Author Topic: Accuracy in Bullseye: revolver vs semiauto  (Read 947 times)

Offline Ned

• Trade Count: (0)
Accuracy in Bullseye: revolver vs semiauto
« on: March 18, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »
I'm just getting started in Bullseye shooting.

I realize the vast majority of shooters use semiautos in this sport but I have always been a fan of revolvers.

I'm wondering how much of a handicap I am accepting if I were to use a revolver? Does the semiauto offer dramatically more inherent accuracy?
Is that its' main advantage or is it more of time lost cocking and realigning the sights on a revolver?

I'm thinking of a quality .22 revoler (S&W Model 617) versus a Ruger Mark II. I would add a red dot sight to either.

Thank you.

Ned

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:33:06 AM »
A fine tuned revolver can indeed be a fine bullseye gun. The advantage of the pistol over the revolver is in the number of chambers. The revolver has six or more that must be dimensionally identical and align perfectlly with the forcing cone to get maxium accuracy. If you take a high quality revolver and number the chambers, then shoot groups with each chamber, from a Ransom rest------------you are likely to find some POI shift between chambers. It may not be enough to matter when the gun is hand fired, but it will be there. If you want to shoot Bullseye with a revolver, go ahead, you'll still outshoot some pistols if you do your part!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 01:37:28 AM »
Get one of each---you will sooner than you can think. :twisted:  :twisted:  :-)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:53:43 AM »
Accuracy isn't the issue, it's speed in the rapid fire part of the match. You can learn to cock the revolver fast enough to become a good shot, but in the long run you'll  do better with an auto. The best advice I can give you-- because I learned this the hard way in bullseye-- is to find out what is commonly in use in bullseye matches and use that.

At the low end, this means a Buckmark Bullseye or Ruger Government auto with a trigger job and a red dot scope.

Bullseye is a great game that you can play for a long time, so I encourage you to get equipment you will be happy with.

I have a 617 revolver and a 38 revolver, and both are very accurate. But I do not use them any more in bullseye, favoring the autos instead.
Safety first

Offline Ned

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:13:37 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

Questor:

When you suggest the Ruger Government model are you referring to the 22/45 series?

Thanks again.

Ned

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:24:33 AM »
Ned,

The Government model is based on the regular MKII frame(all metal), it has a 6 7/8" barrel, and the ones that I have seen are blued.  They also have the regular "fat" bull barrel, not the slab side like the competition target model.  HTH.

~~~Amos

P.S.  I found this on gunbroker...they look like this one

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=45359161
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"