Author Topic: R & D conversion cylinder  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
R & D conversion cylinder
« on: March 14, 2006, 05:44:34 AM »
I am thinking about getting an R & D cylinder for my ROA. You guys that have them like them? What kind of velocity can i get with colt 45 cowboy loads? Anyone have one they would be willing to sell or trade out of?

Thanks, Tad :D

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
RD conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:50:26 AM »
I like mine.  I haven't measured the velocity, just figured it would be more or less the same as in any other revolver with the same length barrel.  Accuracy was better than I am with a single action revolver.

One point to be aware of.  The earlier version had half way notches between chambers for a hammer safety rest.  Later versions have dropped this in favor of a little cut out in the side to make the cartridge rim visible as a loaded chamber indicator.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »
I was torn between the R&D and the Kirst convertors. I had seen folks shooting both and all seemed to like them both and no one I talked with had anything bad to say about either brand.
I came upon a deal for a couple of Kirsts in nickle to use in my 5 1/2 stainless ROAs and bought them. I really like them a lot. I guess you might say I like the Kirsts better after actually using them. Here is why. The Kirst uses just the one rebounding firing pin. The outer section stays in one place while the cylinder indexes. The Kirst has that really neat funnel shaped groove that allows the cylinder to be installed from the right side and eases the hand bak into its slot. The flat on the bottom of the outer section glides into the frame. I can install a converter as fast as a cylinder in a remington.
When at the loading table with the Kirst it is very easy for the loading table officer to see there is no round under the hammer. The fired 45lc cases simply fall out of the cylinder when at the unloading table.
The only thing I can say about them that would be negative is that after many rounds, the nickle is stained and does not match up with the stainless ROAs like they did when they were new.
It is a lot of fun to shoot a conversion and the main reason I got mine was because I had signed up to far away shoots as frontiersman and when I got there I was told there was not enough for a class. They would move me to FCD and I would shoot that C&B. With the converters, I can now shoot either class and feel more at home with the others I compete with.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Tad Houston

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »
Thanks guys. Wow, the prices on those kirsts are as much as i paid for the whole gun! :eek:  Sure would be cool though!

Offline Flint

conversion
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »
If you look at a Kirst or an R&D cylinder and backplate you will realize they are made to tighter tolerances, machined better, finished better and made of better material than the gun you're putting it in, therefore explaining  the price.

They will probably outlast the revolver they are put in (unless it's a Ruger) so the gun becomes the throw-away part......
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 05:00:55 PM »
If it's still there check out CASCITY.com
 There is a feller over there with one for sell. Don't know the guy or anything about him but thought ya might like to know.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Tad Houston

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
Thanks, looked for it, but coulndnt find it.