Author Topic: lee mold  (Read 747 times)

Offline lisa1lacy2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
lee mold
« on: February 28, 2006, 03:09:25 AM »
I am having trouble with a lee mold that I just bought it is a 158gr rf mold I have casted about 1000 bullets with it with no problems and now it wount cast a bullet with out wrinkels and the mold is up to temp is it a venting problem any tips
Brian Milner

:blaster:
my idea of gun control is a firm grip.

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
lee mold
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:28:37 AM »
The first thing I would do is clean it really good.  If I get any kind of oil in my Lee molds they are harder to get working again, than any of my other molds.  This makes it hard because you have to lubricate Lee molds to keep them from wearing out.

Another thing I have noticed about Lee molds is that they like it hot.  I turn my pot all the way up and don't have any trouble, except that I have to wait longer for the bullet to harden so I can cut the spru.  I usually just cast with two molds and let one cool while I fill the other.

Another Question.
A friend of mine got a 6 banger mold from Lee in the 158 gr RNFP design.  It had a longer skinney nose.  He then got a second one so he could cast with two molds at the same time.  It had a shorter, fatter nose, but was the same bullet number.  I got one (same number) because both of those bullets worked great in my gun and When mine came it had the shorter fatter nose and a bevel base also.  

Mine didn't shoot worth a darn in my gun and I wrote to Lee and complained.  They said, send in the mold.  I did and when I got it back the bevel was gone.  They ground it off.  The bullets weigh 150 gr now, so I lost 8 gr of bullet.  It now shoots great though so I didn't complain too loud.  

What is your mold like?  Any of the above or different still.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline lisa1lacy2

• Avid Poster
lee mold
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:57:28 AM »
mine has a beval to it is a two cav
what do you clean your molds with :D
Brian Milner

Offline Forest T

lee moulds
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »
Lisa1Lacy2 I have a bunch of 6 cavity moulds one of which is the rnfp 158 gr mould try this the next time you cast clean your mould with carb cleaner I use the cheap kind you can get at wal-marts the the mould dry real good then put a very light coat of drop out on your mould and to lube your mould get it hot and just tuch the pins with a pice of bees wax don't let it drip in the cavitys and before you start to cast dip the corner of the mould in the lead to get the mould up to temp and that should take care of your problem of wrinkled bullets hope this helps  :D Forest T  x member

Offline lisa1lacy2

• Avid Poster
lee mold
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 02:11:06 AM »
thanks guys
Brian Milner