Author Topic: Where to shoot cannons that are not to origional spec.?  (Read 988 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Where to shoot cannons that are not to origional spec.?
« on: March 01, 2006, 02:08:10 AM »
This may seem like a stupid question but the thought just hit me. Are there mortar shoots or competitions in the Virginia area that one can shoot a mortar or cannon where the mortar does not have to qualify under N-SSA standards? I just assumed all cannons have to pass some kind of N-SSA standards at every shoot I read about across the country,but are there shoots/competitions where people can shoot their non to scale, smaller than origional cannons like bowling ball mortars or 1/2 scale cannons or cannons that are not to exact origional specs, etc ,etc?? If so what is the distinction between the two types of competitions?

Scott

Offline Artilleryman

Where to shoot cannons that are not to orig
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 02:49:09 AM »
With N-SSA competition you have a set of rules and procedures that require full scale cannons and mortars along with safety requirements dealing with bore liners, vents, and condition of the tube unless grandfathered in under previous rules.  Also rules on the type and amount of powder used, packaging and storage of powder, the number of charges, and so on.

There are no rules and procedures by a governing body that cover subscale guns and mortars, bowling ball mortars, and the like that I am aware of.  So if there is enough interest and a range or ranges available this is your chance to start a new organization that has rules and procedures for that type of competition.  In an organization such as this you could make all sizes and types of artillery open for competition as long as the pieces met certain specifications for safety.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 03:13:30 AM »
Scott,

There are several organizations you can contact. Look on the cannon resource list at the top of the board.

The one that is active in  your area is The American Artillery Association AAA have the same  or very similiar safety rules but they  don't require exact reproductions.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:06:50 AM »
Scott DD is right there is nothing posted in their rules and procedures about having guns that meet orginal dimensions.  I believe all of their matches are held in New York/New England area.   You had asked about Virginia.  It is interesting that some of the photos on their website are from the N-SSA national range.

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:41:33 AM »
We do not turn anyone away from our competitions so long as their artillery meets our safety standards and participants adhere to our safety procedures.

From the sounds of the web page they accept all types and sizes of artillery as long as they are safe.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »
Anybody a member of the American Artillery Association?  Has anyone been to one of their shoots?

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 02:02:24 AM »
I'm not a member yet but I hope to get to at least one of their shoots this summer.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Hey
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »
hey i am also in va. in newport news. and this summer if you are interested in traveling together i have  a3/4 scale parrot that i want to shoot  at some of those comps. up north.   let me know i really want to go.

we can man eachothers crews too.

rick Bryan
      N-SSA  3rd Va. cal.

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »
Was  a member of AAA over 8 years ago  . Nicer people you won't find anywhere .
They do permit any scale cannon or mortar ,if they can pass the safety inspection { post on there site} . Learned alot  because you can shoot as much as you want  and compete as much as you want . There is also  usally extra hands  around to help you shoot , as many a time I traveled alone with my  12pdr.