Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Brand Of Foster Slugs?  (Read 586 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What's Your Favorite Brand Of Foster Slugs?
« on: March 22, 2006, 03:15:19 AM »
Since I've got my Pardner 12 gauge converted over to a Tracker one I've been having a lot of fun with different foster slugs.  Its light out when I get home from work finally and I can shoot in my back pasture.  I'm wondering if anyone has a pet brand of fosters so to speak and why?  

If you look on the web you can find ballistic charts for most of these slugs.  I seem to be getting better performance than they claim for most of the ammunition I've tried.  Out of about 35 shots I've had one dud and one I had to hit twice.  Other than that most seem to be about the same (good) out of my gun.  I notice one brand has super hard primers.  I notice another leaves a lot of residue in the barrel.

My personal favorite at this time is the Federal brand.  When I was a kid I liked the Remington better.  I'm not sure which changed.  Maybe both of us.

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »
When I used to shoot a smoothbore, I liked Brenneke's the best.  You should get a bunch of different kinds & see which your gun likes.

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:57:46 PM »
Quote from: Bugtussle
When I used to shoot a smoothbore, I liked Brenneke's the best.  You should get a bunch of different kinds & see which your gun likes.

That's exactly what I've been doing.  I haven't fired any Brenneke slug as of yet.  What is it that you liked about them?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 03:39:18 PM »
I prefer the Brennekes also, the 12 gauge 2 3/4" standard Brenneke-Rottwiel" MP's. They are fairly inexpensive, about $4.00 a box of 5, very accurate, don't recoil much at all and are deadly on game. They have stopped making the Brenneke-Rotwiell but you can still get Brennekes almost anywhere. Don't get the Magnums unless you are going to hunt grizzley bears or elephants, they are not needed for deer and kick much harder than the standard 2 3/4" slugs. My thoughts anyway....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Buckhammer74

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
My 870 likes federal and Remington sluggers. I can get 4" groups standing at 50 yards. Winchester slugs on the other hand hit like buckshot.

Offline Buckhammer74

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
I forgot to add that the 4" groups are with bead sight.  The winnys are more like 10" groups.

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:38:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas.  I've been looking the Brenneke's up on the web and came across this site.  I thought it was kind of cool.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/ShotGun/

Offline WV_Hillbilly

I've been fortunate
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »
I've had considerable success with the 15 round packs of Winchester Foster Slugs.   The Brenneke K.O. slugs worked very well also, but I've not been able to find any lately (but they aren't Foster slugs, so that doesn't really matter).  I save the Magnum slugs (esp. the heavyweight Federal slugs) for when I'm hunting bear.  They have a tremendous extra bundle of recoil--but they are much heavier, so it's no surprise about that.

The Remingtons and Federals shot about the same, with the Winchesters edging ahead slightly.  ALL three brands were plently good for hunting.  Most people don't practice much with their slug gun--which bluntly, is kind of dumb!  If the recoil is that bothersome, then maybe something less noticeable should be used.  I have the option of using a rifle in my State, but the heavy cover & close range where I hunt is perfect for slug use.  It makes lots of sense to find out what works for you and stick to it (as long as you're able to find them to buy anyway!).

Good Luck and Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly