Author Topic: Newbie Here, got a question or two???  (Read 507 times)

Offline sumoj275

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie Here, got a question or two???
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:37:46 PM »
I bought my first H & R Ultara Varmint the other day.  I really like the rifle so far and I can not wait to get to the range.

My question is, when I put a round in the chamber there is resistence, I assume from the extractor/ejector.  Is this normal?  Next question, when I break open the action the shell is pulled out enough from the chamber so that I can take it out with my fingers, is that the way it is supposed to be or is it supposed to eject out of the chamber?

Thanks and I have enjoyed reading this board so far.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:54:14 PM »
Welcome to GBO!! :D Extractors are standard on new H&R/NEF firearms, it will just lift the case out of the chamber about ΒΌ", old style ejectors on the other hand, will toss the case over your shoulder and into the next county!! The extractor will capture the round as it is chambered and will fully chamber as the action is closed.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sumoj275

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
Thank you for the info, I like the idea of extraction better because I will be reloading for this rifle and would hate to run the brass down.  I guess the reason I was confused was becasue as a kid I had a .410 shotgun and I remembered it throwing the shells out.
Thanks again

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:38:26 PM »
sumoj275,
Welcome aboard.  The shotguns still have ejectors.  Hopefully, that will never change.  Even with my limited experience, as compared to some others here, catching the brass never seemed to be that big of a deal.  However, there have been requests by many to have extractors, sometimes the factory actually listens and makes some worthwhile changes.  Glad to hear you are pleased with your new Handi.  Now put that "Honey Do" list aside and get to the range.LOL

Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:13:24 AM »
sumoj275

First off , Welcome to the crazy world of handi's , make sure you check out the FAQs at the top of the centerfire forum , tons of useful info there .

Pay close attention to the chamber polishing and barrel break-in stuff , it will save a lot of range time getting the rifle zeroed in .

By the way what cal. is it . Someone will have info that will give you a head start as far as what ammo to try .  :D
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:22:32 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Stimply has given some good advise, be sure to check out those FAQ's and Stickies.  :D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 02:20:10 PM »
what everyone else said and welcome to GBO  :D

John

Offline sumoj275

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I got the rifle in .223 Remington, figured since I have a Remington bolt in .308 and a Commercial Mauser in .22-250 I needed something different LOL.

Thanks again