Author Topic: Convince Me!  (Read 571 times)

Offline Flatshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Convince Me!
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:26:56 AM »
OK heres the scoop. I gave up my trusty 870 slug gun to a family member back in January in hopes of buying a new slug gun. After much research and debate I have fallen in love with the 20 ga. ultra slug hunter. I usually have shots on deer out to 175 yards in fields and within 100 yards in overgrown woods. I have MS and the recoil of the 12 ga. 870 was not making it enjoyable to bench shoot anymore. I have come to grips that its time to step back to a 20 ga for deer hunting and shooting off the bench. I am pretty fussy about making sure my weapons are always sighted in and in good working order. So many folks have spoken so highly of these single shot USH's that I feel this would be a good fit for me.
Is the 20 sufficent with quality ammo for the ranges that I face? I can still track and drag short distances but must use a cart for longer distances.
Any imput would be highly appreciated!
Thanks,
-Tom
Aim High & Let It Fly!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Convince Me!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:42:55 AM »
Here is what Hornady has to say about their new 20ga SST.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=205

I think with a good scope and a lot of practice...175 yard shots are possible, if you are an 'above average' shooter.  IMO, for shots that long, I would use a 12ga.  If recoil is the problem, maybe you could have your barrel ported.  Just my $.02.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Convince Me!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
Like you say, with lots of practice and an above average shooter 175 yards is doable. I have a 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Limited Edition and it is the most accurate slug gun I have ever shot in over 30 years of hunting with slug guns.

You will want the new saboted slugs on the market though. The Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Partition Golds, Federal/Barnes, Winchester Platinum Tips, (NEW) Remington Copper Solids or the newest Hornady SST that should be out this summer. Most of these are in the 1700-2000 FPS range with the exception of the Federal/Barnes which is in the 1400-1500 FPS range if I remember correctly. These are .45 caliber bullets in the 250-260 grain range and have some very good trajectories. Just don't believe everything you read on the box or their ad copy, you will need to shoot at all the ranges you intend to shoot for your trajectory with any given load.

For the 100 yard and under stuff you can get by with Lightfields and other heavy hitters. I have taken animals from 60-125 yards with mine using the Remington Core-Lokt and Winchester Partition Golds. I am looking forward to shooting some new Hornady SST's this year.

These H&R/NEF's might not be the prettiest slug gun, but they will shoot as good or better than custom guns costing 10 times as much. :grin:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
Convince Me!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:23:34 PM »
I too traded in my 870 for an USH and couldn't be happier.
For me anyways, the accuracy and consistency was like night and day in favor of the USH.
Without a doubt the hardest decision is not to buy an USH but whether to buy the 12 or the 20.
That has tormented many of us in this forum and there are many posts herein to substantiate that claim.

I purchased the 12 ga and yes it's one heavy slug gun.
But it's weight is an asset in that it is very stable on the rest and it absorbs the recoil.
My 870 used to knock me silly at the range.  The recoil in the USH is noticebly less, using comparable sabots.

I purchased my son the 20 ga and that likewise is one sweet gun.
When the day comes that I too can no longer lug around the 12 his 20 will be my gun of choice.

Please take a look at this link: www.soccerweb.org/sabots.pdf
This is just something I put together by pulling off specs from various manufacturers websites.

My reason for bringing this to your attention is that if your planning on using a 20 to get you out to 175 yds
.....it'll get there, but it might not have enough left to adequately do the job.
Your fine with any of the previously mentioned sabots out to 125 yards.
But beyond that you may be stretching it and may be better served with the 12 gauge.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Flatshooter

Convince Me!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! M.I. Sabot nice job on the table. It helps steer you in the proper direction no doubt.
Aim High & Let It Fly!