Author Topic: Getting started......  (Read 421 times)

Offline 45Spades

• Trade Count: (0)
Getting started......
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:23:10 AM »
I'm thinking of getting into casting.  I'm planning on ordering Veral Smith's book as soon as possible.  I guess my first question is where do I start gathering information?  What are some of the things I need to consider upfront that a beginner often overlooks?

What is the primary benefit by casting your own?  Is it better quality? Is it cheaper bullets?  Or is it the same satisfaction that comes with reloading your own?

Thanks in advance for the help.
First figure out what it is and what it ain't and thats generally a good place to start.

Offline ron haralson

Getting started......
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:49:31 AM »
You need one of the reloading manuals that lists cast bullet loads - Lyman's is a very common one. It also has casting instructions. If you can find one, get Lyman's old cast bullet manual (late 1950's or early '60s). Also join the Cast Bullet Association.

With respect to your other question, if you reload the traditional cast bullet loads( the low velocity ones with fast powder) you can reload most rifles for about half the cost of jacketted reloads or a quarter the cost of factory ammunition. These can be made to shoot very nearly as well as  jacketted ammunition with far less noise and recoil. Your rifle barrel will last until you and your grandchildren are sick and tired of it, and you can  use one rifle for a lot of things.

If you are dealing with a 30 - 30, there is little benefit to jacketted bullets, you can very close to equal factory velocities with cast. If you are dealing with 45 - 70, 38 - 55 kind of cartidges, you can do anything they can do with cast. I suspect that you could do good things with a 458 and cast, although I haven't tried it and don't plan to.

The quality of bullets you cast is limitted only by the care and attention you put into it. My normal run of .30 cal bullets is held to +/_ 0.2 gr. with the vast majority +/_ 0.1gr. At that quality I easily cast more than 100 bullets an hour.

I encourage you to get Veral Smith's book, it gives a much needed more modern view of what can be done with cast bullets at higher velocities, and a very good dissertation on bullet design.

And yes, it is enjoyable like handloading jacketted loads, but more challenging and you are rewarded by achieving a great deal more of the potential of your rifle.

Hope this helps, and you get a lot of enjoyment out of your foray into bullet casting.

Ron

Offline Dusty Miller

Getting started......
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »
That's really good information but also be sure you adhere STRICTLY to the safety guidlines you'll find regarding casting with lead.  That stuff get to about 700 deg. F and BOY does it smart when it hits your skin!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!