Author Topic: Shooting Foster Slugs From the New NEF Pump?  (Read 742 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shooting Foster Slugs From the New NEF Pump?
« on: March 18, 2006, 02:34:03 AM »
Word on the street is that Wally World is going to stop selling guns about mid April.  I need another gun like another hole in my head.  But if this is last call so to speak, I might spring for just one more.

I was eyeing the new Pardner pump synthetic in a 20 gauge.  My question is do you leave the "modified" screw in choke tube in place when you shoot foster slugs or is there a better idea?  I've heard that "improved cylinder" is a better way to go when shooting solid lead slugs.  I'm not sure they make an improved cylinder screw in choke for the NP1-2S6 Pump?  

I also see Wally World has it listed as a single shot pump on their web site instead of the actual 5 shot magazine capacity.  This can't be doing much for sales touting a single shot pump!

What say Scatter Gun enthusiasts?

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Shooting Foster Slugs From the New NEF Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:33:58 AM »
try the improved cylinder, or if you got som money go out and buy one of those rifled chokes that are like 5 inches long and use it to shoot forster slugs, the one i had on a mossy 500 shot great. there like $35 or so.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:29:01 AM »
Quote from: mitchell
try the improved cylinder, or if you got som money go out and buy one of those rifled chokes that are like 5 inches long and use it to shoot forster slugs, the one i had on a mossy 500 shot great. there like $35 or so.

Mitchel, did you mean shoot sabot slugs?  I thought the rifled choke was so you could shoot sabot slugs.  one$$$shot, as far as the single shot pump...maybe you get a magazine plug like with the Mossy's so young shooters can only load 1 round?  I guess I never read one of the descriptions that closely.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:27:59 AM »
nope i use plain winchester super x slugs ($2 a box) . lead was all that bad like people say but still its only 5 inches of tube and doesn't take that long to clean.

that old mossy was my favorite brush gun and could keep all rounds in a coffee can at 50 yards.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:15:03 AM »
So, the accuracy was better with the rifled choke than with the Improved Cyl?  Yeah, guess you're right, 5" alot easier to clean.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 08:37:29 AM »
I have done extensive testing with foster slugs and imp cyl, mod, full, and rifled chokes. The cheap Winchester slugs work best. The modified and rifled tubes were close. The edge going to the rifled tube if you keep it clean, 3" - 4"  3 shots @ 100yd with a 1.5x - 4.5x scope.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:36:37 PM »
The pardner pump takes mossberg 500 style chokes, so you can get virtually anything for it you want.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:36:08 PM »
Thanks Paul.  I appreciate that juicy tid bit.

Chuck