Author Topic: Help: Need scope for .338 win mag (browning BAR)  (Read 1574 times)

Offline nasem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Help: Need scope for .338 win mag (browning BAR)
« on: February 16, 2006, 03:01:56 PM »
alright, here we go again, its that time of the month when you start thinking about adding a new rifle to your safe....then 2 days later, you think some more, 1 week later, you decide to order the gun, 1-hr after that you order the gun and wait about 2 more weeks until you get it....

anyways, I'll shut up now and ask my question, I placed an order for a Browning BAR in .338 win mag, I need a scope, I can't spend alot, I am on a VERY VERY VERY VERY crappy budget, the rifle sucked $850 from me and I only have about $60-70 for a scope......

Im not sure if I'll ever go hunting with it anytime this year, but next year I "wanted" to plan a moose hunting trip down in North Carolina, and there is a good chance that this coming november I'll be going to visit family in Alaska (huge piece of private land hunting, WITH BEARS...but thats not really my intension)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Help: Need scope for .338 win mag (browning BAR)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 05:07:04 PM »
Quote from: nasem

anyways, I'll shut up now and ask my question, I placed an order for a Browning BAR in .338 win mag, I need a scope, I can't spend alot, I am on a VERY VERY VERY VERY crappy budget, the rifle sucked $850 from me and I only have about $60-70 for a scope......

Im not sure if I'll ever go hunting with it anytime this year, but next year I "wanted" to plan a moose hunting trip down in North Carolina, and there is a good chance that this coming november I'll be going to visit family in Alaska (huge piece of private land hunting, WITH BEARS...but thats not really my intension)

I would wait to get a scope that will hold up to the recoil of the 338 Win Mag. You will be buying a lot of $60 and $70.00 scopes if you go that route. But what baffled me is:
"moose hunting trip down in North Carolina"
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
Help: Need scope for .338 win mag (browning
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
sorry redhawk, that was a mistake, I meant to say Im going to north carolina to hunt some cape buffalos, lions, tigers, elephants, oh and I almost forgot, white rhinos.......... (just kidding) :D

I have been to NC only once and it was not for hunting, so I don't know if there is moose there or not, but my brother does do alot of deer hunting so thats why I said "wanted"

How about the bushnell banner 4-12 X40 ? would that hold up to the 338 win mag ?

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but I used to be like you.  As it relates to purchasing guns and then topping them with cheap excuses for scopes.  I learned the hard way one year.  About two weeks before opening day of deer season a Bushnell Sportview scope atop a .308 went to crap.  Sent it back to the factory but didn't get it back until well after the season was over.  Luckily, we had a spare Weaver 2.5X scope in the drawer.

Someone, I believe a magazine article writer, once said that he is amazed how people go out and spend tons of money on a nice rifle and then top it with a $50 scope.  If the scope were to fail then the rifle is pretty much useless, unless you have a back up scope or a set of iron sights.  Most rifles nowadays don't come with the irons anymore.

Recenlty I've reversed my way of thinking.  Now I'm spending about the same amount of money on the optic as I do the gun.  Most of the time its less, but not by much.  My latest scope purchase was a Zeiss Conquest at about $400.  The gun it will be on is a custom Savage 338-06.  Total cost of the gun will be about $500 when its all put together (w/o scope cost of course).

I'm not saying that I've got a better scope than anyone else, just saying that I value the optic and what it means to my hunting experience more than I used to.  I have a lot of faith in my Bushnell Elite 3200s, 4200s, and now my Zeiss.  In my opinion, I'd say forget about topping the gun with a cheap scope for awhile.  Save some money over the course of the spring/summer, sell some odds and ends on eBay, and buy something that you will be happy with for the life of the gun.  A nice scope for the money would be a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40.  This line of scopes has been tested to 1,000 rounds of 375 H&H and comes with Bushnell's forever warranty.  Plus, it will only set you back about $175.

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 05:58:25 AM »
This should bring it back to visibility for you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 06:32:04 AM »
I agree with Ranger....My Ruger M-77 .243 wears a Leupold VX-II...My Knight Disc wears a VX-II...My Remington 541-T .22 wears a VX-II compact....
Guess I'm different, but I would rather have less guns, but higher quality....I do have some buddies that have tried the Nikon ProStaff ($150), That is the cheapest I would go on a .338, or a serious hunting rifle....If you are bent on not spending that much then I guess the Bushnell Banner is as good as any to try....Let us know how it holds up....

btw....A few years back, I took a quart jar and started putting my quarters in it each day....Adds up to about $150 per jar....If it was me, I'd shoot it with open sights until I had saved two quarts....

PS...I have lived in NC most of my life...largest animal you would run across here is black bears...no moose...

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 06:44:13 AM »
Ranger has it right. I also went through the times I could only afford cheap scopes. Now all my guns wear Leupold's. Most not all of my rifles don't have iron sights, so a good quality scope is a must. I would hate to travel to Alaska on a hunt of a life time and find out my scope crapped out on me. But when I do go on a hunt like that I carry a spare scope.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:08:29 AM »
hmm, Nikon prostaff for $150, thats about double what Im willing to spend but BECUASE I like you guys' experience in the field (which is probebly older than my age), I will defenetly look into the prostaff if, I stress this if, that I can't find a $100 scope that would fit the .338 and NOT give me any problems.

alright, so now, my budget went up to around $150, but thats maxed out, whats the best scope I can get for 150 ? Variable Im lookin for is 2-7 or 3-9, perfer 40MM.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 07:28:50 AM »
does the nikon prostaff come with lifetime warrenty ?
does the 3-9X40 come with a range finder ? (I really wanted one with this)

Offline flintlock

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 07:32:09 AM »
A Nikon ProStaff 2x7x32, runs about $129
A VX-I 2x7x33, runs $179.....The exit pupil on a 3x9x40 is 4.44, when set at 9x...The exit pupil on a 2x7x32 is 4.57, when set at 7x...So your eye will actually receive a little more light with a 2x7x32 than with a 3x9x40...

Before you commit to either...I would call Jon at the Optic Zone....He deals with these things all the time, and will have a broader range of experience...
He'll probably checkin on this shortly anyway...

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »
I hunted with a cheapo Bushnell Sportview for years and it helped me take many deer before it crapped out on me.  Stay away from BSA, Barsaka, NEC, and the other garbage floating around.  They won't hold zero and will string shots.  Buy a lower end Bushnell, you will be satisfied.  I even dropped my Sportview several times without it losing zero.  My advice is to buy a Banner for now and save up later for a better scope.  The new Banners are night and day difference from the old Sportviews.  The 4x12x40AO is just as clear as any scope I have and it sells for less than $100.  It holds zero well and will do a square.  It's mounted on a Savage 300 Win Mag and I know it will take the recoil.  The lower line Bushnells will get you out in the field without maxing out the credit cards.  They are just as clear as anything I've seen.  If there is a difference in the entire line of Bushnells, most people couldn't tell the difference.  My Banner is just as clear as my 3200 and my Legend.  The others just cost more. Shoot, you may even like it better than the high priced scopes.  I know I like mine better.  Iknow , I know, it sounds like a commercial but I didn't get paid one cent for writing this. :D

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 06:00:57 PM »
30-30-

I do like and underestand what you mean, but some of the folks here STRONGLY think that a fine rifle like that should wear a fine scope, I myself don't agree on spending 800 dollars on a scope, but, I am buying a 850 dollar rifle, I should atleast invest 150 on a scope......

My biggest question now is, I needed a scope that has a rangefinder compensator..... does the nikon prostaff 3-9 have this ?

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 06:15:05 PM »
ok ok
I got it narrowed down to 2 choices:

1) Nikon prostaff 3-9X40-------------------------------------$135
2) burris fullfield3-9-40 (with bullet compensator drop)-- $170

the prices above include shipping

what do you guys think ??

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 06:53:33 PM »
As I mentioned earlier in my previous post I recently bought a Zeiss scope for my 338-06.  I had the option of trying a mil-dot reticle, similar to a balistic plex, and decided against it.  Largely because I don't really intend to shoot much over 250 yards with it and I also felt that the fancy reticle might distract me by cluttering the veiw when the crap hits the fan.

You might do a little research first to see if you really need a range finding or ballistic plex reticle.  Often, with today's flat shooting rifles, you can hold dead on and be good out to 250 or 300 yards.  

Here's and example I took out of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.  Assuming you're using your .338 Win Mag for Moose or other big game you might choose their 225 grain pointed soft point bullet and load to near max of 2800 feet per second.  Now, sight the gun in so that it shoots 4.6" high at 100 yards.  Here is your bullet's path . . .

Muzzle - 1.5" low, 50 yards - 2.2" high, 100 yards 4.6" high, 200 yards 5.4" high, 300 yards - 0, 400 yards - 13" low.

As you can see from those figures, and looking at the large vital zone of a moose or elk, you can hold dead on and be within the kill zone out to probably 350 yards.  After that you'll have to start holding high.  The big question for you, or anyone else in your shoes, is do you feel comfortable taking shots that far out.  Can you put the bullet on the target under field conditions everytime.  You should, because you owe it to the animal to make a humane kill.  Not to mention the idea of possibly not getting the trophy of a lifetime.  

I'd forget about the fancy reticle and get the best scope you can for the money you are willing to spend.  Typically the fancy reticles cost more than the standard duplex style.  I still favor the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40 at about $175.

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 02:02:49 AM »
Ranger

I totally agree with you, I am probebly never going to try for a shot beyond 300 yards, but I have heard some bad things about bushnell's customer service, thats why I wanted to stay away from all bushnell scopes.

I am kind of confused about the balistic plex, I have never had one in real life so, how does it work ? I know the cross hairs don't exactly look like cross hairs from what the picture shows, but I don't underestand how to use it.... I know its not the same as having a range-finder compensator on a scope (even though this is what Im really looking for)

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 04:48:31 AM »
i have done a ton of research on scopes here are my FINAL OPTIONS

1) burris FF2 3-9X40 b-plex
2) leupold 3-9X40 VXI
3) nikon buckmaster

can't decide on which one  :cry:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »
If that's your final three buy the Leupold. If I were making the selection none of those three would be on my final list however. But I'm just making the decision based on what you've asked.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 07:32:07 AM »
what would be your final choices for scopes around the 175$ range ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 10:39:07 AM »
I'll soon be 61, next month in fact. I have long ago learned better than to select cheap scopes for heavy recoil guns. I would not chose a scope in that price range.

I'd select a scope from the Bushnell Elite 3200 or even better 4200 line or a Leupold from the VX-II or VX-III line. Prime choices in each would be the Elite 3200 2-7 which I have and use personally, the Elite 4200 1.5-6 which my wife has and uses and is a superb scope or a Leupold VX-II 2-7 or 3-9 or better yet the Leupold VX-III 1.75-7 or 2.5-8.

All of those scopes are on guns at my house. Those are what I do buy and do use.

Some would chose Nikon Monarch and I won't argue but say only that those I've seen in use by others didn't inspire me to spend my money on them. I've bought my last Burris scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 10:56:49 AM »
Graybeard, we finally agree on something today. GB is giving you great advice here.  Heavy recoil guns, need good optics.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »
Shucks it had to happen eventually that we'd agree on something even if we don't do it very often. Heck me and Lawdog even agreed once or twice before his untimely demise.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 12:54:07 PM »
so.... even you guys are suggesting that the leuopold vx-i is no good choice ? cause this is hitting my bank limitations, i mean 175-200 is what I can pull off but more than that is just..... *piggy bank time*

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 03:10:36 PM »
so.... even you guys are suggesting that the leuopold vx-i is no good choice ? cause this is hitting my bank limitations, i mean 175-200 is what I can pull off but more than that is just..... *piggy bank time*

Unless you need the scope ASAP, I would hold off on getting one until you can afford a good scope. Don't cheat yourself on optics.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 06:15:39 PM »
I have found it is always wiser to hold off until you can afford a good one to start with rather than wasting money on a cheap one. You might find a bargain in a used one. Both the Bushnell Elites and Leupold scopes carry a life time warranty that covers scopes you buy used as well. I've bought more used Leupolds than new ones over all I'd guess.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 04:34:51 AM »
I have 2 Buckmasters and 3 Burris Fullfiled II's.......all very good scopes for the money. Never any problems with them.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
I went with redhawk here, I ordered a "used" leopold Vx-ii from ebay for 250$...... when I got the scope, it was brand spanking new lol, I think they made a mistake and sent me a new one... I ain't complaining it is a 3-9X40

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 11:25:24 AM »
I went with redhawk here, I ordered a "used" leopold Vx-ii from ebay for 250$...... when I got the scope, it was brand spanking new lol, I think they made a mistake and sent me a new one... I ain't complaining it is a 3-9X40

I don't think you will be disappointed.  :D  :toast:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA