Author Topic: .444 marlin cast loads  (Read 1298 times)

Offline hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
.444 marlin cast loads
« on: February 17, 2006, 02:38:23 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for some good cast loads in the 275 gr. range--The bullets are WFNPB 275 gr.--believe they come from LBT cast bullets--Bought them from cabela's--There is no gas check, guess thats waht the pb means. Lead bullets seem to be a whole different animal from jacket bullets. I just want to be safe loading them--So any help your guys can give i think you--Also anylinks that help--

Thinks All hunter
always be safe and pass it on to a young hunter

Offline jar-wv

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 04:30:49 AM »
I would look at the data for the Hornady 265 gr and the Speer 270 gr and start with the starting loads. If they are Cast Performance Bullets, there is contact info for them at http://www.castperformance.com/?uid=170&page=1648

jar

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »
Hunter,

Conventional wisdom says that plain based cast bullets need to be driven at lower velocities, i.e. under 1500 fps for example.  Otherwise your bullets can melt upon take-off and leave LOTS of lead in your barrel.  You might check that out for your own edification. :wink:

BTW, the .444 is my favorite, go-to rifle and I shoot BTB hard cast 290 gr GC in it at around 2200 fps.  I strongly suggest you go with the .432 sized bullet.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/details.php?id=51

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:05:39 PM »
I used 32-34 gr of IMR 4198 behind an NEI 325 gr in the .430 JDJ.  Just loaded a fist full of .444's with that, but haven't launched any yet.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline hunter

.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 02:07:12 PM »
Think I'll save these .452 wfnpb for my contender and get some .452 GC cast bullets for my  .444 marlin--Things are getting clearer---any more help from you guys or gals would be helpful

Thank You
Hunter

Offline hunter

.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »
My bad .452 don't know where that came from--my .430 bullets

Offline hunter

.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »
and get some .432 gas check---with the gas check can u load about you load for jacket bullets?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:17:49 AM »
hunter - you have already received some very good advice.  Those plain based bullets will lead the hay out of your bore if you push them too hot.  

I like my 444s, all three of them.  If you really want to enjoy shooting your Triple 4 with cast, get yourself up on the Beartooth Bullets website and read what Marshall Stanton has written about shooting cast in the 444.  

I have found that one of my 444s prefers the .431 slugs while others prefer the .432.  I would also suggest following Stanton's recommendation to firelap your bore - you can have fun doing it and the accuracy improvements really give you lots of shooting pleasure with that caliber.  I have shot some of the smallest groups I have ever seen with my 444s and heavy cast bullets - some of the other shooters at the range can't believe a lever is that accurate.  Then I bring out my Timber Carbine with it's 18.5" bbl and really enjoy watching their jaws drop.  

You can have lots of fun with any gun but you can have more with a 444.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:06:44 AM »
Quote from: Mikey
hunter - you have already received some very good advice.  Those plain based bullets will lead the hay out of your bore if you push them too hot.  

I like my 444s, all three of them.  If you really want to enjoy shooting your Triple 4 with cast, get yourself up on the Beartooth Bullets website and read what Marshall Stanton has written about shooting cast in the 444.  

I have found that one of my 444s prefers the .431 slugs while others prefer the .432.  I would also suggest following Stanton's recommendation to firelap your bore - you can have fun doing it and the accuracy improvements really give you lots of shooting pleasure with that caliber.  I have shot some of the smallest groups I have ever seen with my 444s and heavy cast bullets - some of the other shooters at the range can't believe a lever is that accurate.  Then I bring out my Timber Carbine with it's 18.5" bbl and really enjoy watching their jaws drop.  

You can have lots of fun with any gun but you can have more with a 444.  JMHO.  Mikey.

A BIG amen to what Mickey said.  It sounds a bit confusing bit isn't at all.  E-mail me if you need.  We gots to stick together bro. :wink:

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline the Black Spot

.444 marlin cast loads
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 05:43:25 PM »
i am using 47 gr of varget behind a lee 310 gr gas check out of my micro groove barrel and get about 2000 fps and 1.75" groups at 100yds with williams peep sight. i could probably cut that in half if i can ever get around to firelapping the bore.
the just shall live by faith