Author Topic: single shot deer guns  (Read 1675 times)

Offline lil_hunter12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
single shot deer guns
« on: February 13, 2006, 09:13:45 AM »
im thinking of getting a new deer rifles and havent decided whether to get a single shot 30-06 or a slug barrel for my shotgun the shots i will be taking with it would be at the longest 75 or 100 yards wat do u guys recommened thanks in advance for any replies

Offline Old Griz

single shot deer guns
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »
:cb2: The new barrel would be the cheapest, however, it's not quite as much fun as getting a new gun!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
single shot deer guns
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 01:24:51 AM »
Either one will work, but if I had a option of a rifle barrel or a shotgun barrel, I would go with the rifle barrel.  I do how ever have a shotgun that I have taken deer past 100 yards using a rifled slug barrel.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
single shot deer guns
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 02:45:48 AM »
Depending on how you define "single shot", I would recommend the rifle, with bolt action, scope, and multi-round magazine.  In general, it only takes a "single shot" in the right place but having those extra rounds makes a follow-up easier should that need arise - and it does arise.

A rifle is inherently more accurate than a shotgun.  A rifle is aimed a shotgun pointed.  You will probably keep either your whole life and certainly will eventually get the other to round out your shooting experience.  The rifle, for deer will be the more flexible.  You may not always find your range is restricted to 75-100 yards.  When hunting somewhere that requires a greater distance, the rifle will be your best asset.

Land Owner
If it was easy, anybody could do it!

Offline Savage .250

single shot deer guns
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 03:45:27 AM »
Single shot ??     Pick up a muzzle loader. The new ones are really some
    thing.  Shot straight, no recoil to speak of, fun to shoot, will harvest what ever your after ( some exceptions of course) plus will "challenge"
   your skills.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
single shot deer guns
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:24:49 PM »
Either one BUT a Ruger#1 would be nice :D

Offline Old Griz

single shot deer guns
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 06:24:31 PM »
:cb2: Ain't that the truth!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
single shot deer guns
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »
Ruger #1B or V.  And if it is for deer, go .25.  25-06 would be my choice! (I have one and have zero (0) complaints.)  I also have a Ruger M77 in 30-06 that performs well, and is "my" rifle when both the wife and I go hunting for deer together.  When I go by myself, I take the 25-06.

8)

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
single shot deer guns
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 02:23:41 PM »
How about an TC Encore. If I was comfortable with a single shot I would consider the ability to have different calibers by changing barrels pretty cool.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline horseman308

• Avid Poster
single shot deer guns
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »
another vote for the rugher #1. I've got one in .308 Win. I've never been in a position where I had to make a follow-up shot so quickly that the bolt action rifle was any more practical than my single-shot. Especially at 100 yards or so, the report of the shot (let alone being hit) will be enough to scare any deer off far enough that you'll have time to reload before a second shot presents itself.  A single shot is much quieter to operate (at least to me) than any bolt action I've used, for those times when that's important. Just my $.02.
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline dcewolf

single shot deer guns
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »
NEF HandiRifle in .243, I've had nothing but luck with mine :) Not to mention easy on the wallet.

Offline Snowshoe

• Contributor
    • http://www.playfarmers.com
single shot deer guns
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:52:37 PM »
I have hunted with a single shot rifle on and off for several years. I always filled my tag, but needed a second shot one time. I have hunted with a Winchester 94, or a 8x57 Mauser ever since. I still hunt with my muzzleloader, but pass up any shot I am not sure of.
Snowshoe

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
single shot deer guns
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 05:26:04 PM »
I hunt with Handi  rifles, 243, 7-08, 270, 45-70 and 308. Also an Encore 7-08. Never needed a 2nd shot so far, but can reload a Handi very quckly..........

Offline j.trevor123

• Avid Poster
single shot deer guns
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »
Just curious as to why you want a single shot, instead of a Bolt action?? I mean if you get a well named brand, remington, browning, winchester, they are the same price basically. Of course depending on what you get, some single shots more that bolt actions, some bolt actions more than single shots. But bolt actions are nice and more diverse, you may not think you ever need a quick second shot in close shooting conditions, but when you do you will wish you had it. PLus bolt actions shoot just as good as single shots......... Anyways if i had to choose between shotgun barrel or single shot I would pick single shot, i love accuracy.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
single shot deer guns
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 07:50:34 AM »
For a single shot, I use a Encore in 7-08. :D
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
single shot deer guns
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 03:48:39 PM »
funds r limited so i cant go expensive. the single shot was a braztech    30-06 with a scope or i have the option of gettin a slug barrel for my maverick whick would be 6 slugs from a 12 gauge. thanks for ur suggestions i think ill get the slug barrel

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: single shot deer guns
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 05:43:18 AM »
While I like and will probably us my Handi Rifle .308 again this year if I had it all to do over again I probably would have gone for a .308 Stevens 200.  The price difference at wally world is only a few trips to big Mac land more.  Not that it would shoot any better than my Handi but I would have that 2nd shot available just in case there are two deer and the second one decides to charge. :D
RJ

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »
im gonna get a slug barrel for my 12 gauge maverick it'll hold 6 shots

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 06:25:49 AM »
Well if I want to hunt Deer with a single shot I simply take out a Martini in .303 British this is Iron sights only in England anyway in Scotland I can Hunt roe Deer with a Baikel MH18 in .222 Rem  which is scoped providing I use a 50 grain bullet to comply wiht the law. Some of us like the thrill of using something a little different.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 02:59:17 AM »
i have rescently accuired a great deer rifle its a 760 remington in .308 it shoots great with 150 grain bullets.but will the 150 grain bullets take elk at 75 to 100 yards? thanks for ur help

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 09:10:22 AM »

In general, it only takes a "single shot" in the right place but having those extra rounds makes a follow-up easier should that need arise - and it does arise.

There is always this misconception that with a single shot you can't or it is too slow make followup shots. Not True.I spent my youth chasing rabbits and eliminating gophers with single shots. While not as fast as a repeater single shots can be reloaded amaizingly fast if you practice and are prepared to do so. My best is 4 skunks in about 30 seconds with a single shot 22, though I'm not sure I would still have the dexterity to do it now.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 04:13:43 AM »
i still hunt with my single shot .22's and shotguns from time to time and im extremely fast with reloads

Offline Francis

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
I recently picked up a 12 GA Ultra slug gun from NEF. I put a scope on it and using a 1.25 oz. sabot slug, I can keep consistant 1" groups at 100 yards. Rifled slug guns won't travel 5 miles, but have the knock down of a bulldozer on steroids. Low cost weapon, high priced ammo. Most states allow slug guns, but not all allow rifles. Food for thought.