Author Topic: Cabela's Pine Ridge scope  (Read 2111 times)

Offline KP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cabela's Pine Ridge scope
« on: March 18, 2006, 02:07:45 PM »
Anyone here have experience with Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes? I bought two single shot 243's and put a Bushnell Legend on one and the Cabela's 6X40 on the other. The Bushnell shoots 1" groups at 100 yds. The Pine Ridge shoots 6" to 8" groups at 100 yds. There also seems to be either too little or way too much bullet impact changes when I make adjustments. I checked all screws and kept the barrel clean for every shot. I had a Tasco frustrate me once before, but thought I'd take a chance on the Pine Ridge. Advice needed...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »
I wouldn't blame the scope unless you've isolated the problem by swapping scopes, if the issue follows the scope, send it to Cabelas for repair/replacement, if it doesn't, get the rifle fixed or change loads, 2  identical model rifles don't always like the same loads.

Cabelas Optics Warranty
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »
I remembered about an old Simmons 44 mag that I had on my 30-06. It never failed me, so I swapped the scopes out. I'm going back to the range tomorrow with some Federal and some Remington bullets. Maybe I can isolate the problem now. More later...

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 01:24:26 AM »
Do you bump the scope after making an adjustment?
I always bump the center of the scope with my palm after making an adjustment. That is the way I was taught, maybe just an old wives tale but it works for me

Offline Harold50

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:21:51 AM »
I have a 2X7 that came with a CVA package.

It is now on an NEF 22Mag Sportster and it works great, I mean really great. Rifle and scope shoot into a dime at 60 yards. The combination upsets the local rabbits something awful.

I do not know how well it would last  on a hard-recoiling centerfire rifle.

Best wishes,
harold
Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...

Offline KP

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
Well the Simmons 44 did the trick, 1" groups at 100 yds are no problem. Groups are the same for 100 grain Remington and Federal. And yes it is an NEF 243 in Stainless Steel. The question still remains though. What's everyones opinion on Pine Ridge scopes? I know I won't buy another.

Offline Adirondack Joe

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 07:24:47 AM »
I have a Cabelas Pine Ridge 2.5X32 shotgun scope on my 12 gauge slug gun and it has worked perfectly. I'm quite happy with it. I did have it lose its zero once, but that was the fault of the mount, not the scope. The scope has held up, has an excellent picture for hunting purposes, and is an all around good package as far as I'm concerned.
I hunt, therefore I am

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 08:29:05 AM »
Have not used the Cabelas Pine Ridge, but have got a Cabelas Alasken Guide scope in the 6.5x20x52 with the 30mm tube. Have it on my rem sendero 7mm rum. has held true and is very clear and the light gatherin is good enough to git ya into sum serious trouble.

Offline MS10point

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »
I would be curious to know who makes the Pine Ridge scopes for Cabela's.For years I have used a 3x12x52 30 mm tube Tasco on my .243. I have no complaints with it. I think it was about $135.00 with the rings included (1987 I think). I did notice however, it appears that the same exact scope is called the Alaskan Guide scope in Cabela's???? Anyone else notice this?

See Ya,

TP
10Pt
When life gives you lemons.....go to deer camp!

Offline verhoositz

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 10:52:29 AM »
A super picky buddy has had that same Pine Ridge 6x40 on his Whelen for lotsa years with no problems...send yours back to Cabellas and have them trade it out for another one. everybody makes a bad scope every now and then ...and that's why I only buy stuff with good warranty's or from retailers that stand behind their products.
Ron
Our world and it's challenges have changed - the solutions are new

Offline mhans938

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
I bought a 4-12x40 PineRidge last year and had same type of problem then the it froze at 7 power.  Took it back to the local Cabela's store and they gave me store credit since I could not find my reciept (less $10 for some reason).  

I was at the Kearney store this last Sat. and bought a Premium Guide series in a 6-20x40 for my .223 NEf for prairie dogs.  Got a really good deal on their display model that they were closing out.  

By the way, keep the reciept if you buy their brand.  While I was getting a backorder done on some .38 Super Auto brass at customer service,  a guy came in with a older pair of Cabela's brand binoculars that had something come loose inside.  They were not going to give him anything for them because they were about 10 years old and he had no reciept.

Mark