Author Topic: Finally some decent reload groups with the NEF Ultra 223  (Read 270 times)

Offline stiff neck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Finally some decent reload groups with the NEF Ultra 223
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:57:12 PM »
I finally found a "decent" load for my NEF Ultra 223.  It refuses to shoot 40gr V-max bullets less than 1.5" and 40gr NBTs hover around an inch.  I'm using H335 and IMR 4198, Win brass, Fed Gold Medal Match primers, COL 2.245".  So I tried some Speer 52gr Varmint HP (not Match HP) and it's looking much better.  Last outing I saw the potential.  Today I got a few decent groups with different powder weights both 25.0gr and 25.5gr of H335.  That's about 3000fps.  I really wish it would shoot the lighter faster bullets...  

I still have a heck of a time shooting 5-shot groups because this darn NEF has such a "challenging" trigger and lock time issues.  I can actually see the hammer creep forward as I increase pressure on the trigger until it breaks.  Sometimes the trigger feels like 3-4 lbs and crisp, while other shots it feels like 20 lbs and creepy like it's NEVER going to break.  The factory did a trigger job on it, but it still sucks.  I am able to call the fliers most of the time, there always seems to be one.  

Anyways, the best 4 of 5 are satisfactory for this rifle.  I don't think it'll do much better than that for 5-shot groups.  I will play around with the C.O.L. anyways to see if I can shrink things down to around 1/2".  Then this rifle is headed to the back of the safe to be used as a loaner rifle.  It's just too picky about how you have to pull the trigger, lay the stock on the rest, and it won't shoot the light varmint bullets that I like.  I may even sell the durn thing.  I definately won't buy any more NEFs.  

Wide 3-o'clock called flier

Low 5-o'clock called flier