Author Topic: (cheap Bushnel) vs (bsa) vs (simmons) vs (tasco)  (Read 2805 times)

Offline nasem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
(cheap Bushnel) vs (bsa) vs (simmons) vs (tasco)
« on: February 23, 2006, 09:40:01 AM »
I have a question about the cheaper scopes,
yesterday I bought a 22 win mag from walmart (on clerance) for $110, I wanted to top it off with a high variable scope, something like a 6-18X40MM or so, here are my options:

BSA 6-18X40mm
bushnell banner 6-18X40
simmons 6-18X40
tasco 6-18X40

do any of you have any experience with any of these ? do they hold point of impact good at any magnification ?  any comments would be appreciated,

thanks

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
(cheap Bushnel) vs (bsa) vs (simmons) vs (t
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »
If i had to rank them in order of 1 to 4 it would be .

1 Bushnell Banner

2 Simons

3 Tasco

4 BSA

I have or have had all of these brands in all diffrent powers , right now i have the Bushnell in 6x18 on my handi 223 and the Tasco 6x18 on my H&R 22 mag.

Both are very clear optic wise even at 18x , the Simons that i have are 3x9 and 4x on 22LRs and work for what i do with them .

As far as BSA , i have had nothing but problems with their products and will not buy them again . For what its worth.
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
Go with either bushnell banner 6-18X40 or simmons 6-18X40 for your 22 Win Mag.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:01:17 PM »
I was also lookin at the tasco one with 6-24X42 mil-dot.... very nice about 70$

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »
The BSA shouldn't even be on a list unless we are talking paper weights.  Seriously, the Banner is lightyears ahead of them all.  The others are just a waste of money.  I have had good luck with Simmons but I had an AETEC.  Banner rules the cheap scopes.  BSA is the worst excuse for optics I've seen.  I rather have iron sights than look through any cloudy piece of junk BSA and I talk form experience of owning one.  Whew!  I'm sorry, I just hate BSA with a passion.  When they first came out they had plastic lenses, that should tell you something about BSA.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:09:51 PM »
wow, LMAO, there is not a single person here in graybeardoutdoors that likes BSA.

Ok they are officially out of the list, but I like those Tasco Varmint 6-24X42 mil-dot scopes, they seem very interesting, what input do you guys have on em ?

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 02:14:58 PM »
I have a BSA Mil-Dot 4-16x44 Mounted on my 17HMR Savage. I was VERY surprised by the new production BSA scopes. It is significantly clearer than the Tasco Varmint you have in question and even more than my Target 1/8 dot model 6-24x44, which is a step up from the Mil-Dot model.  
I looked through a few BSA models a couple years ago, and yes I agree with all others that they were total junk and a cloudy mess! :x
BUT, it seems that they have made several changes in the last 2 or 3 years in the way and QC they manufacture scopes. The optics are way better than ever before. I'm not saying that they are the way to go, only that I now have a decent clear scope that BSA should have been making all along.
Unfortunately they have already made a bad taste in the mouths of consumers, and those will probably never give them another try again. They should have done it right the first time.

The Mueller, Legend, and if those are too much, the Banner..these seem the best bet on budget prices.

Offline str8shooter48

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 02:19:08 AM »
I have an older 4x12x40 Banner on a 6MMRem  its a pretty good scope. I bought a 223bbl for my Encore last year and put a 6x18x40 Bushnell Trophy on it. By far a nicer scope and it didn't break the bank

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
You can get the bushnell banner 6-24x40 mil dot from the Optic Zone. I just got two of them and they are really great scopes for the money. I compared one of them with an Elite 4200 6-24x40 late yesterday evening and they really were a lot closer to the 4200 than I expected.  vernonp

Offline wolfe 21

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »
stay away from Tasco products.  Bought one, same model and magnification you're looking at, and wishing I'd never seen it.  Thing won't even hold POI on a 22LR, none the less the 223 Handi I bought it for.  The optics aren't that good either.  I personally have had good luck with my simmons, but it's a discontinued 3-9X deerfield model and it was on a 22lr winny.  Just my .02

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
well i got a Tasco 6-24x42 mil-dot, i'll let y'all know how well it works on my.308. But i managed to get away with a $30 Barska 4x32 on my .22 Nylon 66. My .17HMR wore(past tense now :)) a BSA Sweet 17 and it won't POI for anything.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now