Author Topic: Time to apply for tags for out west.  (Read 858 times)

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Time to apply for tags for out west.
« on: March 01, 2006, 08:30:28 AM »
Anyone else in the dilemma of scheduling hunts based on limited time, money and good graces of the family.  I have my wife's bessing on a antelope hunt to WY because my 12 yr. old daughter wants to go too. That application has to be in by Mar. 15 but there is no guarantee on drawing.  Then there is the Muzzleloader hunt to CO that has to be in by April.  Chances are good if I apply for a cow 1st choice but probably about 50% as I'll  apply for a bull first  choice and a cow 2nd.  I hunted last year for deer and elk in Mont. but failed to draw an antelope in WY.  Montana was my only out of state hunt for 2005.    I miss CO elk and WY antelope.  I won't have time to hunt all three states  even if I accidentally drew them so I've limited myself to two hunts.  With my luck I may not draw anything.   Then I'll be grouchy with the family and the small bucks and does, that I normally pass on, will go in the freezer.  Anyone else have this problem?
james

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
I put in for an either sex elk tag for the first elk only season here in Co then a late season cow hunt.  We have a Sept (rifle)Wilderness buck hunt  may try that, will bring horses for that one if drawn.  Have enough points for a antelope hunt just pulled up draws for Moose still afew years away for that.  Between the two elk and buck hunt will have about 3wks of hunting and that will do me for the year.  I'm trying to talk my wife into the buck in Sept be a nice hunt before winter weather.  Well good luck to all.

Offline james

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »
Roper,
I used up my deer points on those high mtn mulie hunts twice but passed up on all the bucks I saw.  Went to the Frying pan Wilderness once and the Holy cross once.  I came to the conclusion most of the deer are at a lower elevation.   My brother did shoot a good buck near Hagerman pass, west of Leadville.  I did find some good bull elk so the next year I chased them for a few days but could never connect.  We hiked in and put up a spike camp during muzzleloader season.  Luckily we ran out of food before I downed and elk or we would still be packing it out. The air gets a little thin for us flat landers, even when we're in shape.  Good luck to you and let us know how your hunt goes.
james

Offline james

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »
deleted duplicate post

Offline james

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 10:28:59 AM »
Roper,
I used up my deer points on those high mtn mulie hunts twice but passed up on all the bucks I saw.  Went to the Fryingpan Wilderness once and the Holy Cross once.  I came to the conclusion most of the deer are at a lower elevation.   My brother did shoot a good buck near Hagerman pass, west of Leadville.  I found some good bull elk while deer hunting so the next year I chased them for a few days but could never get a shot at the "big one".  We hiked in and put up a spike camp during muzzleloader season.  Luckily we ran out of food before I downed an elk or we would still be packing it out. The air gets a little thin for us flat landers, even when we're in shape.  Good luck to you and let us know how your hunt goes.
james

Offline tinhunter

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »
For CO I put in for an either sex elk hunt 1st seson as my 1st choice, cow tag second season as 2nd, and if I don't draw those I'll get a bull tag for the second season.

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 04:38:25 AM »
Anyone take notice that Colorado raised the license fees by about 50% for this year, and unless they have put Sheep and Goats in a separate catalog, they don't seem to be huntable now.  I'll have to check with the D.O.W. on that one, but they are not listed in the general big game brochure. :(

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »
James, I hunted the Holy Cross twice first time miss a monster, hunter got him over in the next drainage and he went book last time was about 8 yrs ago never seen a buck but had elk in camp every day.  I've been playing tag with this buck for the last couple years so figure I just need a change of country.  I haven't decided if I'll try the Holy Cross or Hunter-Fryingpan either way I have plenty of time now to ride and spend  time scouting.  I have some friends that scouted off Independence Pass in the Hunter-Fryingpan last year and they seen some pretty good bucks and they were up there in the first Combo but couldn't get close enough for a shot.  
When I hunted the Holy Cross the last time I went in from Basalt side think I should of gone in from Leadville.  It's all a gamble anymore.  Well good luck.

Offline BeanMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 05:03:40 PM »
Gwindrider

Sheep and goats are in a seperate brochure.  Resident fees increased about 60% while NR went down a few bucks.  I don't think that the resident fee increase is a bad thing.  I'll hunt elk for $49 and think that is a bargain.  A whole week  for less than the price of a one day ski ticket.

Beanman

Offline NONYA

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 05:21:04 PM »
Bought my general tags yesterday,cost me $85 for fishing,bear,dear,elk upland game bird and enhancment fee.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline james

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 04:51:53 AM »
I can't complain too much about the license fees, as my combo deer, elk, fishing and small game in Mont. was about $650 and the gas for the trip was about $400.  I will complain about the gas prices.
james