Author Topic: Home Defense Shotgun??  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Mux

• Trade Count: (0)
Home Defense Shotgun??
« on: March 25, 2003, 02:02:15 AM »
I would like to build a home defense shotgun but the only thing I have to work with is an old JC Higgins Model 20.  Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket parts for this old gun?  I really only want  a pistol grip and maybe a magazine extension.  Thanks.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Home Defense Shotgun??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 05:45:55 AM »
You'll most likely come out ahead if you buy a new one already set up the way you want it. Mossbergs and Rem 870s are cheap and plentiful, and you can get them any way you want.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
Second
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 06:58:07 AM »
I second Nobade's motion...and would lean toward the 870.  You could also keep your eye out for used police shotguns.  I picked up a pretty cool Ithaca 37 that still had the brass plate on the pistol grip with the agency assigned number on it for a song & dance once.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Mux

Home Defense Shotgun??
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 01:50:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I own an 870 but have been using it to shoot clays and to be my all around shotgun.  I am still kicking myself for not buying an 870 pump on 20 gauge that I saw at a show for $115 a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, in the area of Ohio that I live in, used shotguns are almost more expensive than used.  I have not seen any police turn-ins.  I hit the gun shows at least every other month so I do keep an eye out.  Thanks for the recomendation