Author Topic: 30-30 Lever Action scope  (Read 736 times)

Offline Neutron

• Trade Count: (0)
30-30 Lever Action scope
« on: February 09, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »
Looking for a scope for a marlin 336.  Not wanting to spend a lot on one so keeping it under $150.  Priority is holding zero.  Next would be nice glass/bright/clarity.  Eye relief  is probably a big concern.  I am sightly tempted to try the bushnell red dot that you can change recticles and color to red or green but I know that even if it would be fun it probably would not be real accurate.  Thinking about the Nikon prostaff 4x or the 7x32, Bushnell banner, Thompson Center, or maybe a Weaver.  How big a deal is the parallax being set a 50 yds for some of the lower power variables?  The Nikon 4x is called a rimfire but the writeup on Optics.com indicates it is ok for centerfire, will it hold up on a 30-30?  While this 30-30 is not anywhere near the most accurate rifle I own, for some reason when I take it in the field stuff happens.  I had a legend on it but swapped it to another rifle.  I picked up some of that leverlution (however you spell it) hornady ammo which theoretically could make it a 250 yard gun if it is accurate in it.

Offline Harold50

30-30 Lever Action scope
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »
A good friend has purchased the lower powered variable from T/C. Not a bad scope and the guarantee can't be beat - its a Thompson Center Lifetime guarantee.

Best Wishes,
Harold
Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
30-30 Lever Action scope
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:37:11 AM »
When I was a kid my dad caught all kinds of greif over putting a Leupold 3x9-40 on my mom's marlin 30-30. Everybody shut up when she took a 11 pt buck right before dark with it at well over 150 yds. This back before the "magic 250 yd load". You're not in that price range but I think you'd be well served by a Burris 3x9x40. I beleive that the fullfield II is somewhere in that price range and it's a centerfire scope, so you're assured of it holding up. The 3x would be fine for close in stuff and for the reach out and touch em stuff you've got plenty of power. I just looked em up on theopticzone.com. It's $189.00 and you get a discount(10% I beleive) from them for being a Graybeard memeber. It really depends on what type of hunting you do. If you're likely to shoot out past 100-150yds the variable might be a good fit.

Just a suggestion.
-Davoh

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
30-30 Lever Action scope
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »
The best scope for that rifle is the 2x7x32 Multishot from Mueller.  I 've been using mine for almost a year and it is the best scope I own.  I own many others that cost three times as much (Nikons, Leupold, and Bushnell).  It can be had for less than what you listed about $130, unless the prices have gone up. :D

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
30-30 Lever Action scope
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 03:15:57 PM »
I don't own a lever gun like you're talking about, so my opinion is just that.  Depends alot on the terrain that you hunt, or forsee hunting in the future.  Close shots under 100 yards don't require much magnification.  Anything under 300 yards and 7 or 9 power is plenty.

If my shots averaged under 100 yards I'd be awful tempted to put a low power variable, say a 1.5-4X.  It would keep the gun light and handy.  Longer shots and I'd pick a 2-7X.  If you're set on a red dot I'd recomend either the UltraDot or Aimpoint - proven tough red dots.  On a rifle you'll want a smaller dot, 4 MOA or less.

What's your max price?

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
30-30 Lever Action scope
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »
If I was scoping that rig I would go with a fixed power unit.  Something along the lines of a 6x.  Maybe a 4x if most of my shots were inside of 100.  Years ago a 6x was lots of power and tons of game was taken at longer ranges with 6x or less.  Don't get wrapped up in all the vari-power hoopla.  You just don't need it on that rig.  Look for a scope with a generous eye box and eye relief and you'll be on the right track.  Another nice thing about the fixed power scope is that you can get a much nicer piece of glass for the money.  The following come to mind.

Burris Fullfield II 6x40
Sightron S2 6x42
Nikon Monarch 6x42

These run between $150 and $225 typically.

For even less money you can look at Weaver K6 6x38 (~$130).

WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/