon - watch out yotes.  

So far, it does not seem to have diminished the quality.  I must admit though, I had (and kinda still do) the same concers that optic zone stated.  

The scope is a 1.5X5 Weaver Grand Slam.  I will post my findings after tomorrow's hunt.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt