Author Topic: Lee pro 4-20  (Read 534 times)

Offline mac266

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee pro 4-20
« on: March 17, 2006, 01:02:01 PM »
I have been slowly accumulating all the equipment to cast my own bullets.  Yesterday, I got the Lee Pro 4-20 melter, which was the last thing I needed.

This morning, I started in, only to realize that the valve adjustment screw is stripped.  Now I have 20 pounds of lead solidified in the melter, and a new part on the way.

Their customer service dept. handled it well, but why oh why did I bother with the Lee, anyway?
MAC

NRA Member and Certified Instructor
SASS Member
Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition Member

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms.  It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die."  - G.K. Chesterson

Offline lovedogs

• Avid Poster
Lee pro 4-20
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 05:02:24 AM »
Almost any manufacturer has a defect once in a while.  I've heard plenty of complaints on Lee's moulds and a few on their pots.  I'm on my second Lee pot.  My first was a 10 pounder and my present is a 20 pounder 'cuz I'm casting big 500 grainers now for .45-70's.  Both pots have worked perfectly.  I'm glad of that because I can't afford some of the other brands.  And I've never liked being ripped off.  Hey, they just melt lead.  It's not rocket science.  I appreciate Lee's dedication to providing a usable product at a more reasonable price.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
Lee pro 4-20
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:32:54 AM »
Agree with lovedogs.  

I bought a Lee 20 lb when I started casting for black powder cartridge in 1997.  So far, I've cast from that pot about 200 times - that is, about 200 separate casting sessions.  No problems.

The only thing I recommend (especially if you want match-quality bullets to shoot in competition) is to get yourself a lead thermometer.  Once I get my melt up to the proper temperature, I know, from experience, what number to put the setting on.  The Lee pot holds temperature just fine.