Author Topic: You don't shop at Wallmart do you  (Read 4620 times)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
You don't shop at Wallmart do you
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2006, 07:02:26 AM »
Savage .250, good one Sir!!

Echo4Lima
I touched on some of those reasons before, of course some people have other reasons.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2006, 09:01:22 PM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
"social contract"  that's a new one on me.  So you're saying that the corporations have a "understanding" of unstated obligations to their workers?  Is that right? I would think that a corporation has an obligation to their customers.  Of providing quality goods at the best price.  

Actually, a corporation hass a (very legally binding) obligation to it's shareholders above all.  A shareholder is within their legal right to sue the company if they believe that they are taking an action that is not in the best interest of the company (which is generally taken to mean any action that would earn the company less profits than if a different action was taken).

All corporations are greedy soulless entities, because they're basically supposed to be that way.  Corporations with good customer service usually are making more money by doing this and keeping the customer or will go out of business soon.  Corporations with poor customer service are likely saving more money by not having good service than they are losing b/c of it . . . or they'll be going out of business soon.  They are all simply looking for the way to make the most money.  Sometimes that's by playing nice, sometimes it isn't, but they're very predictable beasts.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »
Mom and Pop shops started disapearing long before Walmart, Kmart and the other big chains come in. Sears, Wards, JC Penny, and other moderate size stores at the time helped. SO did the "MALL" concept. To blame just Wallmart for this when there were so many other varieables is just goofy. When our SuperWalmart showed up in town (They buit a new store and tore down the old one) ( Put up by Union workers because I knew a Union brick layer who worked there) every one said there goes the local grocery stores well they are still running except for one in a chain of 3 that had no business anyway. The biggest Groc store in town is still as busy as it ever was, Wally world did not hurt it at all. Part of the problem of the other store closing is that their prices are too high and they know it but they are situated in the outer laying area where it is convenient to go there as it is close so they depend on that to drag in customers. I go to Wallyworld and the other stores depending on the bargains and I think most other folks do too.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jhm

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2006, 03:50:01 AM »
Using the spanish people as a reason to NOT go to Wal-marts is a real streatch and I might ADD a pretty sorry one, I wont even use the posters name and give him any credit for that post, If you dont like Wal-marts just dont shop there, but lets not get so low as to add the race issue as you are only creating another set of issues, take a real good look around the area you live in and you will see every kind of nationality there is in this country, and yes in the last few years we have had a increase in the Mexican people come into this country, but if you really look around there has bn a increase in all of them wanting to come to this country and it isnt just to go to Wal-marts to go shopping, its because our country is giving everything away thanks to the liberal ideas, its our governments job to protect our boarders.  ADIOS  :D    JIM

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2006, 08:32:56 AM »
Nothing is hidden. Wallmart is hurting the small gun stores and the future of the shooting sports. It does not help that remington will cut a deal to sell 700s to wallmart at a price the local shops can't compete with. In my area they didn't come into a town that had other big stores, they moved into a college town where there were only mom and pop type businesses. There have been towns that fought them. It would be good for our children and grandchildren if we bought our ammo from smaller shops. I have always had small stores help me out when I was going to have the boyscouts work on a shooting badge, or the YHEC team needed a coach. Shop where you want, but think about the future. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
Shotgunner, thats the same complaint I heard 25 years ago about K Mart!!
The local gun store owner was complaining about Remington etal, selling in bulk and he not able to get the same price.

Guess what...thats the way it is with just about any wholesale supplier!!

Want a deal? BUY IN QUANTITY!!  I'm a contractor, I get a better price per whatever if I buy a pallet than if I buy 5!  Thats business!!

Oh wait!  I forgot!  Successful business' are supposed to LOOSE $$$$ so the unsuccessfull dont!!  Never mind the lousy business cant adapt and over come.  After all, that wouldnt be fair would it?

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2006, 05:01:10 PM »
Echo4Lima

You are right that quantity buying is not new. It's just that Walmart has learned how to do it better than anyone else & that makes folks mad!

When you are number 1, everyone is shooting at YOU!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
wal-marts must be different in different locations.
ours is the nastiest, trashiest, most poorly managed store i have ever been in.
you take what they have at the time they have it.
some things are cheap, others more than at other stores.
p.s. ours is a three year old supercenter
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2006, 04:28:44 AM »
Then don't shop there.  Wal Mart has an 800 number you can call and complain to.
To the folks in Bentonville, it all comes down to numbers.  They have the demographics and the historical data.  If you have x people in your area, then your store should yield x profits.  And competitive stores in the area are factored in.  If you can't produce, you don't stay.
They also have QA inspectors that travel around checking personnel and cleanliness.

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
my last word
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »
This is on to it's 3rd page. I will leave it at this. Shop where you want. Just don't write in one day that you wish there was someone around that could sell you a bullet mold or order you a Browning. I am going to keep on supporting my gun shop owners. I buy primers and wads 5000 at a time, and have ordered a half a ton of shot, so I know how to buy in quantity. The guy who placed the order owns a small shop and uses the profit he makes to go on a hunting trips. I will sleep well knowing I did my part and that my kids will be able to live the same lifestyle. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2006, 12:39:48 PM »
Oohhh Shotgunner, you are soooooo rightous, (make that self rightous)  :-D

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2006, 11:27:07 AM »
Shotgunner,  You make my point EXACTLY!!!  Spend your hard earned $$$'s like YOU want!!!!  That IS your power!!  

My beef about the Walmart thing is the idea some have about shutting down somethig, ANYTHING, just for the REAL reason that "they" dont LIKE it.

Sendero,  I like that #1 gets you shot at.....Thats great!!

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2006, 03:10:54 AM »
Beemanbeme

No need to get personal. I have made comments about a chain store. I never said anything about a person, his mother or his religion. You should keep it on topic. It is not intelligent to bash an individual for stating his position. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline superhornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2006, 08:23:16 AM »
It becomes readily apparent that while the Economics class at your school was being taught, some of you were in the Basket Weaving class. It is very basic.......this country is ran on what is called Capitalism...This system generates competition and those who cannot are soon out of the loop.....It is always sad when you knock a winner.....Walmart, as good as the best and better than the rest......

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
Job security? Doesn't exist, never did.
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »
I used to tell my students that if they shoveled cow manure into a fan at $0.25 an hour they still wouldn't have job security. The only "temporary" security is knowing how to make money for your company, and even that doesn't work if they get bought up.  
Consequently, when you get your first job, it's a real good idea to go back to school and start training for the next one, because you're going to need it.

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2006, 03:09:08 AM »
Superhornet

You also take the low road of personal attacks. Most sportsman are not that way. I hope that in the future we have better conversations. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2006, 06:41:20 AM »
I'd just like to point out that WalMart gets its sales in the sporting goods department because of impulse buying. You're in there for something else, and there's a cheap-o rifle in the nice plastic display case right in front of your face.

But think about this: Every year, millions of people buy front-loading washers, for example, instead of a top-loader, despite the fact that it's twice the price. Salesmanship counts for a lot, and WalMart doesn't have any sales staff.

Offline superhornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2006, 07:03:55 AM »
Shotgunner ???  The post was not an attack against anyone..and..if you took it that way, you are wrong..I would have a difference of opinion on many posts, but never attack anyone else who had a different one.  I stated only facts and not emotional outbursts.....IMHO :)

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »
The only thing I by at  Wal-Mart  is groceries, and clothing. I stopped buying outdoor stuff at Wal-Mart when Gander Mountain opeaned. I asked soem guy in the outdoors section if they had medium heavy fishing rods, the guy didn't know what a medium heavy rod was. So I waited until  Gander Mountain opeaned, and bought it there.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2006, 03:05:34 AM »
Superhornet

Telling people they studied basket weaving instead of economics is an insult, and anyone would take it that way. I have a masters degree and did not see basket weaving on any of the class selection sheets. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline superhornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2006, 06:41:48 AM »
Shotgunner--------for goodness sakes, snap out of it.  The post was a general statement and was not directed at any one person.  You are mad because Walmart will not let the Union get a foot hold....or...they do not readily support the Democratic party ???  Vote Democrat, its easier than getting a job.

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2006, 08:21:53 AM »
Superhornet

You again make assumptions. I am not mad. I am not pro-union and I am a registered Republican who votes in every election. Calling everyone a basket weaver is not better than calling one person a basket weaver. I do not want Wallmart to do anything. All I want to see is the people who are aciive in the shooting community support thier local gun shops. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline superhornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2006, 09:26:50 AM »
Shotgunner---you and I are not antipodal entities.  I did not post for the context to be conveyed as deleterious credo, but only to enlighten as to the concept of competition and its germane nature to capitalism.  None of my opinions were meant to be invidious or project a pilgarlic image in regards to or toward any other posters.   If I offended you by the basket weaving content, please, forgive me....IMHO

Offline aaronrkelly

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2006, 08:41:01 PM »
Quote from: ironglow
I shop at Walmart because :

J) Unlike K-mart or Target (French firm), Walmart still has guns and ammo.

K) Unlike Target, the Salvation Army is still rimgs their bell in front of Walmart.

L) Unlike Target, K-mart, Penney's etc  (and COSTCO ?) , Walmart's honors our local troops with a " wall of honor "...God Bless them !!

These three particular reasons are flawed and based on false information.  Dont believe all the emails your read......

Target is not French....US based from from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

My Target has the Salvation Army ringing away......

Target is one of the sponsors of the "Wall that Heals" - the moving Vietnam memorial and museum......in addition to donating 2 million dollars weekly to other charitable causes.

Check the facts here:

Snopes
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

The VFW
http://www.vfw.org/news/target.htm

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
This goes on and on
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2006, 07:26:23 AM »
First off, Superhornet, all is forgiven, it is always good to hear from someone who has well thought out opinions, even if they don't agree with mine. As far as the last post, are there only 3 or 4 stores to shop at? I live out in the sticks, and drive an hour to go to any kind of big store, but have a choice when I get there. I don't shop at K-Mart either, or Target for that matter. I have a cousin who calls me from the Detroit area to have me look for guns for him. He says there are no good gun shops where he is. Is this where we are headed? I had a friend who runs a little store and goes to a half dozen gun shows a year order him a 700 CDX in 280 Rem. last year. Seems the Wallmart near him only had plastic stocked 700 ADLs in 30-06.
Shotgunner

P.S. yes I know the stock material has another name, maybe my next thread should be a wood vs. plastic stock thing.
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2006, 02:19:04 AM »
TM7

Great post. Maybe it will get people to think. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jrdudas

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2006, 11:43:23 AM »
OK, I can't restrain myself.  Personally I have no position on the Walmart issue; I think the truth about them is somewhere between the two most extreme opinions.  What I must respond to however, is the statements by a responder that company CEO's are there because they earned their position through hard work and sacrifice.  Now that may have been true some years ago, but today that is mostly untrue.  Today's CEO's are a close community of managers with MBA's in business that have virtually no experience with the product or service that they manage.

I am retired from Lucent Technologies.  Under their last three CEO's my 401K worth went from $86 dollars a share to $.63 a share.  It is currently below $3 a share.  It's true that some of that loss is the result of the bursting of the "Tech Bubble", but an overwhelming cause of that loss is mismanagement.  When I retired in 2001 my health care benefits cost me $14 per month for family coverage.  Today those same benefits would cost approximately $625 per month.  In 2005 the current CEO announced that the company contributions to dependent health care premiums for retired management employees were being discontinued.  Within a week's time of that announcement Lucent announced that the CEO bonus, paid in addition to her normal salary, for the year was $12,000,000.

Looks to me like the hard work and sacrifice fell at the feet of someone other than the CEO.

JR

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2006, 06:27:12 AM »
JR

You make some real points. It is good to have someone who speaks from personal experience. While you comment on two different companies, I think it is fair to compare them. Sometimes big business gets too big. I hope your retirement goes well. I guess if you are well enough to hunt, fish or shoot there is something to be positive about.
Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt