Author Topic: Low Down Dirty Thieves  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »
The box that I shipped my 25-06  barrel in to Wayne at Oregunsmithing to be rebored arrived today there..but not the barrel... :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  

Seems someone busted open the end of the large triangular express mail carton (which I had packed tight and triple tapped) ..and conviently removed my barrel..nothing else on the package was disturb..it was real nice of them to push the end back into the pagage and delivery that way...I hope the thieves never get it to work on any reciever they put it on...nor get a dime out of it when they try to sell it or trade it... :evil:  :evil:

Now to go thru all the BS of getting the insurance out of them...what a pain...lowdown dirty thieves...:evil:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:56:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that Mac, that's the pits!! :(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:41:22 PM »
You got to be freaking kidding me!   :shock: :evil:  That is low man, VERY low.  No honor in a theft.
At least you did insure it though, it could be even worse.
Though I know that doesn't make this easier.
I hope you get your insurance quickly and painlessly, so you can get back on track with your project...I tell ya always something in the way isn't it?
-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:23:43 PM »
To borrow a phrase from Quick..." This Really Chaps My Hide... :evil:

Well...I've P&M'd about this long enough..and gotta get some sleep....I guess I have to believe my wife ..she's always said..." Everything for a reason"...so..I guess I just have to deceide all over again,what to do about this... :cry:

What do you guys think???????????

Should I say the what the...heck... and just replace the 25-06 barrel and go ahead with the rebore to 270 Win...or..should I forget about O'Conner for the moment...and look to Carmicheal and his perinnial favorite( and many here too)... the 280 Rem.?????????..Cost-wise it is a no-brainer really...cartridge-wise it is a different ballgame...The allure of  another custom Handi..or a very very good standard Handi barrel....Sheeeeeese... :?

Mac

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »
Well, obviously, you know they won't try to sell it here, but you may want to keep a close eye on ebay.  With the package not being damaged, it almost makes ya wonder if the actually knew what was in there and it wasn't just a RANDOM theft.  Hmm...Good Luck with you decision on what barrel to choose.  That always seems to be the hardest part.

Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 02:32:39 AM »
With any luck it'd blow up in their hands.  ...maybe take off a few fingers.

Sorry about your loss.  :(
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »
Yet another incident of an honest man victimized by an opportunistic scrounge. An unfortunate but not unusual turn of events. :?

My vote would be to continue with your original plan...more legwork now, but don't let the SOB who did this to you discourage your efforts. :x

Sincere hopes that the resulting inconvenience and delay will be minimal. :wink:
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
ouch
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 03:37:38 AM »
its gotta hurt :twisted: your better half is right.......get your money from them then decide........who was the shipper anyway?????????sorry its gotta hurt ...i had a 32 h&r mag barrel and 10 ga stolen10 years ago i still miss the 32 every time tree rat season opens in may...the 10 kicked so hard i hope the new owner  shot it and it kicked ther teeth out......jb

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 03:49:50 AM »
I shipped it via the US Post Office..in one of their triangular express mail  boxes....It won't be so easy for them next time..I can tell you that..

Well..I'm off to see what can be done...

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 05:46:07 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700

Should I say the what the...heck... and just replace the 25-06 barrel and go ahead with the rebore to 270 Win...or..should I forget about O'Conner for the moment...and look to Carmicheal and his perinnial favorite( and many here too)... the 280 Rem.?????????..Cost-wise it is a no-brainer really...cartridge-wise it is a different ballgame...The allure of  another custom Handi..or a very very good standard Handi barrel....Sheeeeeese... :?

Mac

Why not just try out a 280? I know your set on a 270, which I don't blame you :wink: And as you said-for the moment. But I don't believe you would be disappointed with it, and even if by some snowballs chance you are, you can always do 1 of 2 things..Sell it to me :) ...or make a custom Wildcat barrel out of it 8)
Custom Handi? :oh:  :yeah:  :toast:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 05:48:47 AM »
Yup, .280.....you can always get the .270 custom later if you still got the urge, which I don't doubt you will!! :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 07:10:55 AM »
Golly...talk about having to jump thru hoops to get this resolved..drive here..drive there..nope this guy won't be in till later..nope..you filled out the wrong form..don't know why they gave you that one here..I'll have to get you the new form to fill out..need extra copies of all originals..oh boy..get the new form home..gotta check box that says firearms on it..:shock: ...I wonder how many flags will be set off now...and worse..how long till I get reinbursed...now I'll have to drive into downtown and talk with the PM General...great...another wasted day...more wasted gas...and the way my luck is going..a bigger hassle as well...errrrrrrrrr...I hate Mr.Murphy..... :evil:

But other than that it's a fine rainy water logged day here...   :-D I guess I'll call Jennifer back and order a 280 for now..Great..more money..will need dies,brass,bullets... Lions,Tigers & Bears...Oh My.....my wife is going to shoot me...

Mac

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
Gosh darn it!! I was looking forward to hearing your range reports on your custom .270 Mac. I am very sorry for your misfortune. I never cared for people of such low character (thieves) a hickory stick across the hands in order.  Well I hope something good comes out of this. Keep your chin up buddy, I know its not always so easy to do so.

John

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 12:07:58 PM »
gotta check box that says firearms on it

Nope, not unless you sent a serial numbered receiver.  The barrel does not count as a firearm.

I think you should order a 45-70 and have it filled in to 222 rem mag. :wink:

good luck,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 01:37:55 PM »
When I recently shipped my NEF 243 back to the factory the customer service rep told me "Stealth is the name of the game!".  She told me to disguise the fact it was a gun or it would never get there.  I told the post office clerk only.  It was in a plain brown wrapper so to speak.  Like a girly mag.  This protected it in transit.

At least the U.S. government is involved and who ever took it has committed a federal offense.  If they're caught, they're not going to jail.  They'll be going to Leavenworth and bunking with "Big Bob"!

If it got ripped from a private courier (not the government) it wouldn't be a federal offense.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »
Mac,I hate that happened to you....I HATE a THIEF.....anyway,I think you should get what you started out trying to get....let us know   :D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline dgii

Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 02:28:59 PM »
I bought a large amount of stuff from a well known company that deals in firearms stuff and hunting gear.  They shipped it USPS, sat in Philadelphia over the weekend, box was all but empty when I got it.  They cut the tracking sticker off and pulled everything that would fit out, then taped the sticker and the rest of the box up.  Needless to say I called the shipper about it.  Was told that this was a regular occurence for them.  Don't ship anything important through the post office, they know the addresses to look for.

Some of the thieft is from anti gun and anti hunting people.  They think its funny to do it to those who think differently then they do.  

Hope they give you the total cost to replace the barrel including shipping of the receiver both ways.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »
Mac, I am sorry that happened & it really sucks!   :evil:  I have no tolerance for theives & I am sure you are like me, if you saw this happen,
they would need Breakfree to separate the barrel from their anatomy.
Yes, the 280 would be a neat short term project.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 07:02:12 PM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
gotta check box that says firearms on it

Nope, not unless you sent a serial numbered receiver.  The barrel does not count as a firearm.

I think you should order a 45-70 and have it filled in to 222 rem mag. :wink:

good luck,
Ian

Thanks Ian..I was really starting to worry about it..I guess I'll head back to downtown and pick up a new form and just check the sporting goods box ehh..... :wink:

Well..for now it looks like I'll be joining the 7mm ranks for a while..I called Jennifer before they closed on my way in to work this afternoon..and told her to have Jon fit a 280 barrel to it...so..the 270 project will be on hold untill mid-summer.....So..it's time to pick up some more bullets,brass,and a set of dies...what a bite this is really..cost wise..time wise..especially with all of my 270 stuff sitting here.. :cry:

I guess it's time to start looking at the positive...and see just how good this 280 will do for me...Time to start doing my homework..and brush up on everything I can read about this round...

If anyone wants to PM me their favorite loads..I sure would appreciate it.. :D

Mac

Offline dodd3

Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »
mac sorry to here the bad news ive bin of line for a while changed my sever so have missd a couple of weeks bin away on company busnis also ,there are some low lifes in this world thats a fact of life bring back flogings thats my opinion ,take care .
bernie
if its feral its in peril

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 11:46:33 AM »
Well..I guess things will work out..I got thru my ordeal with the post office....and because of my run in with them at my branch..they all are getting some training on folks filing claims with them..I don't know if it will help or not..but maybe they won't be giving out the wrong forms anymore....2-3 weeks for a refund check if I'm lucky they said...

I got my Forster dies,Winchester Nickle brass and 2 types bullets ordered from Cabela's..and picked up some new mops to Flitz the barrels when the come in..and bought some 150grain CT-SBT bullets while at the store...so..I figure I'm set to give them a fair work out..I'll see how good these new extractor barrels are as compared to the ejector ones in the larger calibers..Stuck brass shouldn't be a issue anymore at least..So..I hoping everything works out with this ..I'll have the 140 & 150 CT Silver Ballistic Tips to try..and some 140 Accubonds as well...to start out with..and now that I think abpout it... I'll have some Fusion ammo ordered too if I can get any and have it here in time to shoot..

I'm hoping Mr.Murphy leaves me alone for awile..I really hate it when he comes around...  :x

Mac

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 03:44:53 PM »
Mac.
Sorry about the loss. Perhaps these were the same thiefs thar stole the sample bullets you send me, I never did anything about it. When you send something the word gun, barrel, bullets shoud never appear on the package. An oversize box containing steel pipes would atract less attention.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Low Down Dirty Thieves
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 08:33:03 AM »
Your right Fred..next time I send a barrel anywhere they will need a hack saw to get the package open :shock: ....The bullets I sent you...and my 25-06 barrel is the only problem I've had with the post office..normally they are darn good..and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than FED-Ex...UPS..or DHL...usually 1/2 as much..but we'll see how the refund goes before I use them again for this.. I'll be looking for another ejector 25-06 barrel to send out to Wayne to be rebored..I know where a complete rifle is..but..I don't want to spend that much for one..I'll have a 25-06 extractor barrel coming with the 280 when the fine folks at NEF finish it..I'll want to keep that one stock and put it thru it's paces with some of these fine 125 grain WildCat uld-rbbt's bullets nomosendaro sent me..and some of the 100 grain ones I'm having Richard make for me..

I've been reading everything I can find on the 280..and it's looking better and better to me everyday,so I'm getting myself mentally prepaired  to working with it..all the reports I've read seem very positive on it so this is helping me accept my loss on it....I don't think I'll ever change my mind on wanting a 26" 270 barrel from Wayne..his work is excellent and I know it would be a joy shooting and owning this configuration in a Handi from him..it will just take a little longer now for me to get one done....They have some pretty awsome bullets available for the .277 now with BC's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there...same for the .257's as well...so..we just got to get them here to try out...I've been chatting with the fine folks at Hodgdons....and they gave me some data to use with Retumbo and the heavier 125's...for the .257...it just might make it sit up and get noticed.... :wink:

Mac