Author Topic: You don't shop at Wallmart do you  (Read 4622 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
You don't shop at Wallmart do you
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:06:23 AM »
I have decided that I do not like the Wallmart chain. They came into a local college town, put up a big store and are putting the local shops, gun shops as well as others, out of business. I think we need to support the small guys. Shotgunner.
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Georgian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:17:14 AM »
I wish I could never go back there againa because of the crappy service they give. Wal-Mart has the worst employees I have ever seen in my life. None will hardly ever smile at you, they all seem to always have a down-trodden look, maybe it is b/c Wal-Mart has them all brainwashed, which is a viable possibility, lol. I mean I went to Winn-Dixie today, and I got better service, faster service time, and the people were actually nice, and asked what I needed help with. Good luck finding that in Wal-Mart. I used to like Wal-Mart to and extent, now I despise having to go there. My Wal-Mart has around 30 checkout lanes, but on any given day on 10 or so are open. And each lane is back all the way out to the isle. The cashiers are so rude also, it is extremely hard to find one that will at least even notice your existence. So, I wish Wal-Mart would have a major competitor that actually cared about people, but that is also a rarely found commodity these days........
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
The common misconception is that WalMart employees are human. That is not the case. Each generation of new employees is better than the previous one, but at the current rate of progress it looks like it will be a while before they've got all the bugs worked out.
Safety first

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 12:35:23 PM »
Gee. we must be shopping at different Wal Marts.  Good service, friendly people, great prices.  And they are good citizens, supporting local charities and schools.  
I can maybe understand why someone would want to pay three times the price for inferior goods but I need to stretch my dollars as far as possible.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
I live on a fixed income and I will shop where ever I get the best price. If that is walmart so be it. In our town one of the local grocery chain stores closed that was the closest to walmart and some folks blamed walmart. That store was due to close anyway as hardly no one shopped there. the other two stores they have in town do better but their prices are still too high and they are a distant third in business volume. The other local grocery store in town that is a small chain has not lost any business that I can see because their prices have always been fair so I shop  that store and walmart and cherry pick the bargains. If a walmart in town is keeping the other business'es honest  in keeping the prices lower that works for me.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 08:42:53 PM »
Well for some reason or another my Wal-Mart's service has gone to hell in a handbasket, so go figure, lol.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Gary in NH

• http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/index.html
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 12:23:22 AM »
There are 3 Walmarts within a 40min drive from me, all of them have been a joy to shop at! Good service, polite and professional employees, clean stores, great prices. When the first one was put up about 12yrs ago there was debate about them putting other stores out of business. The stores that were worried about that are the specialty stores that only tourists shop at. For many years there has not been anything like Walmart or other department stores in this area for the locals to shop at. Walmart has been a big boom to this region and I am glad they put up with all of the bull**** that the anti-s threw at them. I shop at Walmart every week and have no plans on changing.
\"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.\"  by Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 02:51:48 PM »
I shop at Walmart because :

A)Walmart has  a scholarship program for it's high school age employees.

B) Walmart hires the aged..folks that need the job, but already have some kind of health insurance.

C) Walmart hires the handicapped..and not just "tokenism" either

D) If Walmart has what I want, the price beats anyone else.

E) Not all my nearest Walmart gun-counter employees are well versed in guns but they do have one that is VERY well versed and a second that is quite well versed.
  ..But then, I should do my research BEFORE I get to the counter..

F) When a product doesn't satisfy me..I can return it to Walmart without a lot of whining on their part..

G) Not all Walmart products are domestically produced...but their competition is no better..

H) Walmart generously supports local charities and good works.

I) The health insurance deal is largely overblown...most employees are either high schoolers, handicapped, aged or wives of men who carry such insurance for their families...
   I confess, I don't know what the insurance situation is..may all be union "hype".

J) Unlike K-mart or Target (French firm), Walmart still has guns and ammo.

K) Unlike Target, the Salvation Army is still rimgs their bell in front of Walmart.

L) Unlike Target, K-mart, Penney's etc  (and COSTCO ?) , Walmart's honors our local troops with a " wall of honor "...God Bless them !!

Last but not least, the reason I will be shopping more at Walmart is:

All this ruckus and lawsuits against Walmart is just the union's way of trying to force their way into Walmart...

If that were to happen:

1) Prices would rise precipetiously.

2) Prices would have to rise since there would be "job descriptions"..( e.g. the guy that brings the carts in would not be allowed to wipe them down and couldn't sweep the entry floor either).

3) Service would deteriorate, since there would be little incentive to " excel" .

4) The "fringes" would raise prices and costs to a point where Walmart would no longer be able to be tops in the field..

5) One of their big competitors, COSTCO is a  huge liberal/leftist contributor and would like to see Walmart dammaged.

7) Adding to the cost of doing business they would have to give employees more money so they in turn could support  fat union bosses sitting in a luxury offices...

..Since as I see it, this is nothing more than an attempt by parasite union bosses to force Walmart into their "area of domination"...I will continue to support Walmart..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 04:33:33 PM »
The reason good help is hard to find a walmart is the very high turnover rate, 50-60% is normal. They like, and push for a high turnover, therefore keeping wages low. Better to pay a starting rate than give anyone a raise. That, of course, means there are not a lot of experienced folks on the floor. If you go to walmart and actually get what you went for, it's in SPITE of mgt, not because of them. Older, experienced employees are routinely pressured to try and get them to quit, or find ways to fire them, they can be replaced at a much lower rate. The longer you work there, the more your job is in jeapordy. A dept mgr was fired for taking too long a break, she'd been there 12 years. Their own rules are that she be warned first, then written up, then a decision day, then fired. They don't do that anymore, no warnings, just fired.
They schedule folks at stupid hours, like work til 11 pm tonight, be back at 7 am in the morning. They won't give set schedules, and split up days off, they want total control over their employees lives. This is their way of saying, I own you. Can't make plans even a week or 2 ahead because days off are not together, or stay the same. Stupid stuff like that is done to insure a high turnover. They brag about being family oriented, but refuse to cooperate with employees with kids. They have cut hours to older employees, and hired new ones. Unless you make yourself available 24-7, you are NOT eligible to transfer to other depts, or advance. Won't work Sundays?? Not eligible either, its against federal law to discriminate, but they do. A district mgr was overheard 2 years ago telling the store mgr to lean on the older employees to get them to quit, or find ways to fire them. One woman was fired for buying a box of Christmas cards instead of throwing them out, she worked there 18 years. As you may have guessed, I work for them. Lots of stories I could tell. I've been there 3 and 1/2 years and fear for my job daily. I worked sporting goods for several months, they told me that my not working Sundays was not a problem, they lied. I was forced out because I would not compromise my beliefs against Sunday work. I loved it in sporting goods, and was darned good at it. Walmart doesn't care about employees, or their customers, only MONEY. I need that job, so I keep quiet. POWDERMAN.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline powderman

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 04:35:37 PM »
The reason good help is hard to find a walmart is the very high turnover rate, 50-60% is normal. They like, and push for a high turnover, therefore keeping wages low. Better to pay a starting rate than give anyone a raise. That, of course, means there are not a lot of experienced folks on the floor. If you go to walmart and actually get what you went for, it's in SPITE of mgt, not because of them. Older, experienced employees are routinely pressured to try and get them to quit, or find ways to fire them, they can be replaced at a much lower rate. The longer you work there, the more your job is in jeapordy. A dept mgr was fired for taking too long a break, she'd been there 12 years. Their own rules are that she be warned first, then written up, then a decision day, then fired. They don't do that anymore, no warnings, just fired.
They schedule folks at stupid hours, like work til 11 pm tonight, be back at 7 am in the morning. They won't give set schedules, and split up days off, they want total control over their employees lives. This is their way of saying, I own you. Can't make plans even a week or 2 ahead because days off are not together, or stay the same. Stupid stuff like that is done to insure a high turnover. They brag about being family oriented, but refuse to cooperate with employees with kids. They have cut hours to older employees, and hired new ones. Unless you make yourself available 24-7, you are NOT eligible to transfer to other depts, or advance. Won't work Sundays?? Not eligible either, its against federal law to discriminate, but they do. A district mgr was overheard 2 years ago telling the store mgr to lean on the older employees to get them to quit, or find ways to fire them. One woman was fired for buying a box of Christmas cards instead of throwing them out, she worked there 18 years. As you may have guessed, I work for them. Lots of stories I could tell. I've been there 3 and 1/2 years and fear for my job daily. I worked sporting goods for several months, they told me that my not working Sundays was not a problem, they lied. I was forced out because I would not compromise my beliefs against Sunday work. I loved it in sporting goods, and was darned good at it. Walmart doesn't care about employees, or their customers, only MONEY. I need that job, so I keep quiet. POWDERMAN.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 07:19:18 PM »
Good Post Ironglow. Powderman I am not doubting you a bit. I do think that every store is different and every Manager is too and some are jerks who can ruin a store. Happens other places than Walmart too. I think you may have had a bad store I know the local Walmart has had some of the same employees for years and they are happy and I know they must get raises or they would not stay.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »
I) The health insurance deal is largely overblown...most employees are either high schoolers, handicapped, aged or wives of men who carry such insurance for their families...
I confess, I don't know what the insurance situation is..may all be union "hype".

I like this especially... But I liked it all.  Good post.

Offline Questor

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 01:17:35 AM »
My take on the whole debate is a little more pragmatic: If you can't live on the wages and don't like the insurance, then do something else. Nobody's forcing you to work at some low-grade grunt job that requires no skill.  Crack a friggin book and learn something that someone will pay you to do.
Safety first

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »
I have to take Powderman's report seriously..he has always been a straight-shooter...so I cannot doubt what he says.
  I do hope the experiences he mentioned are only peculiar to his local store.
  In any case, I do believe that such info doesn't invalidate what I posted..but does furnish another view..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »
The  walmart I work for today is in name only what I went to work for almost 4 years ago. I got 3 raises the first year, once a year since. There are 2 raises, nobody gets the top anymore, it's a new system they devised about 2 years ago. My last raise was the lower one, I'd NEVER gotten less than the top raise. All merit raises were stopped about 2 years ago, so once a year is it, no matter how hard you try. Last year we got a profit sharing check of about $700. About a year ago they announced a NEW way to figure our bonus. Half would be based on profits a certain % ABOVE last years. The 2nd half would be based on # of customer accidents. We were told we could get up to a $2,600 bonus. I knew then that we would be screwed. Although our profits were above last year, we didn't meet the goal that they set for us. They allowed us a bit over 1/2 of the accidents that we had the prior year. According to our figures, we were within that goal. They told us on Saturday we had $500 coming. On Monday they said that their figures showed us being 2 accidents over. Most customer accidents are usually the fault of the customer, or mgt for not having enough help on the floor. We worked hard to keep accidents at a minimum. Needless to say, we got no bonus, just like they planned. I talked to folks in 11 walmarts and found that NONE of them got a bonus this year. I read on fox news about the bonuses paid to the big shots. One RETIRED exec got a salary of $1,000,033,000 + a bonus of $2,885,000. All of the mgrs not only got their bonuses, but got raises too. The folks that made the extra billions for them got nothing. WE used to have a drawing once a week where we put our register receipts in a box and the slips were drawn, we got up to $50 back on our purchases, one for each shift or $150 per week. We also had safety drawings each week we were accident free for $50. Both of these were stopped over 2 years ago.
When I first went to work for them, I felt a real bond there, almost like a family. I told my wife that I wish I had gone there years ago. Corporate greed is ruining walmart. They are putting high profits above customers, and employees. We used to be able to believe mgt, now we can't. Their word is not worth much. At my age, I will stay right where I am. I've done a lot worse, for a lot less, but I really hate to see things the way they are. Today we had to help unloads trucks, that meant there was nobody working paper, pets, chemicals, pop and water, groceries, or meat dept past 2 pm. Customers were on their own. Yesterday morning I gave 11 customer assists in the first 2 hours. How many customers went without today??? We'll never know. The new dist mgr had the benches removed from the store because they looked cluttered to her. The benches were popular with older  folks, disabled, or people waiting on their spouses. Due to customer complaints some of the benches are back, but not all. I work there, and shop there, but  your bargains come at a price. POWDERMAN.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 05:47:51 PM »
Well Charlie if your getting taken to the cleaners by the company I hate to hear that, your a great guy, but to be honest even with the union places there is no such thing as Job security anymore no matter where you work or for who. Used to be you could work until you retired  at a job and as long as you did your work all was ok it seemed. Now days that is not the case most folks work many jobs before they retire for various reasons not all of them good. I hope in the future it gets straitened out for you. All I know is I shop where  I can get a bargain and am happy when I find one.

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 06:13:01 PM »
JH45GUN. KY law basicaly says they can hire, or fire at will, no reason needed, Indiana the same I believe. I cancelled my reservations for our family reunion this year, can't afford it now. Lots of vacation plans cancelled by other folks, several said they had planned to buy new glasses, pay bills, etc. Our only local gunshop closed after 52 years because of walmart. He said they could sell for less than he paid whsle. They are building 1500 new stores, a total monopoly is their goal/ They were turned down for a beer license in Evansville, there were already 15 retailers for beer and wine within 1/2 mile of them. Helping the public is a sham, they want total control. POWDERMAN.  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »
Just a thought and I do not know if this could be the reason or not or if it is even on the right track but could it be that old Sam Walton cared for his employees and now that he is dead and gone the company he founded has been taken over by corporate greed like so many others? I am not sticking up for wallyworld by no means I have no ties with them if some other big outfit came in to town that had as good as deals I probably would shop there too. I know my town has a Kmart that is getting to be a dump not very clean and not very busy plus they do not sell much sporting goods  anymore [thank rosie for that] (now sears owned??????) and the target store is clean but not very busy. So wally world is about it. I still buy most of my gun stuff at the local gun shop and support them.

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 12:19:19 AM »
my wife worked at wal mart for awhile they had her under part time status but worked her 40 hours a week but because of the part time status she wasnt elegible for any benfits. luckly she doesnt have to work there any more(now her job is staying home with our 20 month old daughter...which she says is a much tougher job :grin: ) we still shop at walmart though...good prices are the main reason. i have bought one gun from wal mart(remington 870 express). it was a good deal so i bought it. but the walmart gun selection usually isnt very impressive unless you are after a lower end gun. in my opinion wal mart isnt good but it isnt bad...its just walmart...

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.

Offline powderman

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 04:03:03 AM »
JH45GUN. If ol Sam could come back today, he would fire everyone from the top down through store mgrs. He cared about people, his own, and customers. My first mgr was like that. We went through hell with the next one for 2 years, the new one is even worse. They seem to be training their new mgt for a tougher line against older employees. The new mgr is from Liberia, and has only been with the co for 3 years. Another thing, if you go there and see someone on crutches, a cane, arm in a sling, or a cast on a leg greeting folks, that employee was hurt on the job and walmart won't allow workmans comp to be paid. Theres a cart pusher up there now greeting folks because his foot was run over in the parking lot. No going home to rest and heal, he has to stand there all day. Thats just one example, there are many more. I broke several ribs a couple of years ago. They told me to file a workmans comp claim, I refused because I knew that I needed rest at home to properly heal and I would not be able to. Most who do file are fired at the first opportunity.
The purpose of my posts was not  to keep folks from shopping there, I need the job. I simply want people to know the real walmart. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 07:03:15 AM »
They told me to file a workmans comp claim, I refused because I knew that I needed rest at home to properly heal and I would not be able to. Most who do file are fired at the first opportunity.

This is illegal in any state.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 07:10:57 AM »
When Wal-Mart came to town it was a blessing for the community.  Many families still drive to Southern Oregon to shop.  This has been the tradition for years.  Long before Wal Mart showed up.  A number of locals went out of business before Wal Mart and a couple afterwards.  A few of those businesses closed because the owners grew old and could no longer run the business.  They educated their kids who then moved to the larger cities to find high paying jobs.  

The end of major logging and the shuting down of sawmills had more to do with small business failure then the coming of Wal Mart.  Many of those who drove by town on their way to Oregon now stop at Wal Mart and spend a few dollars.(Many people would drive 50-100 miles to Medford, Ore and spend their checks because of the large number of stores and no sales tax.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline jpred1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 07:12:48 AM »
Walmart is here to stay,like it or not.
Still dreaming of that Boone and Crocket Pistol Kill!!!

Offline powderman

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
TM7. The retired exec received a salary of 1 MILLION, 33 thousand+ a 2 million eight hundred eighty five thousand $ bonus. Someone more computer literate than I can pull it up on the fox network, someone at work did, thats where I saw the copy. I put it on the bulletin board, it lasted several days before mgt took it down. The only local gun shop shut down after 52 years in business, John said that walmart sold guns for less than he paid whsle, and partly because of klintoons red tape. The new training films tell the new hires to be wary of employees that complain because they are a risk for theft and violence, they are encouraged to report these people for their own safety.
I'm proud of the work I do, I like helping people. If a customer asks about a product, and I don't know where it is, I take it personal and do my level best to find it. In most  cases, I can take them right to it. I just wish that it was like it used to be.
Good points. In most cases nobody stands over me. They give me a job and leave me alone because they know I'll be there. I don't need permission to help anybody, can go wherever I'm needed without questioning from mgt. I probably shouldn't have said all that I have said here, but I'm still upset over being cheated out of the bonus we've worked hard for a whole year for. They didn't just cheat us, they cheated our families too. We depended on that money to go to our family reunion, we cancelled our reservations, maybe next year. Rant over, I hope. POWDERMAN.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
Kinda figured with Old Sam gone things changed. Too bad.

Offline powderman

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 05:15:01 PM »
JH45GUN. Actually, it was Sams wife that suggested sharing the profits with the ones who actually did the work. She's old now, and probably has no idea how the workers are being screwed. Corporate greed will be the downfall of walmart. POWDERMAN.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 05:16:34 AM »
UUUHHHHHH, powderman, just a suggestion, maybe crack the books, go back to school, learn a trade, learn a skill, be of value in some field so they would seek you out and offer you big bucks to go to work for them.  Get a degree.  Upgrade yourself.  Then tell Wal-Mart to suck rocks and go where your talents are appreciated instead of hanging around in cyberspace whining and trashing-out the folks that are paying your salary.

90% of the jobs at Wal-Mart aren't rocket science.  They can be handled by 6th grade drop outs that in reality should be paid like 6th grade drop outs.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2006, 07:16:17 AM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
UUUHHHHHH, powderman, just a suggestion, maybe crack the books, go back to school, learn a trade, learn a skill, be of value in some field so they would seek you out and offer you big bucks to go to work for them.  Get a degree.  Upgrade yourself.  Then tell Wal-Mart to suck rocks and go where your talents are appreciated instead of hanging around in cyberspace whining and trashing-out the folks that are paying your salary.

90% of the jobs at Wal-Mart aren't rocket science.  They can be handled by 6th grade drop outs that in reality should be paid like 6th grade drop outs.

That may be great advice for a younger guy but for a older one it does not make sense as if your older try to get hired anywhere. Most companies are not going to invest money in a older worker that will retire in a couple of years. That is just the way it is and it is worse now in that respect than it ever was. I know several older guys that could not buy a job many got the excuse your over qualified LOL now who would not want some one that could do it all for them. No companies are gun shy of hireing older workers at least the ones are that are looking for young folks they can manage into what they want and figure they can invest in them as they will be around for a longer time. You would think a lot of companies would want some one with maturity and expirience but that is not always the case.

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »
Funny thing about corporate America, once their seemed an implied contract existed, you work hard for us and if we make money youÂ’ll will get a share.  If you work hard and stay with the company, when your older you will have a pension and health benefits.  Well it doesnÂ’t work that way anymore.

15 years ago, I started my own business, left a nice six-figure salary, expense account, pension, dollar for dollar 401k match, and a company car.  My spouse at the time decided I was crazy, as did my co-workers, and friends.  I make about a third of what I did with no benefits, but my former company was sold, has defaulted on their pension obligations, laid off the majority of my co-workers and ended retiree health care.

As I am solely responsible for my retirement, I invest.  Recently I was holding stock in a company (Ford) that announced it was closing several factories, and laying off 20 or 30 thousand workers, my stock increased by over $2 a share, and I sold it.  I had never before made money from an investment, in this manner.  I used to think you found companies with growth potential and then, with luck you rode along with their success.  However now I am finding that investing in troubled smoke stake industries, before they announce plant closings and massive lay offs is much easier and has been more profitable, then trying to predict the future success of a company.

GM has the potential to be a real money maker, they will probably close at least 10 more plants and lay off over 40,000 in the next few years, that should be good for 2 or 3 dollars a share, and if we are real lucky, Toyota may buy them and that should be good for close to $15 more a share.

If you look at the boards of directors and major stockholders, of major US corporations, you will find that many are interlocked, both individuals and institutional investors, they could care less about the worker, as their only concern is the return on investment from the means of production, not the welfare of the producer.  

Viewed globally the US is a mature market, so why bother; invest in China, India, and South America with growing populations and markets.  So what if US consumers donÂ’t have jobs or the ability to purchase your products, the plants you built in the emerging markets will higher workers and they will by your product, and your return on investment will not diminish, the only thing that will change is the source of revenue.  Just look at Wal-Marts announcement concerning China or Dells regarding India.  One day we will find that we live in a de-industrialized first world country, and hopefully like Britain, there is some economic super power, that for whatever reason, values you, and will insure our continued survival by providing for our defense and safe guarding our national interests in the world.

But donÂ’t worry it wonÂ’t happen for awhile, so keeping supporting policies that make it easier, buying bargains produced by people earning near slave wages, because the 5% of the population that controls over 90% of the wealth in this country appreciate it.  Take a look at your government, of the people by the people, not unless most of us are millionaires.  In the house of 435 members over 100 earn more than a million a year, in the senate of 100 members over 40 earn more than a million a year, yeah they share your values.  Think about it the median income for a US household is a little over $44,000 and we pay a legislator at least $165,200.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline jhm

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006, 09:00:56 AM »
fe352 I am just curious, Whats wrong with being worth a million or maybe 3 million, you talk about some people who have worked hard and done reasonably well in life as if they stole something from you, I for one am of the oppinion that those who usually run a Co. any Co. be it manufacturing or retailing usually has earned that position and salary from hard work and some sacrafices on their part, their isnt any business around where you cant find employes who THINK they know more than the person running the show, but those same employes wont take on the extra responsibilitys to do so, but are the first to complain if their 15 minute break isnt exactly 15 minutes each and everyday, I will be 60 in Oct. and have bn working at some kind of a job since I was 12 yrs. old bn fortunate enough to retire twice the 1st. time at the age of 34 and then again at the age of 53, I havent taken anything from any other workers in this country nor do I feel like I owe anyone anything because of it either and BTW it was all done with NO COLLEGE education so to those who want someone to feel sorry for them because of the type of Co. they are working for count me OUT, and Yes I went to Wal-marts shopping today.   JIM