Author Topic: Happy St. Paddy's Day  (Read 280 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Happy St. Paddy's Day
« on: March 17, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »
May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.

There are many good reasons for drinking,
One has just entered my head.
If a man doesn't drink when he's living,
How in the hell can he drink when he's dead?

Happy St Paddys Day every one. Well Today it will be Corned Beef ( Venison  ) and cabbage. Of course the traditional taters and carrots  at least for us to go with it. I am not that big on the cabbage but it is traditional so I eat a bit of it. I started making Corned Venison quite a few years ago and I like it you really cannot tell the difference except that its leaner I find the taste about the same and I can make it for next to nothing so why not.

For those who want a good corned venison Recipe here is a good one from the Cabela's site.

Corned Venison

Get the flavor of a corned beef brisket with your venison roast.

Author: Cabela's Staff

Ingredients

2 to 3-pound brisket, flank, or shoulder roast up to 1 inch thick ( You can use the hindquarter pieces too I do)
2 quarts spring water or distilled water ( I just use tap water but I suppose it depends if you have good tasting water or not)
1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
1/2 cup tenderizing salt (e.g. Morton's Tenderquick®)
3 tablespoons sugar ( I normally add a bit more sugar )
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice ( I add a couple extra dried hot peppers)
2 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions: Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie. Place in large glass or pottery mixing bowl, or in large oven cooking bag. In glass or enamel saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling. Remove from heat; cool. Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; or, if using oven cooking bag, squeeze to remove air, then twist neck of bag and seal. Refrigerate 4 to 5 days, turning meat occasionally. Drain. Rinse meat with cold water.

To prepare corned meat, place in Dutch oven. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling; drain. Cover with cold water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until tender, 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.

GOOD STUFF!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.