Author Topic: How long have you had your gun cabinet?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Danegeld

• Trade Count: (0)
How long have you had your gun cabinet?
« on: March 05, 2006, 04:09:13 AM »
How long have you had your gun cabinet?  Here is one (Sears & Roebuck) I had as a boy.  It's had the glass replaced and the locks removed because of accidents/lost keys over the past 35 years, but it's still going strong?  What about yours?  

Please excuse the angle of the pics.  I couldn't get them to stay rotated correctly :(

Take Care
Ben

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 04:19:26 AM »
I prefer a safe that's bolted right to the wall studs for the added safety and security.  Don't remember how long I've had my current one. Fifteen years at least.  It's one of those stack on models with a tall cabinet on the bottom and a smaller one on top.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 02:06:59 AM »
I had a very nice custom made 16 gun cabinet with etched glasses and felt lined.......it was a pretty one.......offered no security at all and was holding my guns during the burgulary that near cleaned me out 15 years ago.

I now have a 1200lb Heritage gun safe sitting in the den.  It's not necessaryly bugular proof, but I doubt any teenager needing gas or drug money will get into it......

I really liked the cabinet don't get me wrong......I thought about ways to secure it but decided to go with a safe.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 02:25:18 AM »
I couldn`t agree more to the having a metal heavy gun safe, bolted to the floor, and I might add, put in a hidden room. Out of sight, out of mind. It doesn`t take much to add a hidden room in a corner of the closet or bedroom or any-room.

It use to be wonderful to display you weapons, in a glass gun cabinet--for your friends to see and display your favorite hunting rifles, but times have changed, and now with all the breakends, its better to have them in a heavy gun safe.

People that live in the country like I do, or not immune to crime anymore.

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 02:52:35 AM »
I have a Cannon 28 gun safe.  It's ugly as heck and takes up too much space. I like those attractive wooden display cases, and wish I could use one but can't risk letting someone go shopping in my bedroom when I'm not home.  It's bad enough that I leave the 12ga coach gun out all the time for home defense.  I figure it'll get stolen one day along with the stereo, computer, TV, and microwave.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 02:59:56 AM »
Quote from: bullet maker

It use to be wonderful to display you weapons, in a glass gun cabinet--for your friends to see and display your favorite hunting rifles, but times have changed, and now with all the breakends, its better to have them in a heavy gun safe.

Very sad and very true.  I'm proud of my gun collection and would like to be comfortable displaying it.  However, as Bullet Maker noted times have changed. We country folk even have to lock our doors when we go out now.  The other important factor in my instance is my six year old daughter.  More so her friends really because I've taught her never to handle the guns without my supervision.  If you ever have kids in your home it's something to consider.  By the way, a little  demonstration of what a tiny .22lr fired from a revolver can do to a sealed, water filled plastic 2ltr bottle makes a lasting impression on a youngster.

Offline magooch

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 03:15:39 AM »
The only reason I can think of to have a guncase, would be to have some sacrificial decoy guns in it.  Burlars might take what's on display, thinking they got the mother-load.
Swingem

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 06:02:14 AM »
Quote from: magooch
The only reason I can think of to have a guncase, would be to have some sacrificial decoy guns in it.  Burlars might take what's on display, thinking they got the mother-load.

Hey, not a bad idea actually.  Besides why should that .243 that shoots groups that look like a shotgun spread, the rusty ol' .22 you picked up at a flea market for squirrel control or that 8mm French Lebel that you got such a 'deal' on at the gun show but can't find ammo for take up valuable space in the safe with the good guns.   :wink:

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 06:45:18 AM »
Quote from: bullet maker

Sad ain't it, very sad.  Just last year we started locking the doors at night and when not at home.  Too many folks moving in around here.  I can actually see another house from our mailbox now.   They finished building it about 6 months ago. :)

Ben

Offline Brett

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 07:29:07 AM »
Quote from: Danegeld

Too many folks moving in around here.  I can actually see another house from our mailbox now.   They finished building it about 6 months ago. :)

Ben

That's how it all begins then before you know what happened there's 150 tract homes in what used to be the wheat field across the road.  :eek:  Just up the road from me I noticed they have surveyor's stakes out and have dug holes for perk test all over a couple of large soy bean fields. Like it or not looks like I'll be getting some new neighbors.  Hope they are not a bunch of city folk that will want to put a stop to my backyard plinking.  :cry:

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 07:46:36 AM »
Quote from: Brett
That's how it all begins then before you know what happened there's 150 tract homes in what used to be the wheat field across the road.  :eek:  Just up the road from me I noticed they have surveyor's stakes out and have dug holes for perk test all over a couple of large soy bean fields. Like it or not looks like I'll be getting some new neighbors.  Hope they are not a bunch of city folk that will want to put a stop to my backyard plinking.  :cry:

I shoot around the house with shotgun or .22 as we've got a RR address.  But I don't do it with the high-power stuff as it's calving season and our neighbor has his cattle down from the hills for the winter.

This is looking off my back porch facing east.  We've got 67 acres, some pretty good grouse hunting too :)

Ben

Offline srwshooter

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
i sold my 12gun cabinet on jan 2 1997 the day after they stole 11 guns out of it . 2 weeks later i bought my first 28gun american security safe i now have 2 of them.

something most don't know is that a safe can be a tax rightoff if you store your tax papers in it...........so everyone should go buy one today.

Offline magooch

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 03:08:36 AM »
Someone should invent a tiny locator chip that could be imbedded somewhere on a gun so that if it goes missing, you could trace it down and maybe catch the sumbitch that took off with it.
Swingem

Offline Brett

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 06:02:55 AM »
They already implant ID chips in dogs, cats and horses so that they can be traced to their rightful owners I don't see why it couldn't be done with firearms.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 06:53:56 AM »
I`ve got the old original gun cabinet it`s called a closet with bi-folding doors.
    One of those nice and heavy metal ones would be nice but for now the
    the one i`ve had for years will do. As far as safety is concerned my
    "gun-safe" is under the watchful eyes of my 2 German Shepherds who
   sleep (with one eye open) right in front of the closet.  
    AS far as a gun-chip goes i would think that is  very do-able.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »
yeah well as soon as i get ID chips on my guns it won't be long until Big Brother requires it on all firearms and they know where they are at all times.

let's not give them any ideas.  :)

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 05:58:20 PM »
Have a hidden room over my garage.  The entrance is hidden in a closet, and  so far two burglers have not found it.  Inside this room are three Americian Securities vaults.  One for the kid, one for the wife, and one for me.  All three are bolted to the floor and to the walls.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 03:57:13 PM »
nobody mentioned an alarm system.
i have 52 guns displayed plus three 50 gun safes - i don't trust them alone.
i have a sophisticated (hope i spelled that right) alarm system and a not too lazy dog.
more importantly i have very nosy neighbors when there is anything strange going on.
i feel pretty safe - can't shoot out my back door here but don't have to go too far to a lot of open space and good ranges.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber