Author Topic: Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500  (Read 2198 times)

Offline PeterF.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« on: February 11, 2006, 04:40:20 PM »
Seems like most LEO's use the 870, while the military uses the Mossberg (OK, it's the 590). Folks here got an opinion as to why one is better than the other? ... and whether something else in the "combat shotgun" class is better?  Personally, I've got a 500, but that's mostly 'cause I got it fairly cheap; and I've always thought the Benelli Super 90 looked pretty good, although I'd be nervous about the "combat" reliability of a semi-auto.  Experience, opinions?

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 06:04:54 AM »
I'd be nervous about the "combat" reliability of a semi-auto.

Wonder why??is our military gone from autos to trap doors again?I believe if you did your P.M. on it and kept her clean she would serve you well.
as for the mossberg being a military shotgun being issued.You must remember that today the lowest bidder makes your gear.
I don't ever recall the military useing the 870s,but I could be wrong.all I have ever seen was ithcas,winchesters and mossberg.the do have some full auto shotguns that the sf and sog use.But they are not normal looking shotguns.and as for which shotgun is better?870 or 500 or 590..I really like the 870s,they serve me well and a couple are the 1st made,never had to replace parts on them cept fer a stock are a forearm,our club (Trap)had several club guns in 870.they were shot a lot.very rarely cleaned cept ta wipe the outside down.they just kept on shootin.just hold the barrel up push the slide relase and the forearm would fall down, now that is a used pump gun..one of my 870s that I used for years huntin in the jungles never let me down.rain all over it mud and crud all over it,swimin cross rivers with it ,god only knows what fell in the barrel while trudgen thru the jungles and balstin a deer are pig with her.and besides that,I think they look more pleasin then some of the other pump guns,cept for the win M-12s,but they were complex and to me required a little more P.M. then the 870s..
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline K.K.

• Avid Poster
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:49:04 AM »
I've always liked the 870. It has dual action bars as oppose to the 500 having one, they seem to be a bit smoother.  However, The Mossberg has a tang safety that is easier to manipulate quickly or with gloves.  It seems that the 870 has been more popular with police, and is definitely a rugged firearm.  I think that the 870 is the most popular firearm of any kind.  I haven't heard of one being worn out yet.

Offline Savage

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 05:24:53 AM »
I'd be nervous about the "combat" reliability of a semi-auto.

HUH!! With the exception of some Sniper models, and a few old shotguns, ALL of the military smallarms are either select fire or semiauto.
My tatical (hate that term) shotgun is an 870. If I had a Mossy or Winchester I would feel just as well armed. I have a 1100 that I am building to take the place of the 870, it just works better for me than a pump. Put me down as favoring an autoloader over a pump.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cma g21

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:46:13 AM »
Quote from: K.K.
I've always liked the 870. It has dual action bars as oppose to the 500 having one, they seem to be a bit smoother.  However, The Mossberg has a tang safety that is easier to manipulate quickly or with gloves.  It seems that the 870 has been more popular with police, and is definitely a rugged firearm.  I think that the 870 is the most popular firearm of any kind.  I haven't heard of one being worn out yet.

It's been many years since the Mossberg 500s came with a single slide action bar. Even the cheaper Mavericks now come with twin slide action bars.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 06:08:36 AM »
i wouldn't trust my life to a cheap shotgun or an auto... if i were forced to pick an auto I would only consider a benelli/baretta (I own 2)...

Offline Savage

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »
FWIW
The Benelli M1 is the only auto shotgun we've tried that does not cycle reduced recoil buckshot.
Savage

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 10:01:58 AM »
I don't know what you've tried, and I have never shot a load of "reduced recoil buckshot" in my entire life.  That being said, I have both an SBE and an SBEII and they both function flawlessly even when switching between 3 1/2" magnum turkey loads and light 2 3/4" target loads...

I said I wouldn't trust and auto, and I don't really understand why anyone would when pumps are cheaper.  I was just saying that if i didn't know how to shoot a pump and thus needed a gun that could load itself, I'd take a benelli.

Offline Savage

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »
dukkillr,
Most major manufacturers make a good reliable autoloader, Benelli included. The manual of arms for a slide action is not difficult to learn, it is well within the capabilities of most people. The most common operator induced malfunction with this action type is the "Short Stroke". It usually happens when attempting to operate the action quickly, and the slide is not brought completely to the rear before reversing the slide direction. In spite of this, the slide action is hands down the most popular model for a defensive shotgun. As you mentioned, price is most likely the primary factor. Point is, either pump or auto will do the job, just a matter of preference. I have both, but prefer the auto, in my case, my 1100 because it has proven it's self to be reliable.
Savage

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »
I understand short shucking... believe me

I also understand 1100s and other autos... i've hunted with and guided hunters that used every gun you could think of... i wouldn't trust my life to an old auto or a cheap pump... can't think of a reason to do so... i guess everyone can decide for themselves though...

Offline Ocsamschainsaw

• http://www.myspace.com/tsm002
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 12:49:09 PM »
I always preferred the mossberg, but then again, I'm a southpaw.
The mossberg's safety is amazingly easy to use, and the pump release is far better positioned than the 870's in my opinion.
Were I going pump, I'd go with a Mossberg based on cost and ergonomics for us leftys alone, but that may not be an issue for you.
WECSOG Madness-Hide Your Dremels!

Offline Plinkomatic

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »
A big consideration is the stock style with respect to safety position.
If you like pistol grip, go Rem, if you like standard/non-pistol grip stock, I prefer the Mossberg safety.
Shoulder both and see which fits.

Offline Plink

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:47 PM »
I've got one of each and have had both since the 70's. Neither has given any problems of any kind as far as reliability is concerned. That said, since the prices are so close, I'd choose the 870 hands down. It's smoother, and isn't as prone to short stroking as the Mossberg.

I've occasionally short stroked the Mossberg when I was rushing a shot. That's my fault and not the gun's, and it can be tuned out of either gun, so I guess that's not much of a criteria. Both guns have gotten pretty heavy use over the decades and I'd just feel more secure with the 870. Considering how close the prices are, I would buy another 870 but would not buy another Mossberg. Just my 0.02 cents.
Mike

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of SMART!

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »
put me down for the 870 i love mine...i shot my brother in laws moss. 500 but i didnt really care for it.

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 03:07:03 PM »
i like the internal mass of  the mossberg.  the remingtons have small parts compared to the mossberg.    that being said,  i have never heard of anyone's 870 dieing on them

personal preference,  in the end

Offline S.S.

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
I have had several jams with pump shotguns too!
An autoloader is in my experience is no less reliable than a pump.
I have a High Standard model 10 (yes the nice little bullpup design)
and I have never once had it jam when properly loaded. By properly
loaded I mean 2 3/4 inch High brass or Magnum loads. It says use those loads only stamped right on the side of it. Try anything else and it turns
into a very difficult to operate straight pull bolt action!
The 870 and the 500 are both good weapons for the average person who does not have 700 to 1000 bucks to throw into a home defense weapon.
I know a lot of folks who have them and are very pleased with them.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »
I have owned both and prefere the 870. :wink:

Offline PaulS

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:01:27 PM »
I don't know what the police in my area are using today but when I bought my Mossberg they were using S&W shotguns. I never heard of one failing but they always sounded like the parts were tumbling in a bucket.
I like my Mossberg - it holds 7 - 2 3/4" rounds in the magazine Has both hunting and "defense" barrels and has only given me one problem in all the years of shooting it. The safety button broke - it was a cheap plastic part. I replaced it with a metal piece that I made in an afternoon. I am sure that they could make a better part but it doesn't matter to me - anymore.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline dchi

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »
Whith out a doubt go with the 870. I've worked the range/ armory for the Louiville PD and spent time with Louisville Sherrifs Dept armory/range. With over 600 rem 870's and 350 moss 590/500's between the 2 departments the Mossbergs fail 3-4 times more often.  We had to repair or retire about 9 870's. The mossberg's about 15. The mossbergs were sold off to officer's and the rest traded in for ar15's. I know all you guys with mossbergs never had a problem and probably never will. But these guns were treated rougher than your own gun since they the didn't belong to the people who used them. They got real field use and abuse. I even saw a brand new mossberg break in half at the mag tube and barrel were it went into the reciever when it was used to smash a side car window, NO BULL. Im sure it would have not been good on a 870 but I doubt that it would have broken clean in two.

Offline Old Griz

Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 08:18:04 PM »
:cb2: I got a whole case of 12 ga. shells from my boss because they wouldn't cycle in his Benelli auto. My 870 will shoot anything.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 05:57:05 AM »
No doubt about it, 870 all the way.

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 05:16:35 PM »
I work part-time at a gun store and have seen just about everything for wear on a shotgun. Mossbergs seem to have a problem with the trigger group wearing out and that makes the action unreliable. (Plastic trigger groups) I have never seen a 870 that wouldn't cycle and fire a round. 1100 and 11-87 get so dirty they seem to have issues. (usually because someone dumped a half bottle of oil on the magazine tube thus helping with powder buildup and not ejecting light loads. benellis though don't get dirty and always seem to work but you pay extra for that. Give me an 870 WINGMASTER anyday. keep the express for the inexperienced. you can pick up a slightly used Illinois state police issued 2 3/4 in. chambered wingmaster at alot of gun stores for about 200 dollars. 18in. barrel with Improved cylinder and a plain stock. (do you really need any more power than a 2 3/4 shell delivers?) Build it up from there into a nice looking gun or keep it as a work horse. I've seen a couple of problems with winchester semi but have found no problems with the pumps. I would trust an old beat up dirty wingmaster over a mossberg anyday. Personnel opinion is mossberg are for beginers and shade tree hunters/shooters.

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
Re: Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 11:09:47 PM »
anybody ever try one of those saiga shotguns....you know the one that looks like an ugly ak47....

country reb
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline alien319

• Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 04:35:48 AM »
Actually in the Marine Corps we don't have too many Mossbergs, mostly Bennelli M4's.  However I have a Mossberg 500 and I have had no problems using any type of ammo from birdshot to buckshot to slugs all from the 2 3/4 to 3 inch range.  No Problems and accuracy is good.  Either one will do fine!
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
I bought a 500 years ago because it was cheap and had a tang safety.  That's the only shotgun I own that has had multiple cycling errors in the field over the years.  Not to mention the racked made by the poorly designed, rattling forearm.

I have an 870 I inherited and it is quiet and has never missed a chambering.

Offline jimster

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »
I had both the 870 and the 590, and I could not really see where one was better than the other.
The 590 did have dual action bars (like the 870) and dual extractorrs to boot.
As far as dependability and what they were for, I couldn't tell the diff.
The 590 caught my eye more, with the heat shield on it, but that was just cosmetics. I liked the bayonet lug too, that was neat but nothing I could use of course. The 870 had a slug barrel on it and it was real accurate.
If I had to choose one or the other for just defense, I'd probably go with the 590 because I like the dual extractors.