Author Topic: overkill  (Read 1952 times)

Offline varmithunter06

• Trade Count: (0)
overkill
« on: February 25, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »
do yall think the 7mm mag is an overkill own a deer?

Offline Dave in WV

overkill
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »
Yes and no.  :?  There is no such thing in reality. Do you need a 7mm mag to deer hunt? Probably not but it's not wrong to use one. A .243 works fine for me but I still own a 30-06 & 7mm-08. :wink:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
overkill
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
It depends on how big the average deer are in your area. It depends on how far your shots are on average.
In some areas the deer don't get much bigger than 80# and the brush is thick limiting you to rather short shots. For an area like this I think the 7 mag would be overkill.
In other areas the deer can get up in the 200# - 300# range for big deer like this the 7 mag would be great.
Some areas you may have power lines or farm fields where you can get extremly long shots the 7mag really shines at LONG range.
Where I live in Maryland we have a good mix of the types of hunting I described. So I perfer a .270 for my long shooting and a .30-06 for the rest. I feel they are the best two all around deer calibers.
So just like Dave in WV said, my answer would YES and NO!!!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
overkill
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 05:38:10 PM »
Yes in that it is more than is needed. If you like the 7MM bore then a 7x57, 7-08 or .280 Remington get the job done just as well and with less recoil, less noise and less excess meat damage. To me the 7-08 or 7x57 are the ideal deer rounds.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
overkill
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 01:42:06 AM »
Overkill, dead is dead. Now you can get more meat damage. I would go with the 7mm08 instead, but if 7MM Mag is all you have, use it. Just pick your shot and keep the bullet out of the front shoulder.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

overkill
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 04:00:40 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Yes in that it is more than is needed. If you like the 7MM bore then a 7x57, 7-08 or .280 Remington get the job done just as well and with less recoil, less noise and less excess meat damage. To me the 7-08 or 7x57 are the ideal deer rounds.

Unless your hunting out west and are going to try shooting deer at extreme ranges a 7mm Mag is really more gun than necessary.  I killed my first deer with a 7X57mm many years ago and have considered it about a good a deer round as a fellow can get.

I had a 7mm Mag....bought it out west.....traded it off when I returned to Tennessee.......recoil was brutal.....almost ruined my shooting!  Bought another .243 and used it for years killing many deer with it.

Now, for were I hunt.......a .35 Remington fills the ticket.......

One of the things I look for now is how to reduce my reloading cost as powder is near $20 a lb.......loading half the powder in a smaller case makes the powder go a lot farther......7mm Mags take quite a bit more powder......than a 7mm/08 or 7X57.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline beemanbeme

overkill
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
If a 7mag is your only rifle, use it and don't worry about it.  Dead is indeed dead.  You will find that if you use a heavy for calibre bullet, 160's or 175's, the meat damage will be much less than if you send some light for calibre screamer after your deer.  
I've kilt mulies with 160's from a 7mag and 200's from a 300WM and could not tell a lot of difference between them and a .280 or a 30-06.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
overkill
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:33:00 AM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
If a 7mag is your only rifle, use it and don't worry about it.  Dead is indeed dead.  You will find that if you use a heavy for calibre bullet, 160's or 175's, the meat damage will be much less than if you send some light for calibre screamer after your deer.  
I've kilt mulies with 160's from a 7mag and 200's from a 300WM and could not tell a lot of difference between them and a .280 or a 30-06.

Well we finally agreed on something.  :-D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Savage .250

Re: overkill
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 01:46:17 AM »
Quote from: varmithunter06
do yall think the 7mm mag is an overkill own a deer?

If it blew them up on impact then i`d say that`s over-kill.
     A little more cal then i`d use for deer but fortunately for me i have
    others to choose from as do others i`m sure.
    As you said," do yall think?".........that makes it subjective so everbody
     is right.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
overkill
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 01:54:30 AM »
I've never though the Magnums of any kind were necessary for any game. It had occured to me tho that for large game, they were a bit better with heavier bullet's. I'm not so sure that's why people get them anymore tho. Seem's like everyone that likes magnums also likes shooting at extream ranges. Sadly the ability of these cartridges to deliver tremendious power at normal ranges has been over shadowed by their ability to deliver normal power at tremendious ranges.

So we see many people who are more than willing to lob bullet's at game animals with low percentage extended range shots that always have good reasons for why they do it. Elsewhere in this site, one guy braggs that he'll take the shot at 600 yds then a few posts later tells of an elk he wounded and had to track for a day and a half. Only an indian can do that!

One of the interesting things is that he doesn't tell us at what range he wounded the elk! Yet he's a rare bird as usually people that do this ugly thing they like to call "long range hunting", never ever tell you of their flubbed shots and then only if they recover the animal.

They speak of great custom bullet's of great ballistic coefficent and sectional density and how they practice at these extended ranges. That makes shooting at game animals at extended ranges acceptable. They never concider that their target is no longer a piece af paper but a live animal they're hunting for sport! They talk about doing this thing "cleanly and humanely". Must be as they never miss place a bullet, they never pull a shot and they never miss judge the wind!

Success is generally judged by making a kill, humanely or otherwise. That means something dies, humanely or otherwise. Of course if the game is a grizzly that blind sides the hunter and eats him, the hunt is called unsuccessful. For who? Seems like the bear is eating!

At some point I really wish we'd all get back to condeming these "long range SHOOTERS". For shooters is all they really are, they just trade paper for hide. Quite a ways off topic I guess and I'm sorry but this is something that really really upsets me.

Yea, your 7mm Mag will kill a deer as dead as anything.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
overkill
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 04:12:10 AM »
Don Fischer, I don't know why you get so worked up about long range shooting of game and why you are so negative about magnum rifles.

I don't do any extremely long range shooting at game, I limit myself to 300 yards, but at that range I am extremely accurate. For my deer hunting I don't use a magnum rifle, but a standard round, but for bigger game I have the choice to move up to one of my magnum rifles. No matter what you use, shot placement is what counts.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline beemanbeme

overkill
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 07:18:39 AM »
When I fished a lot of bass tournies,  conventional wisdom was to rig for the largest bass you hoped to catch in the worst conditions you might encounter.  That's good advice for hunting.
When I travel to hunt, I don't take an arsenal.  If I am going to say Wyoming to hunt for elk, mulies and antelope, I will take a rifle for the largest and ammo to match.  A 7mag or a 300WM or a .338WM.  Thus, I have shot antelope with bullets weighing 160, 200 and 225 grs.  Meat damage?  Nada.  Bullet velocity?  2800-2900fps.  

Redhawk:   :D

Offline victorcharlie

overkill
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 11:53:38 AM »
I don't think Don's being negative, just relating personal experience..........I tried the magnum thing when I was younger......... and found out the same thing Don has found.......Magnums really arn't needed for most conditions.....If I felt I needed more power, I'd do 2 things......get closer, and go up in caliber.......Heavy Magnums, for me, are not fun or economical to shoot.......you like a magnum.....more power to ya!  (play on words, ya know?)  Each unto his own.....You like?  You buy!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline beemanbeme

overkill
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 12:21:28 PM »
"magnums aren't needed for MOST conditions".  Absolutely true but I personally would much rather someone be "overgunned" than some guy trying to be something he ain't by poppin' at deer with a varmint rifle.

Okay, all you .223 shooters, let the flaming begin.   :grin:

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
overkill
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
I don't think Don's being negative, just relating personal experience..........I tried the magnum thing when I was younger......... and found out the same thing Don has found.......Magnums really arn't needed for most conditions.....If I felt I needed more power, I'd do 2 things......get closer, and go up in caliber.......Heavy Magnums, for me, are not fun or economical to shoot.......you like a magnum.....more power to ya!  (play on words, ya know?)  Each unto his own.....You like?  You buy!

I was talking about being negative about magnums. Just because you or anyone else does not think they are not needed, does not make it so. These are just our opinions and what really matters is personal choice.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Don Fischer

overkill
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »
was talking about being negative about magnums. Just because you or anyone else does not think they are not needed, does not make it so. These are just our opinions and what really matters is personal choice

I'm not negative about magnum's, they're just a cartridge. What I'm negative about is the way some people use and/or suggest using them. I'm negative about those that condone the things being done with them.I don't understand how few seem to care the ranges these people think their good for. I'm amazed that so many people can't understand the difference between a paper target and a game animal. There's another guy on this site saying they shoot whitetails to 1400 yds in Penn and yet another building a 2500 yds rifle. I don't think that many of you have any limit on the range that you find unethical for shootinh at LIVE GAME ANIMALS!

I appreciate the guy's that can shoot at ranges we can't comprehend but they can just as easy shoot at paper, the only thing wounded that way is the shooters pride. I find it hard to believe that someone can bragg of being compent to shoot at 600 yds, advise others that his chioce is good to 600 yds then tell of the animal he wounded and took a day and a half to track down and somebody congradulates him for doing it. How does a guy competent to shoot at 600 yds wound an animal that way. How far was that shot?

I find that the ethics of sport hunting are steadily being put on the back burner so that some people can stroke a huge ego. No, I'm not negative about magnums, I just don't shoot them anymore. I'm also not negative of long range shooters, they are in a class of their own and should be admired. But when we talk of "SPORT" hunting, I think we need to be real aware of the immage we present. Lot's of things are possible many of them shouldn't be done! We are shooting at and killing or sometimes wounding living game animals for SPORT!!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
overkill
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 07:19:06 PM »
Here..read for yourselves what was said..and who said it..

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=83913&start=35

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
overkill
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 01:33:04 AM »
Don Fischer, I hear what you are saying. I keep my shooting to 300 yards on game, I don't try to push the envelope either. I believe in always having enough gun to get the job done. I never try to see how small of a round I can use. But in the same token, there are those that are exceptional shots and extremely long distance shooters, (NOT A LOT OF THEM).
Some guys I talk too, don't believe I shoot golf balls at 200 yards with a contender 223 pistol. I always get, I can't even see a golf ball at 200 yards. But from a bench and with a good scope it is very doable.  Do I agree with extremely long shots on game, "No" but there are some guys that can do it and do it well.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Don Fischer

overkill
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 02:57:31 AM »
I can't see a golf ball at 200 yds either. In younger years, I used to shoot at sugar cube's a 100 yds.

Golf balls and sugar cube's don't bleed!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
overkill
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 05:23:11 AM »
Funny..targets don't bleed...your right of course..and I'll wager the deer taste just as good killed at 400 yards with a 7MM mag as they do if shot at 100 yards with a 30-30.. :)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline victorcharlie

overkill
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 07:22:09 AM »
Quote from: Don Fischer
I can't see a golf ball at 200 yds either. In younger years, I used to shoot at sugar cube's a 100 yds.

Golf balls and sugar cube's don't bleed!

Yep........funny how age changes things isn't it?  I remember shooting the fine hairs off a frog at 100 yards too! :eek:  :lol:
Barry Goldwater

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
overkill
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 08:00:09 AM »
I dont know about you guys, but I hunt in some pretty wide open Texas Hill country, and I very rarely see a deer further than 200- 250 yds away. I think my all time longest shot was a little over 250 and that was more than 10 yrs ago. I was a kid then. (still am mentally but that's another story :) ) Dropped a spike with 243 with 100 grain rem. corelokts. You guys have me prepared to sign autographs because according to these much contested, much debated threads, you have to be some kinda super shot to drop a deer with anything less than a 30 cal. PLLLLLEASE.... Let alone with anything other than the so-called premium bullets. Let alone at that range... hmmmm  According to some of these guys I need to be shooting a 30 mm magnum cannon with explosive ordinance to put down anything larger than a varmant.

Guys, I'm nothing special. I dont even get to spend much time in the woods.

If you're afraid that you're gun's too small to take a deer, then get a bigger one.  Erroneous shots be danged, bigger ordinance will only gain so much room for error. There is a point of diminishing returns. Shoot a deer in the butt with a super-duper powerful special magnum and you still have a wounded deer that you have to trail.

KNOW YOUR WEAPON. THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE AND SHOT PLACEMENT IS EVERYTHING.

The bigger gun does not make the long range hunter.I guaratee you my father can drop anything out to 400 yds with his old .308. I've watched him do it. (again with 150 gr Rem. Corelokts, that's right no premium ultra mag super-duper special bullets here)

Magnums do nothing but shoot flatter and kick harder.

If you're asking questions like "is a 7mm mag overkill" then you probably dont have enough hunting experience to be messing with long range shots to begin with. (It's a generalization, but a fairly accurate one) Start with the basics.
Hunting and shooting skills are alot like a wonderful wife, you can't buy success. They take time, energy, and patients.

It is all in the eyes of the shooter. If you feel you need more gun, then more power to you, but don't knock the folks who are confident in their abilities to take game with "lesser" calibers.

Is there such a thing as overkill, no not when it comes to sporting rifles(military ordinance is another matter).  Each caliber has its uses and abuses. I think the magnums are probably way over rated as I have no need for the extra 50-100 yds of point blank range that they provide.

You want to use a 7mag or anyother mag, then go for it, but dont come down on us who use .308s and less and produce just as much(and in some cases more) venison than the big boomers do or ever will. It's been my experience that the magnum buyers are the same people who buy all the gimmic gadgets and pay for a day lease rather than the traditional hunter who takes the time to practice and hone his skills. As if the magnums do anything special to make them a better hunter.

This is alot more than just my 2 cents worth, but come on guys these discussions do little more than confuse people new to our way of life.
-Davoh

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
overkill
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 10:35:07 AM »
varmithunter06,
Your post leavs lots of unanswered questions.  Are you asking because this is what you have on hand and are wondering if you can use it without splattering deer all over your area? Yes, use a heavily constructed bullett or limited expansion.  Bullet composition is more important to meat loss than caliber (within reason.)

Or, are you asking because you are considering purchasing the rifle for the express purpose of deer hunting?  If that is the case, there are many other more appropriate calibers.  25-06 comes to mind, but I'm biased.  :grin:

Good luck, and Good hunting,

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline JD338

• Avid Poster
overkill
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »
There is no such thing as overkill. Shot placement is more important than the caliber you are shooting.
As long as you are comforable with the rifle and can shoot consistant accuracy, go for it.
Just make sure you are using the correct bullet for the game. If you are hunting close range, you might want to consider a premium bullet, bonded or partition to keep the bullet together.

Regards,

JD338

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
overkill
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
Yes, the 7mm is too much for deer...It kills them dead!  Seriously, if you like it and shoot it well, more caliber does nothing except stack the odds in your favor, and kill cleanly.

Offline wijim

• Contributor
overkill
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 05:56:51 AM »
no its not too much for deer.  i use one every year.  i dont ruin a ton of meat.  bullet selection is the key to it as with any animal.  i have reasonable entry and exit wounds every single time.  i have shot doe fawns and not had excess meat damage.  i have shot 200# bucks and it put em right down.  its all in matching bullets to the game.

Offline NONYA

overkill
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 07:44:24 AM »
I have shot between 2 and 7 deer with my 7 mag for the last 12 years,ranges from 30 yards to 600,every one of them died,didnt loose 1,dead is dead. :roll:
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline wijim

• Contributor
overkill
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 08:18:40 AM »
i selected the caliber of 7mm rem mag because its a dang good all around caliber.  it will kill pretty much any north american game, it shoots flat way out far, has a ton of ammo varieties available and as has been noted...kills things dead.

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
overkill
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 05:19:35 AM »
...and it is also an overkill on my shoulder.