Author Topic: NEF shot gun barrels  (Read 1253 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
NEF shot gun barrels
« on: March 16, 2006, 08:35:52 AM »
Hi,

I do not have a shotgun barrel for my NEF, but I do have some rifle barrels.  My next purchase will be a couple of 12 ga barrels:  The 28" removeable chokes and the 22" fixed choke.  

The 28" will be for birds, the 22" for buck-shot and slugs.  I will put some type of sight on the 22".  

Here are a few questions I have concerning the 12 ga barrels:

1)  Do they need the "o-ring" fix as the rifles do?  

2)  What does lengthening the forcing cone do for a shotgun barrel?  Would this be something good to do for a Handi 12 ga barrel?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Matt

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
NEF shot gun barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:35:35 PM »
No I don't think you'll need the o ring "fix" for a shotgun.  

In theory lengthening the forcing cone reduces recoil and improves patterns.  It doesn't always improve patterns and the recoil thing is subject to personal interpitation.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
NEF shot gun barrels
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:42:32 AM »
I would burnish the barrel and pattern it before I paid for a forcing cone job. As for the 22" barrel they are great for carrying but if you want it to shoot slugs and buckshot you should call CS and see if they have any tracker1 barrels left. They come with sights and are cyl bore.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
NEF shot gun barrels
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:18:50 AM »
The last I heard they had some Tracker I barrels left in both 12 and 20 gauge. I have one of each and they are GREAT for shots of about 75 yards and under and the slugs are MUCH cheaper than the sabots. If your hunting is similar to mine in the forested northeast they work exceptionally well since I cannot usually see more than about 40-50 yards where I hunt anyway, unless I'm on an old tote road....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
NEF shot gun barrels
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 04:31:32 AM »
Thanks for the "heads up" on the Tracker 1 barrel.  That would save some expense of having the sights added later!

Matt

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
NEF shot gun barrels
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:59:07 AM »
One more question concerning the tracker I barrels...what is their length?

I checked with CS and they do have them in stock but I forgot to ask the length...  

Cost is $55 plus $10 shipping and $15 for fitting.

Matt

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
Barrel length
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 01:53:51 PM »
:grin: The Tracker barrels are 24in. :grin:  Good shooting.  Hunman55

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Barrel length
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:32 AM »
Quote from: hunman55
:grin: The Tracker barrels are 24in. :grin:  Good shooting.  Hunman55

I purchased the sights for the Tracker II and soldered them onto my 28" smoothbore Pardner 12 Gauge barrel using a propane torch.  The sights were around $45.00 (ouch!) but I'm glad I did it.  I've got it set up so it shoots about an inch high at 25 yards.  That puts it about an inch low at 50 yards.  So it stays with in an inch or so and is very repeatable (shooting Federal Tru-Ball Foster slugs).  I wouldn't have expected this from a smoothbore.  I enjoy shooting double ought buckshot from it also along with an occasional round of #6's.  

I bought mine used for $40.00 so I payed more for the sights than I did for the gun.  I'd do it over again in a heart beat.  I have had more fun with this gun than I could have ever imagined.  The best part is you can take chances doing things to it.  If you screw it up you're not out much.  A person has everything to gain and not much to lose.  

It's a hoot!   :grin:

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
NEF shot gun barrels
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 10:11:51 AM »
Well,

I sent my handi-rifle off to the factory.  Should be getting a new tracker I barrel and a 28" barrel soon.  I ordered the barrel with the turkey choke.  I also ordered the modified lead and modified steel choke tubes.  With these two barrels and these choke tubes, I can cover a lot of ground.  I plan on using the Tracker barrel for slugs and buck-shot, the 28 in with turkey barrel for...turkey (never been turkey hunting but want to try), the modified lead choke for dove, and the modified steel choke for duck and geese.  Can't wait to get them and try them out.

I also just recieved a stock and fore-arm set from Gunstocks, Inc.  I got the woodland camo style.  They look nice and I think they will make a nice camo shotgun.  Very good service from Gunstocks!  I ordered on-line and had the goods maybe three days later.  That was quick! (The only thing I do not like about them is that they do not smell like wood when you sand them.  They smell like glue.  But, that is a minor inconvienience and certainly not a reason to not buy.  I recommend them to anyone wondering whether or not to make a purchase.)

When I get everything together, I will take pics and post...I guess I gotta learn how to do that.

Matt