Author Topic: Springfield Armory 3rd Generation Scope  (Read 514 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Springfield Armory 3rd Generation Scope
« on: February 25, 2006, 08:10:03 AM »
I am looking at purchasing a different scope for my Bushmaster Varminter. I currently have a Burris Fullfield II, 6-20x50.  I love the scope, but for the woods, it is a little too powerful. I was looking at buying a 4-14x56 3rd Generation w/Illuminated reticles and mildot crosshairs. Does anybody have any feedback on these scopes? Is there another scope similiar in size that I would be better off buying within $250 of the price of the Springfield?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »
You acknowledge that your 6-20 has too much magnification and are considering dropping only to a 4-14? Do you really think you are gaining anything? You aren't really. If you're hunting in woods you need no more than a 2-7 and it gives a really wide FOV at the lower end and likely nearly as wide at the upper end as the other scopes on the lower end.

One of the best I've ever looked thru for woods hunting is the Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6. My wife has this one mounted on her rifle. We got it for her to use on a night time hog hunt in TX and it is the brightest and clearest low light scope I've looked thru. The Leupold VX-III 1.75-6 is similar but not as bright. I have this one also. The Leupold 2-7s are excellent choices and the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7 is pretty much the same as the Leupold 2-7s. I have and use all of these scopes. The most powerful scope I've gone to the woods with in at least 20 years is the Leupold VX-II 3-9. If I live another 20 which at my age is doubtful I'll not take another more powerful than it to the woods in that time frame.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:11:01 AM »
I find a scope in tight close woods to be more of a libility than an asset.  Give me open sights in the hardwoods......

I have a Leupold 1.75X6 and for close quick shooting it's still to much.  I agree with GB......for woods hunting less power is better!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater