Author Topic: My first trigger job a success!  (Read 604 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
My first trigger job a success!
« on: March 03, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »
I took my 12 gauge Pardner trigger assembly apart tonight.  I carefully followed the faq sticky instructions.  I'm pleasantly surprised how easy it was to do this using the instructions.  I had the trigger assembly in and out of the gun at least twenty times.  I got really good at it and feel confident about it now.  I got the trigger pull down to four pounds (plenty good for a shotgun) in my opinion.  I can always take it down lower later if I want too. There was a soft grinding in the trigger feel before I started that is gone also.

Anyway, I know how to do this now and feel really good about it.

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 06:41:33 PM »
Thats great, it always feels good when you've done something new and had it turn out well.

Offline raynor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:21:10 AM »
Good to here everything went well, they are pretty simple to work on.  Just curious, what was the pull weight to begin with ??

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 05:59:11 AM »
Quote from: raynor
Good to here everything went well, they are pretty simple to work on.  Just curious, what was the pull weight to begin with ??

Almost 8 pounds!  This seems high to me.  I know my trigger scale is dead nuts on.  My 243 handi came from the factory with a 5 pound pull as I measured it.  I had them do the trigger job.  I requested a 3 pound pull.  When it came back from the factory it measured 3 pounds exactly according to my scale.  Pretty much says my scale is okay.

My curiousity got too me this morning after realizing I've never measured my 20 gauge NEF!  I got the old girl out and it measures exactly 3 pounds.  It is quite a bit older than my 12 gauge.  Maybe a pre-attorney trigger?

Now I'm back at it again.  It took me less than 5 minutes to get my 12 gauge trigger assembly diassembled.  I could almost do this in my sleep at this point.  I won't rest now until my 12 gauge trigger feels the same as my 243 and my 20 gauge.

These things are addicting as heck.  To quote Mc Manus; "It's a fine and pleasant misery!".

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 06:26:01 AM »
ML McPherson recommends a non-invasive trigger procedure that is pretty much an expedited wear-in that accomplishes years of use in a few hammer falls, it's been discussed on the forum before. This procedure works on some, others it doesn't, just depends on the trigger mating surfaces. He calls it marrying the trigger parts, it's done by applying about 20lbs forward pressure(more can break something!) on the cocked hammer while squeezing the trigger, repeat about 10 times. Block or hold the hammer from striking the transfer bar/firing pin to prevent damage to those parts, or use a spent case in the chamber.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
Thanks Tim.    :grin:

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 03:34:04 PM »
I just finished up fine tuning to a 3 pound pull.  It sure is important to keep the metal square as you work with it.  It's easy to tell when the metal is out of square.  One time the trigger pull will measure say 3 1/2 pounds.  The next time you cock the hammer and use the trigger gauge the pull measures 3 1/4 pounds and so on.  When the metal work is square the pull will read exactly the same each and every time.

I have it at 3 pounds and it is smooth as silk.  It has been quite a learning experience.  I almost want to buy another handi just so I can do another trigger job.    :grin: