Author Topic: What was your first  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
What was your first
« on: March 05, 2006, 06:06:58 AM »
:excuseme: Can anyone remeber thier first carry gun and what was it?? Looking back from now do you still have it in your collection or still use it now??  :?:   Here you are later in life what is your carry gun of choice today and how does it differ from your first one?  :biggun:  I know for me this is how I started collecting guns trying to find a good range, carry, home defense gun, but the truth is they are all different. I wish that they was a forum like this many years ago. I like to hear your feed back and see the different firearms we all used :bye: [/b]

Offline briarpatch

What was your first
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 06:23:07 AM »
The first carry gun was a jennings 380. I dont carry this gun any more but I still have it. I now carry an S40 steyr in a Texas heritage IWB. I find this holster very comfortable and I really like the S40. One gun I have that gets the nod a lot of late  is the kel-tec 3at. Light, easy to carry and has the thump if needed.  (I do hope that paper is the only thing I ever have to shoot at)

Offline rockbilly

What was your first
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 06:38:16 AM »
:D At the time it wasn't legal, but my first carry gun was a Browning 9mm Hi Power.  I later switched to a Colt 1911 which kept me comfortable on the streets or during travel for a bunch of years.  There have been many other since then, but the Browning and Colt are still in the safe.

Today it is a Sig 220 .45 or a Sig 229 .357 Sig.  unles dress or situation dictates something smaller. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline Savage

What was your first
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 11:27:14 AM »
The first one was a .25 Maxium auto, but I bought a .38 Derringer at the same time. I carried one or the other for quite a while before I learned better. That was 30+ years ago. Currently, I alternate between two P-3ATs, a Glock 36, Officers size 1911, and a Kimber Pro Carry. I have a couple dozen other pistols, and carry one of those from time to time, but the above five are my usual carry guns.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Savage

What was your first
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 11:29:07 AM »
Should have added: carried too many to recall over ther years including a half dozen revolvers between my first and current carry guns.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jimster

What was your first
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
First gun for carrying around was Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spl.
Also had a series 70 government model and series 70 Combat commander for having in the car/truck.
Still have both the .45 series 70 models.  Sold the Bulldog.
Carried a series 80 combat target for several years after those, from 1997 till 2004. I did sell the combat target model.
Springfield Mil-spec is the one most in use for carry now.
And for some reason, there is always a single action army with 4 3/4 inch barrel always around, in 45 colt caliber.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
What was your first
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 01:10:07 AM »
When I was real young "21" I bought one of the 25 ACP Jennings. I carried it for a long tome and then went to a S&W 38 Special. I now carried a Colt Defender 45 ACP and a NAA 22 Mag. My truck gun is a S&W Sigma 9 mm.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Ghostrider_23

My turn
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »
:-) I guess I should come clean and tell of my first gun which was a Taurus 40 cal. I don't know where I was planning on hiding that :? sense then I have carried many but now I have my NAA 22lr belt buckle gun, A kel tec 32 ACP in the back pocket and strapped to myside is my new Kahr PM 9 which is a GREAT gun in a JIT holster.

P.S. I did not like the recoil of the 40 cal. and the Taurus was to big of a gun to carry :toast:

I do enjoy carting around a Spring Field Micr Compact 45 ACP. :bye:

Offline Gregory

What was your first
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 03:35:48 PM »
My first handgun:

Hi Standard Sentinel Mark IV, 22 Mag 9 shot revolver with a 3" barrel.

Mine was blue and except for the finish looked like this one:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976695847.htm
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline PaulS

What was your first
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »
My first carry gun was the first revolver that I ever bought. A Ruger 357 Security-Six. I bought it in 1971 and I still carry it today. I have done some plinking - two years of Hunter's Pistol competition in which I tied the club record of 39/40 with a guy who was using a tricked out Burris scope on a TC Contender. After that my loads were determined to be taget damaging and i had to select a new loading in order to continue shooting. I was leaving the HP nose imprint on the targets at 25 and 50 meters with a Speer 146 gr SJHP. Since then I have done a lot of paper hunting, small game and varmint hunting with it. It shoots smaller groups now than when I was competing and the trigger has gotten a lot better over the years.

PaulS
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline NYH1

What was your first
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 07:37:32 AM »
Well when I first got my pistol permit it wasn't a carry permit. My first pistol was a six inch stainless Ruger Security Six 357 mag. my father gave me. I then bought a Ruger KP94DC in 40 S&W. In 1999 I sold the KP94DC and bought a Glock 22 (full size 4.5" barrel 40 S&W). I also bought and then sold a Beretta  92F 9mm, it was a nice pistol it just didn't fit me. In 2002 I got my permit up graded to a carry permit and started carrying my Glock 22. A month later I bought a Smith & Wesson Sigma 380 because it was small and easy to conceal. Later that year I bought a Glock 27 (sub compact 3.5" barrel 40 S&W) and that is my main carry gun now. I don't see that changing any time soon. So to answer your question my first carry pistol was my Glock 22 and in the colder months I still carry it! :grin:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
What was your first
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »
My first carry gun was a Charter Undercover .38.  Nice little gun.  I have gone through full size 1911's, compact 1911's, a Kel Tec P32, couple of Glocks.  Now most of the time I am back to a S&W Airweight .38 or a Charter Bulldog .44.  Ocassionally I will still carry a .45, especially if I am going somewhere questionable.  But for everyday convienence, smaller and (especially) lighter gets my vote.  Either of those two fit the bill.  I like the power of the .44 and the .38 will fit in my pocket if need be.  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
What was your first
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 05:20:23 PM »
S&W Model 10 4", it was also my duty gun(I couldn't afford anything else)

Offline fknipfer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
What was your first
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 11:29:25 AM »
I have never carried a weapon concealed on open.  It looks like Kansas is now going to pass a ccw law I may.  I quess my choice will be a Sig P230 9mm short (.380).  Its light, thin and reliable.
The European style of ccw is to carry a small weapon and empty it into the body of the perpetrator.  That way they just bleed out quickly with lots of rounds in them.
Just don't want to get sued.

fknipfer
Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran

Offline Danegeld

What was your first
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »
I'm kinda behind the power curve here.  Mine was a .45 ACP, Kimber TLE II just this past year.  I said to myself for 30 years that I would never need a handgun.  Well, situations and circumstances change.  Now my family is much better protected since I inherited a (Wheel-Horse) coin collection from my spinstress aunt...

Ben

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
What was your first
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
Taurus Model 85. My daughter has it now and I have an 85 Ultralite that I carry quite a bit. I carry different ones depending on my mood and where I am going. Mod. 85, Bersa .380, Kel-Tec P-11, Kel-Tec P3AT, Commander size SA 1911. Like them all.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
What was your first
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 02:52:04 PM »
My first carry gun was a Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4". I carried at the job because I worked at a grocery store in a bad part of town (the store's nickname was Dodge City :shock:  the other I worked at occasionally was nicknamed Tombstone). Found it was too heavy and so my decent into the maze of finding the perfect carry gun :) .

kjeff50cal
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline SUSQUASH

What was your first
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 03:30:57 PM »
My first off duty carry gun was a .357 Mag S&W Model 19 with a 4" barrel.  Shortly after that I purchased a .38 Special S&W Model 49 2" that I carried as a second duty gun and off duty for a number of years even after it was fully engraved.   After that I bought an AMT Back-Up in .380 which I carried until I retired from law enforcement two years ago.  I'm now back to carrying the fully engraved S&W Model 49 in a Galaco inside the pants holster (with the J-hook retainer).  This gun stays where it is supposed to, is comfortable to wear and I know I can count on it if I need it. Still have the original Model 19 but just too bulky to carry every day.
Take care and keep you powder dry.  :D

Offline Ghostrider_23

LOOK AT THIS
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 09:27:29 AM »
:devil2: Looks like a lot of wheel guns here and some low cost carry arms. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the famous GLOCK or more expensive name brands. It start to make you think does it :?: What else is surprising is the average round is 32, 380 and 38. Does anyone carry their bazookas with them? :biggun: I like small and light and knowing how to shot  :sniper: Keep them coming guys and look back from time to time. I like this thread :bye:

Offline NYH1

Re: LOOK AT THIS
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 11:24:17 AM »
Quote from: Ghostrider_23
:devil2: Looks like a lot of wheel guns here and some low cost carry arms. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the famous GLOCK or more expensive name brands. It start to make you think does it :?: What else is surprising is the average round is 32, 380 and 38. Does anyone carry their bazookas with them? :biggun: I like small and light and knowing how to shot  :sniper: Keep them coming guys and look back from time to time. I like this thread :bye:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but Glocks were mentioned a few times!

Quote from: New York Hunter

Well when I first got my pistol permit it wasn't a carry permit. My first pistol was a six inch stainless Ruger Security Six 357 mag. my father gave me. I then bought a Ruger KP94DC in 40 S&W. In 1999 I sold the KP94DC and bought a Glock 22 (full size 4.5" barrel 40 S&W). I also bought and then sold a Beretta 92F 9mm, it was a nice pistol it just didn't fit me. In 2002 I got my permit up graded to a carry permit and started carrying my Glock 22. A month later I bought a Smith & Wesson Sigma 380 because it was small and easy to conceal. Later that year I bought a Glock 27 (sub compact 3.5" barrel 40 S&W) and that is my main carry gun now. I don't see that changing any time soon. So to answer your question my first carry pistol was my Glock 22 and in the colder months I still carry it!

Quote from: 44 Man

My first carry gun was a Charter Undercover .38. Nice little gun. I have gone through full size 1911's, compact 1911's, a Kel Tec P32, couple of Glocks. Now most of the time I am back to a S&W Airweight .38 or a Charter Bulldog .44. Ocassionally I will still carry a .45, especially if I am going somewhere questionable. But for everyday convienence, smaller and (especially) lighter gets my vote. Either of those two fit the bill. I like the power of the .44 and the .38 will fit in my pocket if need be. 44 Man.

Quote from: Savage
The first one was a .25 Maxium auto, but I bought a .38 Derringer at the same time. I carried one or the other for quite a while before I learned better. That was 30+ years ago. Currently, I alternate between two P-3ATs, a Glock 36, Officers size 1911, and a Kimber Pro Carry. I have a couple dozen other pistols, and carry one of those from time to time, but the above five are my usual carry guns.
Savage
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Old Griz

What was your first
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 07:08:22 PM »
:cb2: My first carry gun: Glock 21. When the Mrs. and I first got our license, each county in Tennessee had different rules and regulations. It was up to the sheriff as to what caliber, and even what brand you could get. At the time I wanted an automatic, like most newbies. These were restricted to 9mm, or .45 ACP. To me that was a no brainer. I went with the .45, and after a lot of research and shooting, choose the Glock. Sometimes I carry one of my short barreled .357 K-frames, and sometimes a 9x18 Makarov, but most of the time my go to gun is still the Glock 21. Still have it in the back of my mind to get that little G36 one of these days . . .
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline thedave87

What was your first
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 05:05:34 AM »
My first carry gun, and still my carry gun is a Bersa Thunder .380. I've been eyeing up a compact 1911 .45 or maybe getting a new XD in .45 ACP

Offline UtahMike

• Rem. 22-250AI Etronx, Bush., 3200 -- 5-15x50
    • http://home.comcast.net/~hale.michael/wsb/index.html
What was your first
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »
Mine was a S&W model 39 in 9mm -- terrible gun, would only feed ball ammo, would jam every other time with hollow points, bugger to load for.
Sold it. right now.....  

Several .357's  and a 44mag, I know, not to concealed.  Then a Beretta 96 in 40S&W. again full sized, trouble is I'm 6'3" and 320#, things hide easy.

Now days I carry a Springfield sub compact XD in 40S&W with a belly band.

Offline chevyfan1a4

What was your first
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
I am new to handguns, just picked up a Taurus pt-92 afs about 4 months ago. It's 9mm with 17+1 capacity. Awesome gun! I carry it in my uncle mikes shoulder rig.

Offline flash-in-the-pan

What was your first
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »
Way back in the misty past, huh?

First regular "carry" gun was a Colt Official Police 38 SPL

Soon, it became apparent that it was a little large to hide on my (then very spare) frame, so a S&W 2" Mod 36 38 SPL, became "the" gun for a few years.

But in case the burglar alarm went off at the shop, the "turn-out" gun was the RemingtonRand 1911A1.

Got a S&W Model 39 (first issue) and couldn't spend the time and practice to master it, so even though it is a desirable piece for carry, it never did make it as full-time, first choice.

I had a great five-year flirtation with a Llama "Especial" .380 ACP ( a 3/4 scale copy of the 1911A1) which hid well on my frame, was super dependable, fun and accurate, but I felt, lacking in power.

Therefore it got retired when I bought a brand-new Charter Arms Stainless Undercover, .38SPL.  Now THAT still is one nice gun, and  is my second-choice carry, even now.

Four yrars ago, I got a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) and it is such a great gun (for me) that I got two more, and gave one to my daughter for her personal carry.  Yes, Federal 124gr JHP personal defense loads.

Except for the Colt OP, which later got converted to a serious bullseye pistol, then traded off for a hog-leg .44Mag,  they all still reside right here.

Flash
Hath God obliged himself not to exceed the bounds of our knowledge?
Michel de Montaigne   1533-1592

Offline urrlord

What was your first
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 03:31:55 AM »
my first pistol was a 32 long rossi 6 shot,upgraded it with a pachmyar semi bird head grip.carried it for 2-3 years ,then upgraded to a rossi 38  5 shot.next wasa ruger security six 357 usually small of the back carry(which my friends thought was a riot--the production of that hand cannon out of  no where)i'm 6-2 and back then 240 lbs. now i'm 290,marriage and years add it up.then a feg 32 auto for pocket carry,added a rossi 32 long with a hip grip for summer casual wear,and now a rossi 38 5 shot that needs work. but hey it was free!also my first rossi 32 long disappeared with a female acquaintance who left town.

Offline Old Griz

What was your first
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 08:07:42 AM »
:cb2: I remember going to a big gun show with a friend when I was first about to get into handguns. My only concern, back in that completely ignorant time, was money. We passed a table filled with guns that I could actually afford. I didn't know anything about handguns, and surely didn't know anything about a ".380," but gee, here was a gun for $99! I was going to come back the next day and get one of those Jennings .380 automatics! I can't remember what came up that kept me from going back, but whatever it was, I'm sure glad it happened! That would have been a total waste of time and money. The really bad part about it was that my friend was an ex-cop and he thought it was a good deal, too! He should've known better!!![/b]
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline hvacman

What was your first
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »
I started with a S&W 4040PD but have since have downsized to a S&W 642 in 38 Special and love carrying it.
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
What was your first
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
I started with and still carry the Glock 27.  I bought it the first year that it became available, and it has thousands of rounds through it without a failure.  Many others have come and gone, but I'll keep this one.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
What was your first
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »
Back in the mid 70s my first duty weapon and off duty carry was a Colt Diamondback in 38 special. That did not last long and I traded it for a Smith Model 19 combat magnum. I had begun to tinker with actions and so on and in 1976 I discovered the wonderful world of Series 70 19lls. With training a pratice I don't know how many of those things I customized over the years. When another cop saw them, I usually ended up selling it to them and started over with another. I must have carried every thing that Colt and Smith ever made for Law Enforcement over the years but, always returned to the 19ll. Now at 56, and retired from L.E. I seldom build one other than tuning one for a friend or one of my sons. The one I carry I didn't touch except for smoothing and lightening the trigger a little more. The Kimber TLE II Custom has everything I used to put on one already. That's what I carry now. I wish I had the night sights back when I ran a SWAT unit and Tactical K-9. Oh, well the Sunny Slops of Yester-Year they say. :D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett