Author Topic: scope for CZ 17hmr  (Read 1142 times)

Offline loophole

• Trade Count: (0)
scope for CZ 17hmr
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »
I've a CZ varmint rifle on order, .17 HRM.  I'm going to need a scope.  I plan to use the rifle for small varmints and what I call serious plinking--shooting for group and shooting reactive targets out to 200 yards--might try long range squirrel hunting in the fall.  What scope to buy?
Most of my scopes are leupold VIII's and Unertl's, but these have gotten so expensive they're more than the price of the rifle.  I've never been happy with a tasco, simmons, modern redfield or any "other brand" scope I've tried , but surely there must be something in the $200 range that's suitable.  I think I need a 2x7 or maybe a 3x9, and I think I need an adjustable objective.  Clear optics and repeatable clicks are a must.  Good light transmission probably is the next priority.
How does a Leupold riflemen compare to a Burris Fullfield 2 or a Bushnell Elite 3200?  Anyone want to comment on the Buris Rimfire 3x9 or 4x12?
Is there any scope under $200 worth considering?
Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Mattkc

• Avid Poster
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:31:35 PM »
I have a 3X9 Elite on my 17 hmr and find it works great.  However I use it mainly for hunting with only a little target shooting.  Frankly I rarely have the scope above 6X and I'm thinking about swapping a fixed 6 power.   Even in the Fall I have not found many long shots on tree squirrels.  Where I live in the Fall they tend to stay on the ground in brushy areas and avoid trees with bare branches.  If you want to save $100 check out CDNN they have S&W 3X9 discontinued scopes.  I have one on my 308 for 3 years.  Every bit as good as my Elite and built like a tank.  It is on the heavy side but my POI has not changed in 3 years.  Like the Elite it is built in Japan.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 05:21:39 AM »
the Burris FF II is optically superior to the VX-I and the 3200.  I have one on my 17HMR and it works very good.  A great scope for $150 for sure.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 06:20:37 AM »
loophole, skip the Rifleman and go to the VXI. But you got the brand right.  (LEUPOLD)  :D  :D  :toast:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline loophole

scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:17:25 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, boys.  Since my original post I've gotten strong recommendations for the Nikon Buckmaster as the best scope in this price range.  Any more thoughts?

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 07:26:14 AM »
I put a Simmons 44 Mag 6.5X20X44 on my new Savage 93 Bull barrel 17 HMR, it has the new accu-trigger. These are excllent scopes for $89-$99.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »
i further Nikon. even their Pro-staffs are brilliant.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 04:07:24 AM »
I have a 2X7 Prostaff on my NEF .17 hmr - It is a wonderful hunting scope - the 2X is awesome for close bunnies in cover and offhand work and the 7X is plenty for the 200 yard shots at chucks.  If you are more into target work the I would go for more power, but for hunting you would be hard pressed to beat the 2X7 Prostaff by Nikon.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:54:52 PM »
ok, I'll be the odd-ball here, Have you seen the Millett gold buck line ? they have a 4X16X44mm that usually sells between $160-210, I just got it on my bushmaster, and I have only shoot about 100 rounds through it, but man, I can see the holes hitting at 200 yards, its seriously clear and "good"..... I know most people on GB wouldn't even consider anything that doesn't have the name "leoupold , nikon , burris, bushnell 3200 & 4200".....

But that millett is one nice scope, plus it comes with full lifetime transferable warranty

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
scope for CZ 17hmr
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 01:37:43 PM »
The CZ 452 .17HMR I own is one of my favorite rifles.  Trigger is awesome, and the gun is very accurate.  When I first bought the gun, I used a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 on it (which worked pretty well).   However, I recently replaced it with a Sightron SII 6x42AO HBR scope.  I was worried about the magnification at first, but I have found that 6x is plenty enough for 150-175 yards.  Out to this distance, crows and other varmints don't have a chance.

I highly recommend Sightron scopes, and have been very impressed with them.  Mine has 1/8" clicks, which are perfect for the .17 round.  Plus, it came with target knobs and a 4" sunshade.  Glass is as good (if not better) than VX-2's and Fullfield's, and not far behind some of the far pricier brands.  I also have a 4-16x42AO SII on one of my .223's, and I don't think you can beat these scopes for the money. Not only that, their warranties are second to none.  I recently had a very minor issue with one, which was more cosmetic than anything.  I shipped it to them on a Tuesday, and had a brand new scope the following Wednesday!

Here's a pic of mine.  The picture didn't come out as well as I'd liked, but you get the general idea...

How does a Leupold riflemen compare to a Burris Fullfield 2 or a Bushnell Elite 3200?

With the exception of the price, the Rifleman doesn't even begin to compare to the other scopes you've mentioned.  First of all, the Rifleman series doesn't come with click adjustments.  It has friction adjustments, so repeatability is an issue.  That in itself should exclude it from your search.  Then, considering the glass isn't on par with either the 3200 or the FII, then you'll quickly see that its not even in the same league.  The only thing the Rifleman has going for it is its relatively small size and light weight.  Problem is, Leupold has scrimped so much on every thing else that its not worth it to even consider (especially for close to $200).  For $175, here's what you get with the Rifleman:  3-pc tube, non multi coated lenses, and friction adjustments.  

For under $200, I cannot recommend the Fullfield II enough.  Finger adjustable turrets, excellent glass, and the Ballistic Plex reticle works well with the .17 HMR round.
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"