Author Topic: #2 Alloy $1.02/LB  (Read 862 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »
I just got off the phone with Art Green (Metals for Casting) in Beverly Hills and he sez #2 alloy is 1.02/LB plus shipping.  He also said the Chinese are buying up scrap lead as fast as they can get it.  They pay 65 cents/LB for wheel weights and up to 85 cents/LB for battery lead.  The Chinese economy is going to be a juggerdnaught that'll rock us hard it we don't wise up and put some restrictions on them.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline LAH

• Contributor
#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 02:59:10 PM »
Casting alloy has gone throught the roof over the last year or so....Creeker
Joshua 1:9

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
Art
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 06:26:42 AM »
I ordered a ton of linotype from Art back in October to be delivered at the rate of 100 pounds a month.  So far I've only gotten 300 pounds.  Seems that the post office is giving him fits.  It is approximately $8 for 75 pounds.  Art only puts 50 pounds in a box but even then the post office is giving him hell.  My post office also hates those boxes.  It is quite an experience.  They have deliberately destroyed some boxes and refused to deliver others.  I'm complained both by phone and e-mail and basically been told to do to H#$%.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 07:57:07 AM »
We've had postal troubles due to the flat rate boxes. I find calling the US Postal Service does the most good along with your congress people. The toll free number of the postal service in DC is the one to use for complaints plus they can connect you with any post office they have thereby keeping you toll free. There is a chain of command and if you use it to full advantage the proper toes will be stepped on. I've had very good results. And believe me I've used these flat rate boxes a plenty. nuf said...Creeker

• Avid Poster
#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:50:06 AM »
The people at the Flagstaff Post Office were just plain hateful.  They said that the boxes were to heavy.  They had 50 pounds in them.  They refused to deliver them.  They also ruptured each and every one of them.  I honestly do no think that that was an accident.  Our local carrier is excellent but the main Flagstaff Post Office is NOT!

I called the 800 number to complain.  They told me that NO, absolutely postively NO, postal employee has to lift a box of any type that they think is too heavy.  The person on the 800 number was polite but made it VERY VERY clear that they did not have to lift a heavy box and they did not have to deliver it.  

I'm going to call Art and see about switching back to UPS.  Those people do their jobs!

Offline LAH

• Contributor
#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 10:10:47 AM »
Mr. Walters some of our customers were required to go to the post office to pick their bullets up. The carriers wouldn't delive them. I shipped lots of boxes weighing 68-69 pounds. Some were destroyed and the post office paid us as we insured all shipments. For us it was like getting two orders. Good luck with your quest. God Bless.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:38:11 AM »
Dusty,

Couldn't agree more about China but the scarry thing is look at what you buy today about everything I look at has Made in China on it.  What's the answer?

Concerning this flat rate shipping.  I really don't think the PO had in mind shipping lead and frankly can't see this lasting very long.  You go with anyother shipping method and you'll pay around $40.00 to ship this weight.

Turk

Remember to pray for our troops.
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

• Avid Poster
Inexpensive Linotype
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
Bob Ruggles (1-417-678-7693) has linotype for sale shipped flat rate via the post office.  50 pounds to a box, at least in theory.  I've got two shipments from him.  In the first, 300 pounds, the post office ruptured each and ever box.  I don't think that that was accidental.  Probably lost 40 pounds.  In the second, 600 pounds, Bob had it specially packaged complete with a post office huge plastic container for each 50 pound box and its own "cart" for the airplane.  This time the post office "lost" only one 50 pound box.  Considering how well this was packaged I don't that that that loss was accidental either.  I think that they just hate these flat rate heavy boxes.

BUT this is good linotype and it is comparatively cheap.

I don't know what Bob does for a living but I know he bought some property that had an old abandoned building on it.  When he cut threw the vines on the outside of the building with a power saw he found an old print show complete with TONS of linotype.

He has been selling the linotype.  Has about two tons left.  Expects that to be gone in under 90 days.  I'd buy more if I had the money.

Dealing with the post office over these shipments has been an unpleasant experience but that is not Bob's fault.  If you need linotype, I'd suggest buying this.

I placed an order with Art Green for 100 pounds a month for the indefinite future back in October.  So far I've only gotten 300 pounds.  My sense of it is that the post office is giving Art so much trouble that he just isn't shipping.

Offline Dusty Miller

#2 Alloy $1.02/LB
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 09:25:34 PM »
Yeah, when I talked to him he was really unhappy with their service.  What bugs me is that they ACCEPT the heavy boxes and then won't deliver them after they have your money.  Maybe a constant barrage of complaints to your congressperson will help.  I'm of the opinion that the USPS in an anachronism that'll be gone in fifty years.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!