Author Topic: Am I just a revolver recoil wuss?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline gp911

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Am I just a revolver recoil wuss?
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:26:29 PM »
First off, in my own defense, I have repetitive
stress damage in my hands and wrists that
makes squeezing a stress ball unpleasant at
times. Basically my hands have that "I just
woke up and ain't ready to squeeze anything"
feeling that hurts and tickles at the same time,
all the time.  :cry:

Shooting 25 full-house .357s in my SP101 feels
okay at the range, but afterwards my hand
hurts like a mofo, especially the area between
my thumb and forefinger. I also have fairly
small hands, so holding the bigger revolvers
feels like I'm holding a 2x4 with a weight hanging
off the end of it.                   :biggun:

Despite this, I occasionally consider picking up
a big bore revolver. I don't want to get something
that is unpleasant to shoot, but I don't want to rule
out every gun over .357 simply because the gun
feels kind of funny in my hands at the gun store,
and yet I'm concerned that I'll only be able to shoot
a cylinder or two before throwing in the towel and
picking up my AR, Mosin, or .410 H&R.

Since my experience with larger frame and bigger
bore revolvers is limited I thought I'd post and see
if I'm reading too much into this.

I know, time spent at the range shooting a buddy's
gun would be a good start, but any help is appreciated.
I'd love to try a .41 Mag, and I'd be interested in a
.44 so I could shoot specials and magnums, much
like my .357. Plus a Colt .45 would be nice... Then
there's the old .44-40, which probably is a pussycat...

Thanks guys.   :D  

gp911

Offline Camel 23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 05:23:36 PM »
I also have a sp101 and shooting magnum loads through it can get uncomfortable at times.  I prefer the feel of single action grips.  I have a Ruger Bisley in 45 colt that is much more comfortable to shoot "Ruger Loads" than the sp101 with mag loads.  My hand feels better after shooting 200 rounds out of the Bisley than it does after shooting 20 rounds out of the sp101.  The only double action revolver grips that I have liked so far and don't hurt my hand are the ones that come stock on the Alaskan.  The small grips on the sp101 and the light weight of the gun are nice for packing but to go and shoot a couple hundred rounds I like the single actions.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 01:06:12 AM »
Having damage in your hand is going to make it difficult to become proficient with a big bore handgun in my opinion. To become a good shot it takes practice and it sounds like you may have some problems in that department.  If you decide to go to a 41 Mag or 44 Mag, make sure you get a handgun with a good soft grip. A Smith & Wesson using the grip off of a X frame revolver could help.  The X frame grip has a cussion built in the back of the grip.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:25:06 AM »
If you like that 357 you can always shoot 38s out of it. They are much more comfortable.....Jim

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
bigger bore handguns
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:31:04 AM »
May I suggest, a 44 magnum with a large frame and check out the aftermarket grips. A nice soft grip can make a big difference. As far as practice use 44 special ammunition or reload to reduced loads with lead bullets. As stated before, a good trigger pull will go a long way in improving your accuracy. 44 special is a real nice shooter. I shoot a super Redhawk and like the factory grips just fine. But pounding away all day with it and your hand will hurt. I think you will find a 44 special or reduced power 44 magnum loads to your liking.

longwalker

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 09:29:29 AM »
Try a single action grip frame and a Bisley (Ruger) gripframe. They make recoil feel different.

Different loads/powders make a difference. Try black powder for instance!

Longwalker made a good suggestion, the .44 special in a .44 magnum gun. However I am partial to the .45 Long Colt. Neither the .44 special nor the .45 LC in a full sized gun will hurt you like a .357 magnum in a small gun.

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
Thanks guys...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 11:39:13 AM »
Good responses so far...

I shoot 38s through the sp101 as well and they don't hurt. I had heard some things about Bisley grips and single actions rolling in the hand to lessen felt recoil, guess I'd better try to find one to shoot.

gp911

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 02:51:49 PM »
I have trouble with my wrists, so I know where you're coming from. I can handle full house loads in a 357 all day in my Blackhawk, but if I step up to a 44 magnum, or shoot 357's in a light weight revolver like yours, it usually only takes a few cylinders full before I'm regretting it.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
Am with Prof Fuller as a single action grip will roll back in your hand rather than recieving the punch straight back into the web of your hand that a Dbl action will give you.

Another option might be to try some shooting gloves. :D

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
Look for something with a big grip and a long barrel.  Porting helps also.  The kick straight back will still be there, but it helps with the snap from the barrel climb, better on the little muscles and joints.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Questor

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 04:30:39 PM »
gp911:

You are probably a good candidate for a single action 44 magnum, Magnaporting may be a good idea too.  For your Ruger, try putting on a set of Pachmayr decelerator grips, they make a big difference.
Safety first

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 05:07:43 PM »
Thanks again guys, more good info! I'm taking notes...  :D

gp911

Offline SmackFactor

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 05:25:35 AM »
Hello,
I am going to suggest something a little different. You might look into the S&W 460. I know it is big, but that will help. My brother has arther in his hands and he can shoot it fine. The longer 8 3/8 length, weight and compensator combined with the good grip make it an Easy gun to shoot. It is versatile in its loadings also. A fairly stout 45 Colt fired from it is downright easy on the hands. If you decide to hunt with it you will have Many loads available from Very mild to Wild. Accuracy is outstanding.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 07:48:37 AM »
I have limited handgun experience...but eh, it is still experience!  Like previously mentioned, the weight of the firearm has dictates much about the recoil.  Another thing that matters, in my opinion, is how the grip fits your hand.
  I have a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .45Colt with a 2x Leupold scope...a heavy revolver.  I haven't shot really hot loads, but I have shot a lot of 255gr. @1265fps.  When I shoot, all I get is a little muzzle jump...can shoot it all day long.  My buddy, who has slightly smaller hands than mine can only shoot a few 255gr. @1100fps before he has to quit; complains it "bites" his hand.
  I highly recommend a ruger single-action .45Colt with a 7.5 inch barrel for you.  Most of the stuff you buy in the store are "cowboy" rounds that are easy enough for a youngster to handle.  Then you can load 'em up hot enough that I won't even load 'em!!!

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 08:28:13 AM »
I have to aggree with dakota on this one if you hand load a ruger 45 colt is probly the total way to go. factory loads I would compare with shooting a 38. If you handload then you could well surpass the 44mag in the ruger frame. AS far as a 460 goes well all I can say is this no sence pay for something like that if it will never be used. I shoot a 500 smith been handloading for it for a while now. I'm totally in the mind set don't buy a caliber if you don't intend on using it. a 500 with reduced loads is like shooting a 38 or you can tap it's potential and get quite a beast. Plus you could buy almost 4 ruger blackhawk 45 colts for the price of one 460. I don't know about you but that's alot of ammo you could buy.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
Quote from: gp911
Thanks again guys, more good info! I'm taking notes...  :D

gp911

Agree...several good suggestions. I have small hands also and while I don't have the disability you do I find the large frame N-frame DA revolvers uncomfortable regardless of type of grip. The smaller grips of the Redhawk and Anaconda are manageable. Medium frame DAs are fine with wrap around Pachmyers. Actually though I suggest a single action for you as they manage recoil differently than DA revolvers. I have never had recoil problems with them. I really like the Ruger Bisley 7.5" barreled .41 magnum, very comfortable to shoot. The older BHs and clones with Colt sized grips are easy to shoot also. I've a Hawes .44 that I've put thousands of Keith loads through without recoil pain. I'd suggest you try take a hard at the new "old model" size Rugers. They feel really well. The 50th Anniversery flat tops are currently available in .357 and they feel really good. I have a .44 mag 50th Anniversery with 6 1/5" barrel on order. I expect it to be comparable to the Hawes SAA in recoil. Of course all these can be down loaded for comfort.  BTW my Uberti .45 is also quite comfortable to shoot.  Again take a good look at the single actions.

Larry Gibson

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »
:D Sounds like the gun is just too big for you.  Package it up and put it in the mail to me, your problem is eliminated........... :roll:

Offline PaulS

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 04:03:27 PM »
I would sujest a Ruger or S&W revolver in whatever large caliber you want to play with. A 44 magnum comes to mind - something with grips that are comfortable in your hands (which may require after market grips) and then start shooting with target wad cutters. Pure lead, light weight bullets at 800 fps in a three to four pound gun can be extremely pleasant to shoot and you should get good results on the target as well. Plan on using faster burning powders (231, unique, HS6 or other similar powder. A good load to start off with is 5.5 grains of Winchester 231 with a large pistol primer and a lead 240 grain SWC. That should give a pleasant round to shoot with low recoil and accuracy at 25 yards that will keep your rounds in the black - depending on the size of the black that you use. Years ago I used a 6 inch black and I found I could get better groups by going to a black circle that is just large enough to keep a consistant sight picture. I use a target with 5 - 1 1/2 inch circles on it and I get groups that are 1 inch or better with my handguns. I would not expect to get that accuracy from a new gun but I would expect to work into it as I became more comfortable with the gun and taylored the load for optimal accuracy.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 05:08:57 PM »
Just a quick note to everyone. I don't reload (yet), but feel free to list your ammo recipes for the lurkers that are reading this thread.

Thanks again all, some intriguing suggestions are popping up...  :D

gp911

Offline PaulS

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 12:12:26 AM »
Ok GP911,

Now that I know you don't reload  here is a list of things that reduce felt recoil.

Weight - the more weight you are hangin on to the less you feel recoil

Barrel length - the longer the barrel is the more straight back the push is and the less it tries to twist your wrist off

light bullets - the lighter the bullets the less recoil you feel

Light loads - the slower the bullet leaves the gun the less recoil is there.

===========================================

With that out of the way you have two excellent choices depending on where you live and where you buy ammo

1.  45 colt (especially in a long barreled heavy revolver)
until you reload almost all the loads you are going to buy are 200 to 250 grain bullets at near 800-900 fps. In a large frame revolver (Ruger) it will be like shooting a strong 38 spl load. If you decide you want more once you reload you can load some loads that are very close to or slightly over 44 magnum loads (don't need it - wouldn't shoot it - but its there)

2. 44 Magnum (again in a long barreled heavy revolver)
Until you reload you can shoot the milder 44 special ammo without hurting your revolver at all. If you shoot the light-weight bullets you will find it about the same as shooting 38s from your Ruger. If you need more than that you can go to 44 magnum lightweight rounds and learn to reload and taylor your loads to what you can handle. The 44 is capable of serious recoil but with a long barrel and a heavy gun it is managable even for a guy like me who is sensitive to recoil.

to summarize the choices:

If you have limited sources for ammo find out which is more readily available to you = 44 special (which can sometimes be hard to find in the local stores but is available on the internet sources) or the 45 colt which seems to be just about everywhere because of the Cowboy Shooting Sports. Find out which is less expensive for you in your area.
If one is easier to get or cheaper then get a long barreled heavy gun (probably double action being heavier than single but check around) that either fits your hand (filling it but not to the point where you can't grip it well one handed) or has grips available that will fit your hand and buy it.

I assure you that either choice will fit your needs, now and in the future and if you choose to buy a Ruger it will be in good shape long enough for your grandkids to enjoy. Mine is coming up on thirty-five years old and it shoots better now than when I competed with it in 1984.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline JD11

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 06:03:16 AM »

If you are, I am too.   I just bought the 26 ounce S&W 329 44 mag. mainly to pack on horseback, flyfishing, etc, when in grizzly country being as about two guys I know get chewed up every hunting season.    I bought the "lower recoil" hardcast bullet 44 mag. cartridges from Buffalo Bore designed for the super lightweight revolvers and fired one of those babies off yesterday morning.   Holy Crap, I decided they're for emergency use only, the regular higher recoil load must really be a thrill in a 329.   However, I had loaded up some 180 gr. Sierras with a mild dose of Hodgdon's Titegroup powder and those were really enjoyable to shoot.   You could pop those off all day long.
I also had done this with my Ruger Vaquero in 45LC, the hottest John Linebaugh recommended handloads for bear protection, but mild loads with Titegroup for practice and enjoyable shooting.   That's another option you might want to try plus handloading is fun and not too expensive to get into considering the cost of store bought ammo nowdays.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 03:43:34 AM »
Sounds like the grips, you've got on your gun, are just too large for your hand? I don't know about Rugers, but other makes of handguns have smaller grips available. Just a suggestion, try other guns with smaller grips on them.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 05:58:23 AM »
I agree with Larry Gibson. I can shoot my Super Blackhawk 44 mag and it doesn't bother my hands yet my S@W 357mag with 4'' bbl and target grips hurts my hand. Weigh is a factor too as I shoot the same 357 loads in a Dan Wesson 15-2VH 8 with no problems.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 10:09:53 AM »
For the exposed tang grips like on a S&W you might try the limbsaver pistol recoil pad.  They are made for the glock seme autos but I put one on my S&W 629 that I carry almost daily as a backup/defense gun and it makes shooting really heavy loads more comfortable.  It just cushions that area of the web of your hand between your thumb and first finger.

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/phs.aspx

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »
Some great ideas in here, and I hadn't thought of the limbsaver piece...

As for the grips being too large, they're actually a perfect fit to my hand, the gun almost disappears, to my mind. It's like an extension of my hand. It just hurts after a few cylinders of .357 (and a few of .38s, figure 60-80 rounds total).

Now I'm itching to try a Bisley-gripped .44 and I gotta pick up the .460 to see if it still feels incredibly awkward like it did the first time... Massive revolvers just feel bizarre in my hands, but I think I need to shoot a couple to see if I'm assuming too much based on first impressions.

It's like riding a motorcycle, I've noticed. Bikes I thought felt great to sit on in a showroom sometimes felt odd when people let me ride theirs.

This is what I'd hoped for, lots of different feedback, suggestions for specific revolvers, even the "I don't think you'll want any more gun" is helpful as I'm keeping an open mind and maybe I will end up having to stick with .357s as a max chambering. Ohhh, poor me, right?  :)

Thanks again guys.

gp911

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 12:23:40 AM »
I carried a .357 Magnum SP-101 for several years, but I never liked practicing with it at the range due to controllability, and the fact that after about twenty-five rounds it became a painful experience. So I finally replaced it with a 9mm Taurus 24/7 that I can shoot comfortably all day with total confidence.

If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 01:01:28 PM »
gp911:  You're no wuss, you're just hurting yourself every time you play with that thing.  Swamp Yankee has a good suggestion - if you like the gun shoot 38s.....

If you want a big bore revolver and don't necessarily need a magnum caliber remember that the Model 24 (44 Spl) has been remade and the M25 comes in 45 Colt.  Both these calibers are easy on the shooter and their history speaks for itself.  But if you have small hands you may wish to consider small grips that give you the feel and comfort you need to really enjoy shooting those bigbores.  And, The Bear showed that Limbsaver that I think I'm going to look at for my own S&Ws.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 05:10:41 PM »
I should have mentioned the .45 Colt is definitely in the running as well. Since it's chambered in many of the same guns as the .44 Mag and is offered in a wide variety of factory loads, plus the potential for .44 Magnum power with handloads, well, it looks like I have several options. The next time I'm at the one of the gun stores (luckily we have several to choose from) I'll have to handle some more guns and see what fits my hand keeping in mind the way the single actions roll with recoil, etc. etc. etc.

I'm betting the large-by-huge .460 x-frame will still feel like I'm holding the small end of a heavy truck axle in my hand... Too bad, the thing is sexy... Still, I could get a Bisley Blackhawk, a .45-70 Handi-Rifle, and a Pardner Protector for the price of the Smith... That or ten more Mosins...   :mrgreen:

Hmmm, still gotta order that Polish ammo.  :gun4:

*cough*

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, you've been very helpful.

Any other replies are certainly welcome.

gp911

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »
I carried two or three different .357s as duty weapons.  Thanks to the taxpayer I got to crank off a lot of ammo.  I do not know if they make rubber grips for your Ruger, but for the S&W's they made a major difference.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline gp911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 03:17:38 PM »
Ackshully, the grips on my SP101 are rubber...  :|

They just aren't very big, which is why they fit my hand perfectly.

It's a catch-22. Small grips = fit great and conceal well, but don't take the sting out when shooting a decent amount of .357 rounds. I'm okay with my SP101 overall, but I would like to try a bigger bore revolver and I'm concerned recoil will be worse yet, and it already does a number on me in the Ruger the day afterward... :shock:

As suggested, I'll likely try some single actions, Bisley grips, long barrel guns, etc. I just will have to keep handling different guns until I find another that feels as well balanced in my hand as the Ruger.

Speakin' of which, I gotta clean that thing...   :oops:

gp911