Author Topic: boresighter ?  (Read 696 times)

Offline carsonsig

• Trade Count: (0)
boresighter ?
« on: March 22, 2006, 07:20:07 AM »
I have been looking for a boresighting solution (cheap) to get on the paper quickly.  

manufacturer

is one that I found, actually this one on ebay

ebay one, I think last years model

I dont need benchrest accuracy, just want to get on at 25 or 50 without a lot of BS.  is this a reasonable solution?  seems similar to allot of the other ones, caliber specific inserts thT go in the bolt space, a laser light etc...  is there anything comperable under $50?  thanks in advance!

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
boresighter ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »
I bought a laser boresighter from wally world for around $39.  It works great and gets you on paper fast.  It also works great with all calibers.  I used it when I bought my Mueller scope for my 30-30.  All it took was six shots to get zeroed.  It was actually dead on the first shot but I like to set my 30-30 for 2.5 inches high@100 yards. Just check Walmart before you pay shipping and order it online.  The one from Walmart is just as good as the one you left a thread on.  Good luck!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
boresighter ?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »
I bought the Cabelas Laser bore sighter when it was on sale for less than it is now, it works extremely well.

Tim

Cabelas Bore Sighter
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
boresighter ?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
Why not pull the bolt out and sight down the bore at the target.  Worked for me for 30+ years.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
boresighter ?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 04:07:33 PM »
Quote from: whitedogone
Why not pull the bolt out and sight down the bore at the target.  Worked for me for 30+ years.

That works real good on a semi-auto, pump or levergun!! :roll:

Tim

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
boresighter ?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:21:05 PM »
Quote from: whitedogone

If your shooting a Bolt Action or Single shot, I agree with him. Easy enough, and doesn't cost anything. After a few times doing it it's easy to get the hang of.
Most bore sighters I have used worked decent, but I still go back to this method that dad showed me when I was a boy. Bore sighters never seem to get me much closer to my target sight than if I did it open bored with my own eyes.
I would only get a bore sighter if I were shooting lever, semi's, and pumps like quick said. If you are just using bolts or even single shots, I wouldn't bother. Just my 2 cents.
-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
boresighter ?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »
I've done the look-thru-the-bore method when I could since I was old enough to know what I was doing which is the better part of 50yrs or so, just bought the laser bore sighter in the last year and I really like it!! If I hadn't got it on sale for $40, I probably would still be without it, but I'm glad I have it now. It's not anything like the old mechanical bore sighters if that's what anyone is comparing it to, not in the least.

Tim

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
boresighter ?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 12:38:37 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
That works real good on a semi-auto, pump or levergun!! :roll:

Tim

Why on earth would you what to put a scope on a shotgun or Red Rider?  :wink:    WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
boresighter ?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 04:06:17 AM »
Here's what I used to do: got close enough to the target so I could get on the paper and fired a shot. Put the rifle on a big pasteboard box with Vs cut in it to hold the gun and aimed at the bullet hole. Adjusted the scope until the crosshairs were on the bullseye. This got me close enough that I could do minor adjustments and finish sighting in. I use a boresighter now but the aim at the group and move the crosshairs trick would still help zero a rifle.

Offline killdeer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
boresighter ?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:37:12 AM »
I have been thinking about a bore sighter myself. Leupold has a magnetic one so it fits all calibers?
 I have been using Luep DDs but GB uses Burris Signature rings. I figure he knows a little something so I looked into it.
 Burris Sigs have inserts to protect your scope from ring marks. The inserts come in a kit with different thickness so you can use them to aim your scope at the boresighter and maintain your crosshair alignment at the optical center. This should provide better clarity since the best view is in the middle and preserve your adjustment range.
 Is this correct?

KD

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
boresighter ?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »
Works for me, KD! Although you only need to use the optional offset inserts if reticle alignment is off by a lot. The standard "0" inserts that come with the Signature rings are normally fine if base and bore alignment are true. The reticle must be centered first tho so you know where you are at to begin with. Most new scopes should come centered, but not all are. I use the Leupold mirror method to accomplish that.

Tim