Author Topic: Pack Parrott??????????  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Kansas Boomer

• Trade Count: (0)
Pack Parrott??????????
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »
Just got my cannon back from the Machine shop. Supposed to be a 1/3 scale parrott. Obviously the carriage is not correct, but the best I can do right now. Hope to have the correct carriage and wheels this summer. 1.12" bore, removable breech plug, #11 cap ignition. Don't have cannon lock or rear sight installed yet.  

Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline Charcoal Burner

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:24:33 AM »
Looks Very Nice Kansas Boomer,, what are ya planning on shooting out of it? Does that have a barrel liner or is it turned like that? How about a few specs on the design,, Thanks Mike
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then,

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:38:47 AM »
Excellent!

Looking forward to seeing action shots!

Best use I've ever seen for those wheels, but it will look better with spokes.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Kansas Boomer

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:23:58 PM »
Cat, thanks for fixing my posting and photo mess.  That is the best use I have found for those donut spares.---Mike, I shoot 1" steel balls with a denim patch out of it. Usually 250-300 gr. of ff Goex, 400 gr. for a blank load. The barrel is a piece of oil well plunger, just chrome plated DOM tubing. The barrel is 27" long with a 24" bore. The breech plug is a 1"x3" ss bolt, with a 2" ball on it. It has 1" trunnions welded into a 2" id x 3" od sleeve. The parrott sleeve is 3" id x 4" od. The gun was always muzzel heavy, but not anymore. The elevation screw is a small screw jack inside a metal box, with a 4" handwheel, works real well.  Boomer

Offline Kansas Boomer

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 03:37:19 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get plans for a 1/3 scale field carriage for this cannon?  Thanks,   Boomer

Offline GGaskill

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
The best source is Antique Ordnance Publications (see the "Where to find" thread.)  Their plans are all full scale but that shouldn't be a problem.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Kuntrykouple

• http://www.missouricannonworks.com
Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »
I commend you, I have often wondered  why  when someone wants or builds a cannon does it have to be period? Why not combine form with function. Excellent use of modern materials. Both of those cannon are truly works of art!!!!
Missouri Cannon Works

All Scales of Cannons and Mortars

www.Missouricannonworks.com

Offline Kansas Boomer

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 05:34:06 AM »
Took the mini Parrott to the range for the first time Saturday. Mostly to work up loads and test the new parts. Still don't have a rear sight, so the firing was for effect, not for accuracy. 300 gr of ff Goex and a patched 1" steel ball worked real well. Had no problems with the spring loaded cannon lock and the removable breech plug. That plug sure made cleaning a snap. Only problem encountered was some side to side movement in the trunnions, will have to work on that.  boomer

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 06:00:43 AM »
Seeing as how your are about 100 grs overloaded and a patched ball I wouldn't be surprised if things loosened up quite a bit. Pressures in that gun might be a bit high.  You keep shooting that and you will notice the breech plug will start loosening up and getting out of alignment

As I recall the maximum recommend load for a 1 inch bore is 195 grs. of Cannon grade. I don't have  my Copy of Switlik right at hand to verify. (South African Customs has it this week)

One of the things we are going to do on the new forum is set up a safe load chart and post it at the top of the board.

Have you considered making sabots for your round ball?  Make one inch disk from a thin piece of of wood and use masking tape to hold the disk to the ball.  That will keep the ball from rolling out of the bore and you won't be jacking pressures up with a patched ball over FFG.

Despite the the fact that carriage is  not  a replica, it is very neat looking. Once you get some spoked wheels of some sort it will be realy cool. Could you post more details of the carriage.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 07:02:39 AM »
Quote from: Double D

I don't have  my Copy of Switlik right at hand to verify. (South African Customs has it this week)

When they find the book won't they label you as a terrorist, or are you relying on them extending you a professional courtesy?   :)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Kansas Boomer

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 04:51:12 AM »
Double D, Thanks for the safety info, I will reduce the loads. Think I will try the sabot, using the patch can be a pain. Sometimes the ball will get off the patch, when loading, then I have a patch and a ball stuck.  The axel on the carriage is 3"x4" steel tubing, rear hubs from a GM front wheel drive car fit right into the tube, with very little modification.  The wheels are GM donut spares. Had a hard time finding two with the same tread design. The trail is 1 1/2"x3" steel tubing. Makes a very stout little carriage. The trunnions rest in 1" pillow blocks, don't like their looks, but they work well. The elevation screw is a small screw jack inside a steel box, with a 4" handwheel, works very smoothly. Hope you get your book back from the S.A. inspectors. I have some good friends just North of Capetown and in Hermanus, beautiful country.  boomer

Offline Kansas Boomer

Sabot
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 06:48:20 AM »
Made up some sabot loads like Double D suggested. Used a 1 1/4" hole saw to cut out the sabot, used a large counter sink to cut a dimple for the ball to sit in. All the masking tape I had on hand was 1/4" pinstripe tape, it will have to do. Hope to give them a try Saturday morning. Will let you know the results.  Boomer

Offline Double D

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 07:13:15 AM »
Hey those are some serious sabots!!!  My guess is you are going to have twice as many holes in the target as shots fired!!

Offline GGaskill

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 08:17:41 AM »
Don't forget to include the sabot weight as part of the shot weight when determining loading data.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

Pack Parrott??????????
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 08:39:13 AM »

Offline Double D

Pack Parrott??????????