Author Topic: Still unclear on types of cannon shoots??  (Read 487 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Still unclear on types of cannon shoots??
« on: March 06, 2006, 02:36:30 AM »
Having only been to one shoot I'm stull alittle fuzzy about cannon shoot distinctions, differences. From what I read some shoots seem to be N-ASSA official cannon shoots where cannons must be to spec of an origional cannon etc etc. Other shoots are shoots that are more just for fun and cannons don't have to be to origional specs where people use less than full scale cannons or shoot bowling balls etc, etc. Whats the difference between these kind of shoots?  In the Virginia area what different type of cannon shoots are there?
  I guess what I'm trying to get at is if someday I happen to be able to make or buy a cannon that is deemed safe but not a perfect replica of an origional such as a 1/2 scale mortar cannon, where could I shoot it in competition or just for fun in the Va area?

Scott

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »
Scott -

You stated it very clearly.
N-SSA has their shoots at Ft. Sheridan (Winchester, VA).

I shoot (informally) at several places (SW VA), public ranges, several friend's farms.

The two big organizations (on this coast) are AAA and N-SSA.

There are most likely some others in the area that I'm not aware of.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:00:39 AM »
Scott you might start checking local gun clubs to see if there are other people that are shooting cannon or mortars.

On a personal note I started with models and worked my way up to full scale pieces.  I always wanted a full scale piece and have often thought that maybe I should have saved the money spent on subscale guns and gotten into the full scale right from the beginning.  With that in mind there are several small full scale guns such as the Confederate Mountain Rifle, 12 pdr Howitzer, Ellsworth, and others.   Using small full scale guns would meet the N-SSA requirements and you could shoot at Fort Shenandoah (Winchester) or other N-SSA shoots in VA.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:19:21 AM »
The Artilleryman is about the small guns. Being a small full scale makes them eligible for any type of event and they do not have any special needs such as a heavy duty trailor and truck with a tow package. The cost of feeding a big gun can be a little scary to. The 12pdr.s at Grayling fire 2lbs.+ per shot. We can make it out there with our 3oz. charge.(though we have figure out the sight on it yet.)
   There were nearly 200 small sized guns floating around both armies in the civil war. Some of them were ,
The elesworth gun ,  around 36  1.5" bore 48" long Mt. How.type carriage.
Woodruff gun,  20 smoothbore, rifled pcs known. 2.250 bore
Filley gun. 15rifled ,15 smoothb.   2.125 bore
Con Mt. rifle, 36 rifled Bronze and iron    2.250    
Hughes gun   50pcs.    1.5 to 2" bore smooth and rifled
Travis.......
   As for mortar.. coehorns are most practical.

May I make this suggestion. Come down to the national range on the 3rd weekend in May on Friday and Saturday and talk to some people. Check out what is envolved. It might be a good idea to join a team just for artillery (let them know thats your intention) and spend little money dues and a generic uniform,gaining the experince before make a large finacial plunge. It would be usefull no matter what kind of cannon shooting you end up doing.
  Even these small guns are going to cost some good money.