Author Topic: Scheels Debacle over a KIMBER TLE II  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Danegeld

• Trade Count: (0)
Scheels Debacle over a KIMBER TLE II
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:46:50 AM »
OK, here is a gripe for ya with some information left out.  I consider myself a pretty calm fellow, even when it gets stressful I try to look at the positive.  But this situation has just about pushed me to the edge.

I recently bought a Kimber TLE II and after about 500 rounds thru it the thumb safety broke when the slide caught it.  Looked like a manufacturing tolerance problem I was told.  This is happened on the 22th of Feb and I returned it to Scheels (where purchased) in Hometown, SD the same day.  The gun mgr assured me the turnaround would be very fast just a week or 10 days.  I also ordered adjustable rear sights added which I would have to pay for myself, no problem...  

The staff seemed confused at this request and was sure it wasn't possible.  I knew it was do-able after contacting Kimber myself and even getting the cost for the machining of the slide.  Never-the-less I was told they would let me know if anything went wrong and when it was be sent out.

The next day, Thursday the 23rd of Feb I received a call saying all was well.  I  assumed the gun was on it's way to NY.  Fast-Forward to Friday the 10th of March.  I get a call from the Scheels in Another City, SD wanting to know exactly what I wanted done to the pistol.  They seemed confused as to why the pistol had arrived there.  I explained what was supposed to have happened and was really getting steamed when I discovered it had just arrived there the day before, only 360 miles from where I live...

After instructing the Scheels in Another City, SD to send the gun to NY, and getting their assurance that they would do it I called the Hometown store and asked to speak to the gun mgr.  He acted surprised but somehow knew the situation was a problem already and said he would find out what happened and call me back.  This was 10:00AM Friday the 10th of March...

I hadn't received a return call from Scheels as of this (13 Mar) morning so I drove down to the store this AM and asked to see the gun mgr.  When ***** came out and saw me he did a 180degree turn and went back into the store room.  Next I heard the loud speaker call for assistance to the gun section.  A few minutes later a young man came up to me and I told him the problem.  He sounded skeptical and even asked if I even owned the weapon,  I remained firm and explained my story again.  I pulled out my receipt and service tag and when he saw these he immediately went into the back store room and got the gun mgr.  The gun mgr. then went into the 'DUMB/I don't remember you game' and I showed him my receipts and reminded him of the call on Friday.  He then became (really) almost combative and crazy.  He accused me of backdooring his authority and making up how long ago I'd dropped off the gun??? and then asked to see my ID and Concealed Carry card.  I shown him both along with the receipt and he disappeared along with these into the back store room again.

Now get this, STORE SECURITY is all around the section by now.  He comes back out sees me again and disappears again.  I ask the security guys to go "Get the store Mgr and get him now!"  They disappear and come back with **** who's on the phone now talking to the Another City Scheels.  He hangs up and says the weapon is being mailed back to Hometown Store, over-night express and from there it will be sent over-night express to NY, that's the best he can do, he turns to leave.  I ask him firmly for my receipt, cc card, and work order tag.  He shoves them back at me and disappears yet again.

This isn't my first rodeo, so upon returning to the office I call Scheels in Another City and ask if the weapon is being sent over-night FEDEX back to Hometown Store, they say yes but not over-night.  I explain the situation to a really nice lady and she agrees to send it overnight FEDEX (course I had to pay for it) to the Scheels in Hometown.  About a half hour later the same lady calls me with the tracking number.  I then call the RC store and ask to speak to the gun mgr again.  When he finally gets on the phone I ask him to take a FEDEX tracking number down and look for the pistol this evening or tomorrow.  There is just silence on the other end of the line...

Now, I've spent close to $1800 at this store over the past few months and I will say the few time I'd dealt with this individual he always seemed in CRISIS mode, know what I mean???

Take Care
Ben

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
I'm confused as to why people with bad service complaints don't list names and locations.  We would all benefit and presenting it in this manner only helps those who have made the mistakes.

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
Chuckle, there are ONLY two stores in the state, and they're in the largest cities.

Ben

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 03:04:50 PM »
There are only two stores in your whole state that sell guns?  I've been pheasant hunting in south dakota several times, and i think i remember going to at least 2 different gun shops.

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 12:06:19 AM »
Quote from: dukkillr
There are only two stores in your whole state that sell guns?  I've been pheasant hunting in south dakota several times, and i think i remember going to at least 2 different gun shops.

Re-read the post.  Then again, just don't worry about it...

Ben

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »
Just for the record dukiller, I'm not confused by the original post and I'm guessing 99% of the rest of the viewers aren't either.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 11:39:37 AM »
I guess i didn't explain myself clearly.  What I don't understand is why you don't list names and places.  Sure, it's not difficult to decode, but why bother?  

Let me rephrase:  What is the advantage of not listing names and places?

That's what I'm confused about.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 11:54:14 AM »
:wink: If you want results you have to tell it like it is, names, dates, times and places.  Hold their hands to the fire, after all you are the customer.  And if possible, take it over their head, go directly to the owners.  Additionally,  it wouldn't hurt to drop something in writing to Kimber, I am sure they like to know how THEIR customers are being handled by the middle man. JMHO. :wink:

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
The only mistake I made was not being a regular or a (perceived) high-roller$$$ who walked around and talked down to the staff with a fake accent and an Australian outback hat.

When I walked in a month ago I knew what I wanted (Kimber TLE) and just walked over and asked to see one then paid $850 for it.  Took about 30 minutes with all the paperwork.  I was wearing a tee-shirt, blue jeans, cap and boots.  The whole time the salesperson was trying to get me to buy stuff I didn't need or want.

Fast forward, when I went back a few days later and dropped almost $800 on a Leupold VX-L scope they unlocked the case and left me to myself.  I found the scope, put it in the box and walked ot the checkout and paid right there.  It was when I got home I found out they never gave me my bore-sighting kit or gun-cleaning kit.  No matter I didn't need one, but the service was terrible.

Even thought I live pretty close to Scheels I usually get my ammo and hunting license at Wal-Mart or ACE, LOL :)  Hardly ever ever went to the place cause I never needed anything from there.

Because I'm not a cookie cutter gun store groupie or a Duke of Earl from Ireland I shouldn't have been treated like I was when I wanted to know the status of my handgun.  I went to the store after calling and requesting the same information with no answer as to why it was taking so (3 weeks and not even out of South Dakota) long.  I was called a liar and troublemaker with an armed store guard hovering near me.  I had the documentation to prove my case and Jerry the gun mgr tried to get off with that as well!

When it returns and I have to pay for the repair (yeah, they aren't covering the broken safety!!!) I'm going to go the Mgr and if that doesn't work I'll contact the owner.  Not sure how, but I will...

Ben

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 04:15:30 AM »
UPDATE -- (one month, 22 Feb 06 annivsary since returning the damaged pistol to Scheels in Rapid City) Just got off the phone with Kimber and the order was received on the 16th of this month.  They said to expect a 7-10 day turn around.  I asked was that from the 15th and was told "No that's from today, because the slide has to be milled".

I asked to speak to the Custom Shop supervisor and will have to wait for him to call me as he's unavailable at this time.

:( :( :(
Ben

Offline Pinkerton

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 04:58:57 PM »
Hello Ben,

I've made 2 firearms purchases from the RC Scheels over the last year, the only reason I purchased these two from them is because Scheels is a distributor for Davidson's firearms and Davidson's runs some good sales. But Scheels won't tell you that unless you walk in and say,
 "Davidson's is running this sale until (given date) for this much, on this gun, and this how many their website says they have in stock. Call them and order one for me, ask them to look them over and pick out a good one or the purchaser won't accept it and they'll have to send another until they get it right"   you have to walk them through the process and then check with them every day to make sure they're getting it done.

If the gun manager is the one I'm thinking of, avoid him, he can't find his butt with both hands. Find one particular person and deal with that person only on that particular purchase is the best advice I can give you for that store.

The best shop in RC is First Stop on 7th street, their prices are usually better than Scheels. And typically any one person on the First Stop staff has more knowledge than the combined staff of Scheels, and if they don't thier customer service is still way better. If they where Davidson's distributors I would have made the two purchases there instead.

Jack First gunshop over on turbine drive went out of the retail buisness but they continue to do parts and gunsmithing, they are an authorized warrenty repair center for a number of manufactures and might be a good resource in the future if you want to avoid Scheels.

Good Luck.  :D

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 03:46:06 AM »
Yes, I know about both of those places.  First Stop & Jack First.  I actually went to First Stop and found a better price ($30 cheaper) at Scheels.  Now I see why :(

Still Nothing
Ben

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 03:56:52 AM »
It's over.  I picked up the pistol yesterday after they called and said it had been returned on Tuesday.  The initial cost was $410, but after speaking to the store mgr, (Oh yeah, I talked to him) it was knocked down to just the cost from Kimber for the machine work, $140.  I also received a profound apology with a promise to get to the bottom of it all.

Jerry (gun manager) was no place to be found along with all the paperwork of me purchasing the weapon in the first place, yeah really.  The only proof available that I'd purchased the pistol from the store was a copy of the work order from the 22nd of February and my Bill Of Sale, jeez...

Shoots like a charm :-)

Take Care
Ben

Before

After, with new adj. sights