Author Topic: I need tips on shooting a Big Buck!  (Read 1657 times)

Offline HuntingGirl2005

• Trade Count: (0)
I need tips on shooting a Big Buck!
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:18:18 AM »
I am 10 and want to kill a big buck
Please answer these questions that follow.
1. What gun to use
2. What bullets to use?
3. What scent stuff to use
4. What other stuff would be good to bring?
5. What kind of day is better to go on, Windy, Rainy, Sunny, CLoudy?

THANKS!
 :toast:  :devil2:  :music:  :coffee:  :gun4:  :biggun:  :sniper:
Jasmine Alexis Kay Smith

Offline flintlock

I need tips on shooting a Big Buck!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 06:50:57 AM »
1) .243

2) Either 100gr Remington CoreLokts, 100gr Hornady Custom Interlocks
or 100gr Federal Premium Sierra Gamekings...depending on which your gun shoots best...any of the 3 will do the job.

3)I would not use scents until you have several years of experience, because you can actually scare off more deer than you attract if you don't know which scent to use at certain times of the season...Millions of deer were killed before scents were marketed to the general hunting public.

4)A lot of patience, something good to eat and drink, maybe a good book, a cell phone, a compass, proper clothing to keep you warm, mosquito repellant if its hot, a flashlight, binoculars....and your dad.

5)The best day to go hunting or fishing is whenever you can get permission from the lady of the household (mom)....Its still the same for me ...and I have been married 27 years....

If you have your pick....watch the Weather Channel and go the day before a front is moving in (a dropping barometer).

Good Luck....Let us know how you do.

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
Re: I need tips on shooting a Big Buck!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:33:51 AM »
O.K. Here goes,
Not sure how big ya are at 10 but my daughter could handle a 243 by then.I think maybe the 90grain would be better and you definitly get better ballistics(flatter shooting)
With rounds this small bullet placement is everything so practice,practice and more practice.
The best time for a chance to kill a big buck for anyone is during the rut(find out when it is in area hunted)
Also need to be up off the ground if possible.
Remember that you must be able to pass up smaller bucks to get to the big one's.
Most will tell you that you need the wind in your face but my belief is that you should be off to the side of where you expect to see the deer so they don.t come in behind you with the wind in their face.(they ain't stupid)
Hope this helps.
Good luck and good Hunting
Rock
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline huntmdown

• Huntmdown
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:05:59 AM »
HuntingGirl2005,
Did you decide on a gun?  8)
my sweeter insanity... www.huntmdown.com

Offline southernpride

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 03:42:12 PM »
For guns I would go with a NEF Handi-Rifle in 7mm/08.  Good caliber, very little recoil, and better ballistics than a 243.  Scents and calls can wait until you are more experienced in hunting in my opinion. 

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 03:51:28 PM »
When you get the secret all wrapped up, I'll buy it from you... ;D

I'm not really kidding, but these guys are right.  Lay off the fancy stuff until you understand exactly when and why to use it.  The .243 is an excellent rifle, I've killed a few deer with it and they don't stay on their feet long.

Patience and persistence is the key.  I'll bare my soul here and tell you that I'm going into my 19th hunting season and have YET to shoot a buck, let alone a big one.

Like I said, when you get it all wrapped up, I'll buy it.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline wecole

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 11:56:47 AM »
HuntingGirl,  First off, make sure you take a hunter safety course from your State, and go into the woods only when accompanied by an experienced and licensed adult.

If you do those two things you will have a fun and safe time even if you don't bag a deer.