Author Topic: determining if a scope works without shooting with it  (Read 687 times)

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
determining if a scope works without shooting with it
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
Well i got 2 scopes in Question as to wether or not they actually still work. One is an old Bushnell Banner 4x32 the other an old El Paso Weaver V7-II 2-7x32 with micro-trac.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
determining if a scope works without shooti
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 02:42:36 AM »
If your in doubt, then why not just mount them up to a 22 and see how they track? You won't spend much $$ just trying it out, it's quick, and will only take a handful of shells.
Just my 2cents
-Aaron

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 04:17:32 AM »
I suppose you could take a bore sight inserted into the barrel and maybe tap the scope and gun to see if the point of impact shifts.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 11:53:38 AM »
Greetings!

Yes... this is possible.

You need a bench mounted vise, and about 25-50 yards of clear view to the side of the vise.

Mount the scope in the vise.  Have a friend look through the scope, while you mount a target on the wall line-of-sight with the scope.  Have your friend tell you left/right/up/down directions until you have the center of the target aligned with the center of the scope crosshairs.  Tape target to wall at its final location.

Now, go back to the vise, and use the adjust screws to move the crosshairs up/down/left/right in relation to the target center.  You should be able to move the crosshairs around the target - and verify that the adjust screws work in all directions.

Best wishes,
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 02:41:18 PM »
I do something similiar to boresighting.  I mount the scope, look through the barrel at a fixed object (sign on the highway), and then track up/down and left/right.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 02:18:40 PM »
You can make sure the scope is centered before starting y putting the objective lens up against a mirrow and adjucting until you only see one set of crosshairs.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Gavinator

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
checking scopes
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »
Greenjeans is right, using a mirror you can also check to see if the cross-hairs move with power changes, and if the tracking returns to zero.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 08:50:25 AM »
so do i like place the obj lens flat against a mirror, look through the scope, and by using the zoom ring and adjustment turrets i can see the movements  ?
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now