Author Topic: 308 Bullet Performance on WhiteTail  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Danegeld

• Trade Count: (0)
308 Bullet Performance on WhiteTail
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:34:24 PM »
Hello Ya'll,

I hope this is in the correct forum.  Eitherway here is a 150gr Remington 308 bullet I took a 3x3 Whitetail with a couple of years ago.  The shot was about 75yds and the buck went down flopping like a bass out of water.  It only lost about 35gr in weight and expanded really well.

Take Care
Ben

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 03:10:23 PM »
I don't believe it!  Its not a Barnes br549xr nor one of the other buck a pop bullets.  Don't you know you can't kill a deer with a standard bullet?   :-D

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:47:39 PM »
I don't believe it! Its not a Barnes br549xr nor one of the other buck a pop bullets. Don't you know you can't kill a deer with a standard bullet?

Aw come on now, you know that if your going to hunt deer, you need a really tuff bullet. Actually I'd like to know how you got the bullet? In 45 yrs, I've recovered exactly two (2)! Everything else shot at deer has shot thru. And I've never used premium bullets on anything in my life. Hornady spire points, Speer hot cores, a few Sierra's and Remington core loc.

Ah one more thing, in the same time, I've never seen a deer shot in the lungs at a reasonable distence with a suitable bullet from a suitable cartridge go much more than maybe 20 yds. I understand heart shot deer will but I've never done that.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 03:49:29 PM »
I don't believe it! Its not a Barnes br549xr nor one of the other buck a pop bullets. Don't you know you can't kill a deer with a standard bullet?

Aw come on now, you know that if your going to hunt deer, you need a really tuff bullet. Actually I'd like to know how you got the bullet? In 45 yrs, I've recovered exactly two (2)! Everything else shot at deer has shot thru. And I've never used premium bullets on anything in my life. Hornady spire points, Speer hot cores, a few Sierra's and Remington core loc.

Ah one more thing, in the same time, I've never seen a deer shot in the lungs at a reasonable distence with a suitable bullet from a suitable cartridge go much more than maybe 20 yds. I understand heart shot deer will but I've never done that.

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 04:10:22 PM »
Sadly, I pulled it from his tenderloin :(  I popped him when he was facing me.  Dead in the chest and thru the heart.

Ben

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 03:58:57 AM »
Of all the deer I have shot this is the only bullet I have recovered. It was a 165 grain Sierra Game King from a .30-06. Hit the deer just in front of the left hind quater and ended up on top of the right front shoulder.
Deer made a leap or two but didn't get too far.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=478
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=477

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »
You must be careful mentioning any positive results with bullets not of so called "Premium" construction on these forums. Especially the Corelokt. If it doesn't command a premium price how can it provide premium performance? My 308 deer and hog load has been found using the 165 gr. Corelokt pushed to around 2600 fps., Works for me!
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline tscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 08:39:58 AM »
When dick's has the ammo sale I pick up coreloks... $10. This years deer
was shot with .300 Savage 180 gr, out of my pre mil 99. Perfect 100% retention and mushroom. Of the 10 or so bucks (out of 98), that I have shot that did not move after being hit, all were coreloks. I guess there are more accurate bullets. I agree with the gun writers of my youth. Consistently on a paper plate at 100yds, is fine for Northeast deer. Also fine for where I've settled in the NC mtns.....

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 09:09:01 AM »
I have a buddy who has a Savage 99 in .243.  We grew up together in Leon County, Tx and are best friends.  We've both shot a slew of deer with nothing but store-bought ammo.  The best might have been Winchester Silvertip.  That's a nice shooting lever action rifle.

Ben

Offline flintlock

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
Now you've gone and done it!!!! Mentioned a .243 and CoreLokts in the same thread :-D  :-D  :-D Hope he wasn't hunting nothing bigger than ground hogs with that thing...You keep on and some of these guys are going to tell you that you need a "real" gun on this forum... :D

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »
Here is a picture of the Ninety Nine.  That's my buddy with his son and YES, his first deer.  It's now a second generation hunting iron :)  Feed store ammo; "I need five 50lb sacks of cracked corn and a box of .243 shells..." LOL :D

Ben

Offline rickt300

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
Nice pictures. Sorta acknowledges that inexpensive good factory ammo is an American hunting heratidge. Now if I can just find a M99 Savage in 243 at the next gun show.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 01:44:59 PM »
My 308 deer and hog load has been found using the 165 gr. Corelokt pushed to around 2600 fps., Works for me!

BLASFIME!!!! Bad enought I can't spell, I gotta listen to this garbage about how you used crap bullet's to shoot deer. I think this thread ought to be locked! :grin:

Offline rickt300

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 04:32:49 AM »
I even shoot elk with Speer and Hornady bullets. Saw a shadow, look out!

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 06:33:59 AM »
Ah, here is a pic of the little buck :) Check out the Rem, Model Seven.

Take Care
Ben

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »
I buy core lokt 30 cal 150 grain by the 1000 for 90 bucks. Cant go wrong. Affordable plentiful effective accurate deadly in my great 308.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline manitou210

.308 Bullet
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 06:34:18 PM »
These two bucks one shot each speer hot cors 150gr .308 with lots of H 4064 I have always used  nosler partitions but these work fine on Quebec white tails and black bears as for moose I still use partitions only because I have a lot loaded.

Rem Model 7 .308, 1.75 to6x Leupold with Premier dot total weight 6.7lbs[/img]

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 12:31:17 AM »
Excellent Rifle, Excellent :)

Take Care
Ben

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 05:32:07 AM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
I don't believe it!  Its not a Barnes br549xr nor one of the other buck a pop bullets.  Don't you know you can't kill a deer with a standard bullet?   :-D

I'm suprised........How long do you think this thread can go without involking the rath of Redhawk1?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 07:42:48 AM »
victorcharlie, I never said Corelokt would not works for deer, I just don't use them. It is by my choice. If they work for you great, but I use other bullets. I just did not see a point of posting a response just to see a post like some of you do, or just to get a rise out of others. I don't make it a point to come here and try to tell someone they don't need them premium bullets to kill anything, as you and some or your  buddy's do. The only reason I posted this time was to respond to you, I know you are like one of my children and if you don't get attention you get upset, I just wish I was close enough to you to do what I did to my kids when they act up.  :)  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »
Can I borrow your car this weekend?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »
Corelokt 165gr 30-06 is my favorite for deer or hogs, unless I'm hunting in west Texas. Then I like something a little flatter shooting.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 09:14:47 PM »
14 yrs of hunting with rem corlokts with no losses and only a few have run, none out of sight from the stand.... All my dad's used in 20+ years with same results. I see no reason to spend the money on anything else.
-Davoh

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 01:46:29 PM »
Nothing shoots better out of my T/C Encore pistol.  I haven't killed a deer with this rig yet, but I know that if and when the oppritunity presents, and I do my part, the Corelokt will get the job done.  In the meantime, I am practicing weekly with the same inexpensive ammo that I will be hunting with.  Whatta deal!

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 308 Bullet Performance on WhiteTail
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »
As far as the Core-Lokt goes, I've had mixed results.  One decent sized doe hardly had a blood trail at all and it was shot with a .270 Win. at 80 yards.  I mean TINY little flecks of blood I could only see when I was on my hands and knees.  I found the deer but it was a long time in coming. In contrast, last year I shot another doe (we have way too many in Ky.) and I could not have dropped a bag of concrete and have it land any harder than she did.  She never took another step.  This time, the caliber was the .30/06. 

I tried some Core-Lokt's from my .308 and another bunch from my '06 in a box of phone books so I could recover the bullets.  Without exception, every bullet recovered was nothing more than the jacket itself.  No lead, whatsoever, so it kind of begs the question of how they came up with the name "Core-Lokt."  I understand the original bullets were made better and that the new "premium" Core-Lokt is a throwback to the old days when this bullet was all the rage. In the bullet's defense though, I will have to say the penetration was about 12" on both, plenty deep.  I don't know about the integrity of this medium but with the mixed results I had, I went and bought some Fusion bullets and am going to try the same test with them tomorrow to see whether or not they will separate like the Core-Lokts.     

Offline rickt300

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 06:07:05 AM »
I am absolutely certain the North Forks Barnes Tripple shoks and Nosler Partitions will make much better phone book bullets than the Coreloks. Ain't so sure you will be able to tell on deer though.

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 04:14:47 PM »
Rickt300,

I do know that the .270 I shot a Core-Lokt through, the bullet hit the deer tight behind the shoulder and it took forever to find the deer with only little flecks of blood here and there.  Had it been a Barnes or a Partition, I feel certain the blood trail would have been more substantial.  Whether used on phone books or whitetail, I feel like the bullet is a failure.  The whitetail I shot with my '06 and the 150 gr.l Core-Lokt, as I said, she went down RIGHT NOW.  It appears the bullet went though behind the shoulder, richocheted off a far side rib and exited the neck.  People have been killing deer with the Core-Lokt and the Power Point from Winchester for a long time but I've just not had consistently good results with either.  Using newsprint, whether wet or dry, is a pretty good medium for testing bullets and both of those bullets failed in my view.  However, the Power Point did have two out of ten I shot and recovered that at least had some core left.  The Core-Lokts didn't. Personal preference.  I just feel like a bullet is your least expensive component of a hunt and the tool that actually takes the deer's life so, I think I will use a more premium bullet to either anchor the game or make the blood trail a short one. The Federal Fusion bullet I fired into a box just today was very good and the price tag on that box was 17.00.  Apparently good bullet without the "premium" price tag of nearly 30.00 a box.       

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 04:52:17 PM »
Having confidence in your bullet is a must.  That's for sure.
 Since I've had good luck with them, when I am developing a load for any sub magnum rifle, the core lokt is the first bullet I try. 
A high lung shot will let a deer run quite a ways without a blood trail to speak of as the blood is puddling inside the chest cavity and the lungs must fill up before the blood spills out of the bullet hole. 

Offline Casull

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 05:24:37 PM »
Sadly, I pulled it from his tenderloin   I popped him when he was facing me.  Dead in the chest and thru the heart.

Did the bullet ricochet or change direction in the deer?  Otherwise, how could you shoot it through the heart (bottom of the chest) and have it lodge in the tenderloin (top of the body cavity).  Perhaps you were shooting up at it.  Just curious.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 04:43:07 AM »
Took two whitetails last with Corelokt 150gr out of my .308 Handi and neither moved out of their tracks.  Of course this was really a tribute to my great shooting ability and I guess those who can’t shoot as well need ‘better’ bullets. ::)
RJ