Author Topic: Let the price gouging BEGIN  (Read 3228 times)

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Let the price gouging BEGIN
« on: February 25, 2006, 03:29:09 AM »
Was at a sporting goods retailer last night, Lo and Behold a rack of 94's. Rangers, Trails ends, Legacy's, Packer's, I'd say about 2 dozen in all. Interesting that a week before the announcment I looked at Winchesters on there racks. Saturday after the announcment..... NOTHIN'. Now there back. Price? Let me just say that I have a Trails End in .45colt. bought at the ridiculiously low price of approx $500, (sarcasm intended), now one will set you back $999, hey at least it ain't a thousand. (Again sarcasm intended). In my perfect world no sane gun owner would stoop so low as to pay these ridiculous prices. They would let the stores get sick of looking at them. But we are not perfect, and thats a good thing. As the subject line suggests, it now begins. CRASH87

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:46:23 AM »
Did you happen to see the price on the Winchester Model 94 legacy rifles? I bought one last year and paid $399.00 . It was a little more than that after the sales tax was added , but still a good deal.
coyote trapper1928

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 03:54:32 AM »
Coyote trapper I wished I had doen what you did.. Bought early AHHH!

By the way I a pretty sure who is doing the PRICE HICKING, Sheels! :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 04:01:19 AM »
I can't say I remember the price but I do remember the price on the one Legacy w/26" barrel, Marbles sight, they called it the hunter round, It was a buck under a thousand. The store is about 45 min. from my home. I'm curious as to see how they sell. So I'll probably be going back on a regular basis just to see. I can guarantee you it is well over the $399 you paid. CRASH87

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 04:04:21 AM »
msorenso, I'm not going to devulge the store as I don't do advertising for cooporate greed. But you do indeed have quality insight.
                                       CRASH87

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 04:14:38 AM »
Yeah and I will advertise for them some more, people look around a bit, there are many still in stores, depending on what you want of course..  Look on the net, you can get about anything with no nearly the price thses fools are asking.   I understand if certain groups wanted a little bit of a permium, no problem but not 50% on top of what they already are collecting???  Especially on items of which there are millions of and hundreds of thousands for sale still NIB?? For the people doing this it is really crappy.. I will admit I looking hard for some safari model 70s'  All three to be exact...  passed one up over a month ago, I am now killing myself for!   :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 04:19:50 AM »
I was in a local national sporting goods retailer last Sunday, and to my surprise, there was a rack full of Mod. 70's.  I really did not expect to ever see these on the rack again.  Another surprise was that the prices were the standard that we've been used to seeing over the past year.  Not a single levergun however.  Looks like the distributors are trying to unload the WSM's that are in stock.  And, the stocks were stained so dark, no grain in the wood is even visible.  

Seems that if you want a new Mod.70 in one of the WSM calibers, there are still some available.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 04:24:37 AM »
Do you mind PM me on where these we at and a  possible phone #..  C couple hard to find I am still looking for? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline dave hall

• Contributor
  • The Great .458
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »
Theres a Winchester 450 Marlin on there for $1,000  :lol: unbelievable.I bought one two years for 399 used. I could kick myself for not keeping it.
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »
Gee, I might part with my Winchester M70 Classic Stainless 375 H&H for $1300.  Only paid $675.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline all4abuck

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
Have you guys tried CDNN?  I think there still WSM and WSSMs left.
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust;

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 01:50:36 AM »
i have got 3 left hand model 70's left. 2 7mm rem. mag. and one 30-06. if you want take 10% off msrp and you pay shipping to your ffl and they are yours. hows that for not gouging?

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 02:34:23 AM »
The gun shop I normally use has a rack full of Winchester bolt guns.  All the 94s are gone but they are even having a sale on what they have left.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 05:42:35 AM »
Kieth ,
Can you PM me on the location and phone #..  Thank You :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
price gouging
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 12:14:36 PM »
just sold the 30-06 to a form member . got two 7 rem mag. model 70 left hand left. 10% off msrp=$810.00-81.00= 729.00 plus 25 shipping. these are new in the box. just for leftys or fast rightys

Offline Curly

• Avid Poster
Thank you Fatercat
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 02:03:00 AM »
I look forward to seeing my new toy,   Pleasure doing business with you.  Curly

Offline all4abuck

Thanks Keith
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »
Thanks for the tip on Midwestern.  I picked up a 70 featherweight blue in .243 for $569.  Reed's is selling them for $1099.99.  He said they did not raise their prices and they are selling them fast.  He had only few short magnums left, including one lefty.  No more standards.
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust;

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 05:49:13 AM »
The h-- With places like reeds.  I understand selling at a little premium not almost double..  Sheels same s***.. Speaking of sheels just bought a 45-90 1886 for a dealer that just ordered me one in.  As of 14days ago.  1098 out the door.  Went to scheels to loook around they had one fro $1799.00 what a scam! :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »
Just paid $194 and thats with tax for a 1300 deluxe. Thats NIB, didn't really need it, but picked it up so I'll have one for when the boys get older.

Offline all4abuck

Gander Mountain
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 02:57:50 PM »
I was in Dayton Ohio today for business and stopped at Gander.  They had 3 featherweight stainless and wood 70s in 7mm, 243, and 30-06, plus a few short mags in in composite.  They upped the price of the standards to $870 from $570 last month.

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 08:15:25 PM »
Yeah it's incredible the way prices went nuts so quickly!
Ihad been wanting a lever carbine in .357 for a long time but the cowboy action people all want one too and the prices were a little high before Winchesters announcement.
I really wanted a Marlin but a week after Winchester hit the news a fella offered me his Trapper in 95% condition for $350.
Retail had been a tad over $400 so I thought the deal was fair and bought the thing. I looked them up on the auctions and NIB were going for over 600!
I saw a run of the mill Ranger 30-30, used, and the bidding was OVER 400!

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 01:14:56 AM »
I can say it has been fueling my entertainment watching the final count down on some of the gun aution sites.
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 05:20:45 PM »
Ive got in my safes a number of Winchesters, nothing old, late 70's and up. When ever something interesting came along I would pick it up. A few years ago I bought a Big Bore XTR .375 Win. price $400. 20 rds of ammo through it and I got the brass too. I always liked the .375 Win, owning one in a Ruger #3 also. I put a williams peep on it and took it hunting. I just recently saw an add for the same set up as mine, price $1350. It got me to thinking, if these people willing to pay 2or3 times more than they should, would have bought Winchesters when they could have gotten them at pre March 2006 prices, would they have still closed there doors. Owning to the fact that they probably couldnt keep up with demand. Probably, when they could have them easily, they didnt want them. Now there not going to have them anymore and they can't be without. The one thing I know for sure, Mine are still being used for there intended purpose, hunting with, shooting and enjoying them. They will never, ever be for sale to some______, with more money than brains.
                    CRASH87

Offline Harold50

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »
The moment someone buys the manufacturing rights to the M70 and the M94 the prices will plummet.

A drive by the factory would convince anyone that there are "brownfields" issues, thus, the rights sold must be independent of using that facility. Maybe some legislation at the state level protecting buyers of old buildings like that from lawsuit for past practices might help but complying with the codicils in a bill like that could be overwhelming in themselves.

I guess I wouldn't want to be holding several $1,500.00 M70s for very long. Take the risk after selling enough to recoup the initial investment.

Harold
Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...

Offline waltcowan

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 10:02:09 AM »
cant wait for the new owners to come out with a stainless 94. :grin:

Offline encore4me

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Let the price gouging BEGIN
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »
 Just layedaway a new Winchester Trapper (Wrangler) 30/30 for $399.00 I thought that was a great deal.

Matt

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 03:01:22 PM »
a couple months ago I got more than than selling a Ranger.  Prices are on the way down, apparently.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 05:49:35 PM »
  Will the Model 9417 .17 HMR rifles go down in price?
coyote trapper1928

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 05:54:21 AM »
This is why I thought it was strange that Bass Pro has M70 Classic Laminate for 499.00, WSM chamberings