Author Topic: Why Browning is the best.  (Read 31498 times)

Offline wis_sharpshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Why Browning is the best.
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:12:15 PM »
The browning web site has put together a veido of why the BOSS is as good as it gets you might want to check it out. http://www.browning.com/video/index.asp
Hail Marry Full of Grace Drop This Animal on its Face

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
Re: Why Browning is the best.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »
BEST ? If so than why don't snipers use that system or rifle ,or any Browning for that matter?

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »
I have two boss equiped rifles now and it does work.  IT takes a little fussing around but it does a great job of tuning a barrel to the load.  I have seen groups shrink by more than 50 percent after adjustment.  Both of these rifles shoot under moa consistnantly.  With an untuned winchester m70 in 300 WM I was getting groups from 1.5-2", after setting it to the sweet spot that I got from winchester groups shrank down to .75-1".  I"m sure with some tunning it will shrink even more.   I like the boss CR the unported version.  They really do work when correctly.

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:08 PM »
I have a boss on a 300 win mag, and I have burned about 100 rounds looking for that sweet spot. The video makes it look so easy but that hasnt been my expeirience. I left it in my gun cabinet last year and took my 270 because i had no confidence in it. I hope to get it worked out this summer so I can try it this elk season.

Offline wis_sharpshooter

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:26:04 PM »
If you go on the browning website it has a page on there for the sweet spots forthe cailber and the different type bullets.

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »
Unfortuantely that didnt work with mine. I called Browning and that was bar none the worst expeirience I have ever had with any company The "techs" I mean jackass that answers the phone was the most unfriendly unhelpfull person I have ever dealt with. If it comes down to dealing with Browning I will never own another. I felt like I was talking to a lawyer and all he would do was say "We cannot comment on that" and "we do not support handloading" I have since gotten rid of most of my Brownings. I still have a 22 rimfire that I dearly love. I had a Savage once that had a couple of out of the box issues but after the great way Savage took care of me I went away feeling better about Savage than I did before the problems. Browning has never done anything to make me feel good about them or their guns. a couple shoot Ok but I only keep them for when I take kids or friends hunting and I dont want them to screwup my good guns. Had Browning done anything to help me I would have been a real fan I really like the way the lokk and feel. End of frustrated rant.

Offline wis_sharpshooter

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 02:04:53 PM »
That does sound like some pretty crapy costumer service. I only had to deal with them once and it was ordering a CR adapter for my BOSS and I thought they were pretty good.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:58:07 AM »
 My experience with browning has been excellent. I bought one of the first blr lwt's to come out some years ago and I couldn;t hit the side of a barn. I took it to Browning in Arnold ,Mo told the counter guy the problem. Then went for some coffe . Before I finished a browning management guy said the bore was oversized and to come with him. I did and there were 6 new rifles on a table, he said pickt the one you want. I couldn't believe it !

At other times I've gone in with some little problem or another and they have repaired them on the spot, no charge.
    However you are correct about the handloads, they say it voids their warrenty. So some times you have to be a little creative if the subject comes up.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:33:03 AM »
I have a M70 Classic Stainless with the BOSS.   Yes, a WINCHESTER with the BOSS.  It's in .300 Win Mag.  It took me only about a box of ammo to find the sweet spot.  I forgot what number it is, but it shoots PMC 180 grain Barnes X bullets within about 1/2 an inch at 100 yards!  That's pretty darn good!

Zachary

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 04:21:03 PM »
Speaking of no handloads, Browning sold the BPCR in 45/90 and 40/65. No ammo is available for either through normal retail sources.

Offline old06

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »
I also have a M 70 with the BOSS in 270 win and since day one it has proven to be one of the  most accurate gun  I have. It groups  from 3/8 to 9/16 of a inch day in and day out  yes I’ve heard that some having a difficult time. But my rifle has been shooting this way since 1996 same load I would recommend it to any one looking for a accurate rifle. I may buy another one day.
 ;D
Psalm 16

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 06:21:25 AM »
I have never heard of a custom rifle being built on a Browning action. No 1000 yd. comptetior uses them, nor do any sniper teams that I am aware of. They are hunting rifles, some of which shoot good, and quite a few that don't. If yours does great.

Offline 264 WIN MAG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 06:38:51 PM »
I have a rifle with the B.O.S.S. and I won't make that mistake again.

Mine is in the 264 Win Mag caliber and they only list an adjustment for the 140gr. stock loads. Tried to find the sweet spot for 120gr. bullets, burned two boxes of shells at $40/box, shot a 3" group, and gave up...

If it means shooting a 1" group at 100 yards, just give me a plain jane barrel without a B.O.S.S. and I'll just live with it.

Offline akr

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »
That customer service thing is just like anything else.  It just depends on whether a jerk answers the phone or not.  I figure that you have a 50% chance of getting a jerk....just like 50% of people are jerks.

Offline 264 WIN MAG

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 02:36:54 AM »
I was having some problems getting ammo for the 264 Mag. Just bought a Browning A-Bolt 270WSM. Happy to say that straight out of the box shooting Federal Premium Ammo it’s putting up .5” groups at 100 yards. Good enough for me…

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 04:00:52 PM »
I went to a gun shop last weekend because they were going to have factory represenatives there to answer your questions.

When I got to the table where the Browning Represenatives were at - they were both talking on their cells phones and were too busy to answer my questions.

Grice Gun Shops big Cabin Fever sale.

One other experience that I had with them was when the forearm cracked on my Browning Pump Rifle.  I paid $20 to put it in a box and send it back to Browning and when it came back it had a hand matched stock and forearm.  Proably the nicest ones that they had in stock.

First thing that my brother did was lean it against a tree and step on a branch that was under the gun and he knocked it over and his Gamemaster put a big ding in the forearm - the very first day I took it hunting after they replaced the stock and forearm.

Offline tjkanavel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 07:38:40 AM »
I have had nothing but good dealings with Browning for awhile now.I have a 338 with the BOSS that is scary accurate,a new 325WSM and a 280.The 338 is the second one I have owned,I sold the first and regreted it everyday until I found another one to buy.As stated earleir,the BOSS is tricky.Luckily it did not take much to set up either 338's and had .25"-.40" groups in no time (one was used,the other was new in the box).

Offline banjoman

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 02:43:29 PM »
I have 2 rifles with the BOSS and both are tack drivers. Yes it does take a little time to fine tune it but no more than trying to find which load your gun will shoot best with. I like it because if you want to shoot a certain bullet at a specific velocity you can and then adjust the barrel to get the accuracy you want.
Hunt with your Kids not For Them

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
I wasted money on a BOSS. My first 30-06 handloads shot a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards, 6 inches low. I adjusted the scope and my second group was 1"  and dead on the bullseye. I have never touched the BOSS or even tried another load. Why should I?
I know it sounds like a load of bovine feces but it really is so.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 04:59:06 AM »
I've had no problems with Browning service. I live about an hour from their service center and have taken many rifles to them for small stuff. They fix it on the spot,no charge, and I'm on my way. Last time I had a little trouble with an A bolt .243 feeding, they did the repair, and GAVE me two new clips.  Once, when the new lightings came out I had one that wouldn't shoot at all, turned out the bbls bore was a little oversized. a manager came out took me into the storage area and told me to pick out a new one, no charge.  But, I agree they are picky about using reloads, some times I have to streach the truth a little on that question.

Offline cajun

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:47 AM »
I own a Browning A Bolt Synthetic which I have had for many years.   It's a 30-06.  It kicks like a mule.  I had a muzzle brake installed on it locally and I could never get it to shoot after that.  Took it back to the guy who put the brake and he said it was operator error.  Took it to another gunsmith and he said it was operator error.  Had someone else shoot the gun; same results.  I sent the rifle in to Browning.  Got it back a couple weeks later.  They had removed the brake and said they had immediately noticed that the brake was defective.  They sent me the targets they shot without the brake shot with several different bullets.  They said the gun was fine to use without the brake...............all at no charge!  Unfortunately, I don't use the rifle much anymore due to the recoil and the fact that it has a threaded spot on the end of the barrel.  Getting too old for too much recoil..........LOL!

Offline snakeskinner

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 02:08:09 PM »
60 degree bolt, tang mounted safety, box mag and hinged mag floorplate. Everything I could ask for in a deer rifle.
Get right with the Man.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 07:21:48 AM »
Since my last reply I had a BAD experience with Browning ! I took in a Blr81 .308 with steel reciever and they said they no longer had parts for the rifle and had sold them. Refered me to a place. It cost me a bundle to get a small problem repaired. So I had more money in it than I should. I still could't get it to shoot or function properly. I sold it for almost nothing. ( 100.00, I told the guy about its problem) I do have some other 81's but they never gave me any trouble
     I agree with the guy who has the A-bolt. I have one in .243 that will drive nails at 100 yds.

Offline mike30-06

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 06:00:24 AM »
Let me tell you about my Browning experience. I had 3 Bar's one Belgium made one in .270, one in 30-06 and BAR Safari II in 30-06. Now to the real deal: Bar Safari had iron sites on it, had sporting goods store take them off first thing before they mounted scope. They did not have one without iron sights. Well after hunting with rifle that deer season. While cleaning rifle really good at the end of season I notice the barrel had a .002 bulge in the barrel where the taper meets the iron site on the muzzle end of rifle. Brought it back to sporting goods store so they could look at it. They said to leave it and the Browning rep was going to be in store the next week with a big sale and factory reps available to talk and answer questions. Went back next week and meet with rep in person. HE SAID THEY WOULD REPLACE THE BARREL. The sporting goods store took of my scope and shipped rifle back to Browning for me. Browning called them back in about week and a half and said that the gun needed a new barrel on it. They wanted $490.00 for a used barrel and that I would have to pay for it. I did not pay but $599.00 for a new rifle complete. Needless to say I did not repair rifle. I sold all three as a package deal to gun collector that wanted the two Belgium mades. I told him about the Safari and he said he did not care. I WILL NEVER OWN OR RECOMMEND A BROWNING RIFLE AGAIN. 

B R O W N I N G   R I F L E ' S  S U C K S !
Mike 30-06

B R O W N I N G   R I F L E 'S    S U C K !!!!

Offline wis_sharpshooter

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »
One bad deal doesn't mean that Browning's suck, I could find 100 stories why brownings are better, Sucks that you got a raw deal but don't bash the whole company because of it.

Offline roscoe

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »
They're the best!Just because"Owned a few and always will.Because I can;and they've never let me down.Tackdrivers and dependable.Enuff said! ;)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
I bought a NEW Browning leveraction in 308 caliber. After about 18 rounds the insides fell apart (got loose and would not shoot). Took it back to the store, and they replaced it with a new one just like the junk one. The hammer came loose inside on this one after about 25 rounds. Took it back, and the store owner said that it wasn't the first time he had problems with "Browning Junk". He quit carrying Browning entirely and gave me my money back.
I don't by Browning any more. Not even a Browning ball cap.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mike30-06

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »
One bad deal doesn't mean that Browning's suck, I could find 100 stories why brownings are better, stinks that you got a raw deal but don't bash the whole company because of it.

Browning Rep tells you he is going to put a new barrel on it and you send it in. The Browning customer service ( I used that term loosely) says $499.00 for a used barrel and that I must pay for it.

B R O W N I N G   R I F L E 'S    S U C K   !!!!!!   Enough Said >:( >:( >:(
Mike 30-06

B R O W N I N G   R I F L E 'S    S U C K !!!!

Offline WesinND

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
I guess it's hit or miss...A few years ago I bought an A-Bolt 30-06 with the BOSS, and the BOSS-CR came with it.  I got a good deal on a trade.  I use the BOSS-CR, the one without the ports, and dialed it in to less than an inch at 100 yds.  It's light, accurate and it's put 5 deer in the freezer so far.  That's all I can ask of a hunting rifle.  I just wish it were made in the USA...

Wes

Offline Waldo Pepper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »
My A-bolt 222 will shoot to same hole at 50 yards, I am still warming up to the synthetic camo stock, but love the magazine, and adjustable trigger with a Pachmayr recoil pad. It was one a very few 222 made for this last shot show and when I called Browning (God I hate the computer asking who or what you want take forever to get to a human) anyway after talking with a rep he said they were getting ready to order magazines for rifles and if I wanted one they would put a special order in for one for me. He said it did not list any 222 being ordered, so I give the old CC info and and sucked it up for about $70 with S&H best I remember and he said not to expect delivery till about October or maybe early November. He was really amazed I had a got this gun in 222 caliber as they had not offered 222 in quite a few years. He asked if I had time for him to check to see how many had been made, but I had to pass because I was on my cell phone and had already burned about 30 or 40 minutes.

The A-bolt made such an impression on me that I am buying a T-bolt Sporter Tuesday ($547 NIB) and looking forward to shooting that sweet little rifle. The Varmint model was $60 and only difference is a heavy barrel and Monte Carlo stock with a wide forearm that I liked better, but I didn't want the extra weight of heavy barreled rifle for walking the woods tree rat hunting.  ;D
"How is it you do not understand me when I speak? It is because you cannot bear to listen to my words."