Author Topic: Help,I need a scope for my new TC Encore 300 Win.  (Read 480 times)

Offline jdbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
Help,I need a scope for my new TC Encore 300 Win.
« on: March 10, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
I think I have narrowed it down to a few but would like some advice and opinions from all you experts. There is alot of good info here.

All the scopes I list are in the 3-9 x 40 category. This setup will be used primarily for hunting.

Okay,I took a trip to Gander Mountain today to get a look at some scopes.First I compared the Buckmaster, Fullfield II, and Elite 3200. To me the Buckmaster had the best clarity, Elite 3200 was a very close second,but not quite as clear, the Fullfield II did not impress me at all. Next I compared the Monarch to the Buckmaster, I really could tell no difference between the two optically, and it was the middle of the day so a low light comparison was not availiable. I really wanted to compare the two Nikons to the Elite 4200 and the Weaver Grand Slam but they had neither of these 2 in stock They did have a Conquest and all I can say is wow! That definitly was a nice scope, there was no problem telling the difference between the two Nikons and the Conquest. Just not sure I can justify spending that much.

Have any of you noticed a great difference between the two Nikons I list? I really could not tell any difference, but since the Monarch is supposed to have better glass there will most likely be a difference in low light situations. How does the Nikon Monarch compare to the Weaver GS and how does the Elite 4200 compare to both of these? I am assuming the Conquest is in class by itself compared to these other scopes. As far as Leupold goes, I really dont see the need to spend that much for a scope when there are others availible just as good or better for the same price.

The eye reliefe of the Elite 4200 was initially a concern of mine, but I do have a B&L Elite 3200 3-9 x 40 on a
Ruger 77 MKII Synthetic 300 Win. and have never been whacked with the scope, came very close a few times though, but that gun/caliber combination kicks like a mule on steroids  . I think the Encore will tame the recoil a bit compared to that setup, maybe not though.

Thanks

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Help,I need a scope for my new TC Encore 30
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:31:07 AM »
Nikon, i had thier 3-9x40 Pro-staff and its great, probably could stand to .300mag but if you've got the means a Buckmaster or Monarch would be nice. I had accidentally broken the seal so it fogged up and Nikon fixed it no charge, stupidity insurance is nice :)
coming soon to Midwayusa is the 3-9x40 Prostaff with BDC reticle so that may be worth a look, otherwise those Buckmasters look really nice even cosmetically. Just don't spend more than is really nessesary.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 04:57:25 AM »
I have all 3 of those scopes, prefer the Burris FF II, then the Buckmasters, 3200 is last IMHO. My old eyes can see better at dusk with the Burris.

Offline pigboy

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »
I have the Weaver GS and the Nikon Monarch.  I like the Weaver better.

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 03:25:18 PM »
to compare them in a store in bright light is not a very good way to compare.  IF you can test them in low light you would see the difference.  I have a Z scope and it is slightly better than my Monarch.  But it costs $200.00 more.  For me the Elite 4200's are VERY nice and the raincoat really works well.   WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 01:44:33 AM »
I have an elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm on my .375H&H Mag. I bought it from Jon at the optic zone about 2 years ago. The only thing that I don't like about my particular model is that it has a firefly reticle - which is too fat during the day - almost like the German reticle.

The bottom line is that, with this scope, I can shoot under 1/4" groups at 100 yards!  Yup, you read right.  That means that the 3200s are built to withstand very high recoil.  I do know that they make the 3200s in 3x-9x-40mm version, and I am certain that it can definately handle the lower recoil level of the .300 and still have excellent tracking and optics.

I highly recommend the Elite 3200!

Zachary