Author Topic: 10 gauge heavy shot?  (Read 568 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
10 gauge heavy shot?
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:50:01 PM »
Is it safe for me to use remmington heavy shot out of a 10 gauge nef with a kicks 680 goblin thunder choke tube?Thanks all and GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
10 gauge heavy shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
I would check with NEF and kicks. I wouldn't do it though because of the hardness of hevi-shot. I have a feeling that it wouldn't pattern well anyway. Most x-full chokes say lead only.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
10 gauge heavy shot?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:21:19 AM »
Hevi-Shot doesn't like to be overconstricted.

I wouldn't put it through my Kick's GT. I might have a copy of an e-mail from Kick's on the matter but the bottom line is no Hevi in my GT. As expensive as it was I'm not going to experiment.

Hope this helps.

Nixter

Offline kylongbeard

10 gauge heavy shot?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »
I asked the same question to my gunsmith and the answer was absolutely not.  The heavy shot does not like to be restricted that much.  I shoot Winchester Supreme 3 1/2 inch 2 oz. #5's through a .690 and have great patterns (55-60 pellets in the head/neck at 40 yards).  Too expensive to experiment.

Good Luck and good hunting

Offline Critter

• Contributor
10 gauge heavy shot?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »
If your going to shoot Hevi-shot try a Pattern Master choke tube.  Absolutely incredible patterns.  My turkey hunting pard hammered a big long beard last year at over 40 yards and it went down like a ton of bricks.  It dropped just as fast as the one I shot at 15 yards earlier in the day.