Author Topic: Extractor or Ejector  (Read 756 times)

Offline easttexashunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Extractor or Ejector
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:40:43 PM »
Which do you prefer and why?
I like the ejector because it lets me reload faster. Just wonderin what everyone else likes. Justin

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »
I like extractors over ejectors, makes collecting brass for reloading a lot easier. Quick reloads aren't a necessity, making the first shot count is. If quick reloads were necessary, muzzleloaders would be outa luck!! :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »
Extractors are my prefered...  except on my rimfire models, the I like ejectors.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »
iether one does not bother me,i can live with both styles.
bernie :D
if its feral its in peril

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:53:21 PM »
I have no experience with extractors, yet.  I don't think I will have a problem with them on center fire rifles.  However, I do think it would be really dumb to put them on rimfire and shotgun barrels.  Just my $.02.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 04:33:35 AM »
I have always prefered a ejector to an extractor..and up until now all of my Handi's have been ejectors...but that is about to change..I got 2 new barrels coming..a 25-06 & a 280..both will be extractors...so..we will see...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 04:40:42 AM »
I've had both. At the range one works as well as the other for me. I have no problems with cupping my hand over the ejector and catching the fired case. Hunting is a different story. And that is where the ejector shines. Get that fired case out of my way!! Also we have lots of cold weather here so quite often find myself hunting with gloves on. Then plucking fired cases out of extractors doen't work for me. I was sorry to see the ejectors go. The extractor was designed to prevent sticking cases, a problem which should not have been there to start with.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Hunternz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 08:06:20 AM »
My experience is only ejector and I  have the odd case getting stuck, annoying that I have to take a cleaning rod with me hunting, on reloading (full sizing) I check that each case ejects cleanly, on Saturday I shot a goat, the fired case ejected cleanly, wasn't a clean kill (shot to far back) so the dog and I tracked it into the bush and I gave it a finishing shot and yes the fired case failed to eject, so out with the cleaning rod and a tap to remove, next job is to put a manual extractor notch as per Freds instructions,
Regards Howard.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 08:40:12 AM »
The good folks at NEF told me the reson of a-lot of the problems with cases failing to eject is because due to the many complaints they had recieved on cases ejecting to hard..the reduced they started putting a weaker spring in that drives the ejectors..and since this resulted in many stuck cases..they opted to make extractors...Funny...they never seem to ask us about these things..just some poll data they get from somewhere :-D

Mac

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 08:54:49 AM »
Since I am primarily a woods hunter and recreational shooter more than strictly a benchrest shooter I prefer the (more expensive) ejectors. They are far superior for my shooting preferences. My prediction stands that in the future ejector fitted barrels will command a premium on the used barrel market over the newer and cheaper to produce extractor fitted barrels....<><....  :grin:

Mac!!!.....You mean they feel if they just left the original stronger spring in the ejectors that would have alleviated most of the ditry chamber/ stuck case syndrom? Holy cow, to think that for a few who thought the guns  ejected TOO hard this whole fiasco occurred!!!!!............ :(  :x  :shock:  :oops:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
The good folks at NEF were lying. I sent several barrels (One 223 twice) barrels back for sticking. They never mentioned spring strength. They just finished the polishing of the chamber, like they should have before the rifle/barrel first went out the door.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 11:45:54 AM »
Thanks Wally, thats more in line what I had previously thought, that a rough or dirty chamber would lead to sticky ejection of fired shells....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 06:20:16 PM »
The good folks at NEF were lying.

I rather doubt it wally..it makes perfect sense in this lawsuit happy world..I'm not disputing the fact that you had crappy chambers..but the folks I talk to at NEF have always been spot on with me.

Tell me something..if you could eliminate a problem without spending a whole bunch of labor time, wouldn't you? Think about it..reduce spring tension..eliminates a potential lawsuit..ie..getting smacked in the eye with a shell casing(it's happened)..simple fix right...wrong...since they opted to do this instead of polishing the chamber..now what do we get...where as before..even on the old H&R forum..the majority of stuck cases was because of guys firing mil-spec's ammo in them..not regular cartridges...and what was everyone moaning about..."They wanted extractors"..I distinctly remember how many threads there were on this..and even then folks were saying to put a blocker behind the spring to increase thje tension...so now..they have been bombarded with calls about stuck cases...and even here there has been several threads on converting the ejectors to extractors remember..so..what does NEF do???..Simple..they resurect a old idea of theirs..and wammo...now all of them will be extractors...end of problem..no more stuck cases...and they still don't have to spend the labor on polishing the chamber...

No...I don't think they lied to me...or anyone else that would take the time to call and ask..

Mac

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 07:15:55 PM »
Pretty good spin. Stop and listen to yourself.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 07:27:54 PM »
It's what I was told..and makes pretty good sense as was explained to me..

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 01:21:15 AM »
Personally I would rather have the Ejector. Extractor are ok for target stuff and all, but I like the option of it being popped or flung out of my chamber if I want it too. Either way I'm going to retreive my brass if I want to.
-Aaron

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 02:49:56 AM »
:D I think  Mac11700 hit the nail on the head.....good job!  The l?ws?!t thing with the ejector hitting them bench shooters in the eyes....I bet it was top of there list for getting rid of ejectors.....I hate to say it I bet we will NEVER see ejectors produced again.......I wish it was an order opption you could get it either way.....And i would choose EJECTOR

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Extractor or Ejector
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 03:02:00 AM »
I agree myarmour and Bluffhunter, thats why I believe in the future the ejector fitted barrels will command a premium in the used barrel market, especially for those of us that hunt with these fine little guns. Get them while you can, they may unfortunately be a thing of the past. And to think, again lawyers and the percieved threat of a lawsuit may have figured into the equasion of why we lost something good....<><.... :roll: