Author Topic: buttstock mono pod idea  (Read 666 times)

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
buttstock mono pod idea
« on: February 28, 2006, 03:20:06 PM »
OK i just got the Suvivor stock that i have no intention of selling for the Choate Varmint, but i thought i could fashion my own buttstock monopod by using either the stock's compartment screw or 3"x1/2" bolt that would be threaded through the underside of the stock. by drilling and tapping the stock if thats possible with plastic, otherwise i would drill a hold in the stock and glue a couple stacked nuts with industrial rated adhesive. lemme know what y'all think if ya make sense of it.

anyone tried anything.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
buttstock mono pod idea
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »
Rather than stacking nuts, go to Lowes or Home Deopt and get a threaded insert of some sort or another.  Either that or what is called a rod coupling. Its bascialy just a long nut that you could epoxy in place. Threaded inserts are in the specialty hardware section at either store.

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
buttstock mono pod idea
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 02:54:38 AM »
lostsniper,
  Are you talking about putting something like a leveling foot onto the rear of your stock for bench shooting?

If that is the case, cpj's suggestions about the threaded insert would be a great idea.  The plastic on the Survivor is a bit thin for tapping.

What do you plan to use to support the front when shooting?  Sand bags, sticks, bi-pod...?

Just curious because I have also thought about using a leveling foot for a rear support

Thanks,
RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
buttstock mono pod idea
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:15:52 PM »
This is what I was talking about:

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/NUTBTI.cfm

You could put a piece of wood inside the stock to give the insert something to grab on to.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
buttstock mono pod idea
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:03:50 AM »
wrangler i intend to use all three forms of frontal rests. i got a 24x scope so a rear monopod it ideal to be able to actually use the 24x setting. I like to mess around with my rifles.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now