Author Topic: Which Slug Barrel  (Read 1001 times)

Offline 22rimfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Slug Barrel
« on: March 07, 2006, 05:29:06 PM »
Hello all!  I have a quick question.  Which slug barrel would you guys suggest for a guy, the Tracker II or the Heavy USH?  I have a 20 ga Pardner that I am going to send off to get a barrel for and don't know which one to get?  If I go with the Tracker I would get the 12 ga, and I seem limited to the 20 if I send in for the USH.  Scope or sights doesn't matter to me.  I will use the gun for stand hunting hogs and for hunting deer in the woods and across some of the fields near home.  Thanks for the responses.
Aaron
Anyone who claims the 30-06 doesn't work has either not tried it or is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:06:40 PM »
I just finished up doing this same thing myself.  I wanted a rifled slug barrel for one of my NEF shotguns in the worst way.  That is until I found out they were specifically designed to shoot expensive sabot slugs only.  I asked NEF customer service if this was true.  Their response was "Yep!".

It is my understanding if you shoot a standard lead slug from a rifled barrel the riflings will clog with lead after about the third or so shot.  After this you are launching flyers only unless you clean the lead out of the riflings.  Way too much trouble for me.  It made me look at my smoothbore in a whole new light.  I don't want a shotgun barrel that is dedicated for shooting only plastic covered bullets.  Just my personal preference.  

I like to shoot bargain basement blammo out of my shotguns.  Rifled slug barrels are aiming (no pun intended) at a different group of people other than myself.  I'm so tight I squeak when I walk.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 11:35:56 PM »
one$$shot has made the point.  You must decide what type of ammo you want to use.  If want to shoot cheap, then go with the Tracker I which is cyl. bore and has sights in 12 or 20.  If you want to use the Sabot slugs, then you have 3 choices.  Either of the Tracker II models or the USH in 20ga.  You will need a scope for the USH, as it does not come with sights.  Decisions...Decisions...

Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:41:07 AM »
and across some of the fields near home.

You also have to think about range.  A 20 ga USH will be accurate up to 200 yards.  The smoothbore Tracker (even in 12 ga) will only be good to about 100 yards.

For me, the improved accuracy and range is well worth the price of the sabot shells.  And if I am correct, the bullet design (expansion) is much better than a standard slug.  Can anyone confirm or refute this?

RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:01:57 AM »
I have never had good old 12ga Winchester fosters fail to completely penetrate, farthest shot has been about 90 yards. My brother in laws 20ga USH with Remington copper solids did not leave an exit hole on a 100 yard shot (heart/lung hit) The deer was still very dead though.

Offline RackWrangler

• Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »
Federal posts this on their site with ballistic charts.

"Our Barnes® Expander™ Sabot Slugs are capable of 2-inch groups at 100 yards out of a 12-gauge fully rifled barrel. Now that’s accurate. And with 150% greater expansion than conventional sabot slugs, Expander is top-tier—by anyone’s standards."

These are much more accurate than the Foster style slugs you shoot through a smoothbore.

Do some research and you'll find that the new Barnes slugs, in a rifled barrel, are much better than any type of old slug.  The whole point is expansion.  The bullet may not pass through the game, but the wound channel would be much larger and all the energy from the slug would be transferred to the game.  A bullet that passes through doesn't transfer all it's energy.  That is why we don't use FMJ bullets in our hunting rifles.

RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline Bugtussle

Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
I would go with the 20 USH & shoot the Sabots.  Dont worry about the cost of the sabots.  I buy  & shoot 5 of them a year.  One at a deer & then I save the other 4 to make sure my scope is still on zero  the next year. :wink:

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 02:14:27 PM »
Bugtussle,
How are things down there.  My folks live in Wappapello.  I need to get back down to the hills.  I love the spring time down there.  Sounds like a plan...one for the kill and 4 for the scope.  

cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 12:16:31 AM »
Aaron:  I soldered some aftermarket iron sights on my smoothbore 20 gauge Pardner about 14 years ago for turkey hunting.  It makes quite a difference having both rear and front sights when shooting your shotgun versus just a bead regardless if you're shooting slugs or #6's.  I was pleasantly surprised!  Your smoothbore is plenty accurate at normal shooting distances for a shotgun.  You might consider having the factory (or any gunsmith) solder the Tracker II sights on your Pardner smoothbore barrel.  

Having a shotgun with a barrel designed to shoot a single type of shotshell (sabots only) doesn't thrill me.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »
one$$$shot, that's what I want to do with an old 410 barrel that I have.  Just for the heck of it!  It's a 26" and I want to cut it down to 22 or maybe just 24...only need to take off the first 1" to get it to cylinder bore, but the shorter barrel would make it quicker handling.  Ya think I would loose much in range or accuracty between 22 and 24 inches?  
Just something I been wanting to try.
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 04:48:10 AM »
Cookieman:  I'd go for it!  That's the true beauty of these weapons in my opinion.  You can do whatever floats your boat.  You have everything to gain and very little to lose.  I make everything work exactly the way I want it too.  Most of the time I come out smelling like a rose!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 08:13:22 AM »
Sabot slugs are recommended for use with any fully rifled slug barrel no matter who manufactured the barrel.  You may be able to purchase an older Tracker I barrel from H&R.  Contact them to find out as they do not advertise that barrel's availability on their web-site.  They may still have some older stock barrels kicking around there.  It doesn't hurt to ask.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Bugtussle

Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 09:40:41 AM »
Cookieman,
Things are wet here in SEMO.  Been raining since Wednesday.  Got about 4" so far.  This will put some H2O in the ground to bring up the schroons next month. :grin:

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 11:05:30 AM »
Quote from: Bugtussle
Cookieman,
Things are wet here in SEMO.  Been raining since Wednesday.  Got about 4" so far.  This will put some H2O in the ground to bring up the schroons next month. :grin:

It's hard to believe its that time of year again already.  Last year I ended up with about four pounds of morels.  Not a good season.  Most years I normally do a little closer to ten pounds.  They sure go good with Dungeness crab dipped in melted butter!   :grin:

Offline 22rimfan

Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 08:20:18 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Gives me something to think about.  I picked up some slugs for the ol' 20 ga, just to give a try, but am still thinking about that slug gun.  I've seen a 20 ga Delux Ultra Slug that looks so sweet, but they want $260 +tax.  I've also got my eye on a 12 ga USH that's $80 cheaper, read minus the laminated stock.  So if the slugs do ok then I may pass on the slug gun and just pick up a Handi in 280 for $200.  Man decisions, decisions, decisions...  Thanks again.
Aaron
Anyone who claims the 30-06 doesn't work has either not tried it or is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Which Slug Barrel
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 02:14:18 AM »
You betcha 22rimfan!  I figured out which type of ammo/slug I wanted to shoot first then go looking for the barrel to launch it out of.  Having adjustable rear and front sights on a smoothbore is sweet.  Shooting foster slugs using a front bead only won't tell you much.  

If I hadn't done my homework first I would have been stuck with a rifled barrel shooting costly sabots (only) in order to accommodate the rifled barrel (no matter who makes the barrel).  This is fine if you are going to use your shotgun as a deer gun only (so much for the scattergun part).  I wanted to decide what kind of ammo I'm going to shoot out of my shotgun.  I don't want the type of barrel deciding for me.  

You may decide to launch a load of double ought buckshot at them hogs someday.  Its nice to have a barrel that will allow you to change your mind as to what goes through it.  

I'm not trying to knock rifled barrels.  I'm just pointing out that they're a dedicated/single purpose device.  A smoothbore is not.